2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Gillian wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 17:39
Good question, I am wondering that myself!

I would think if qualification is wet but the race is dry, they would opt for a full dry setup. You would think the rest would go for more DF to do a decent qualification in the wet, which would give RB an advantage in the race.

Or is rain expected on Sunday?
Good Q is nothing for Verstappen in this race. He will start back anyway. So I think they are expecting rain sunday. Or if it would be dry, maybe they are expecting to use drs to stay with car at front and overtake it at a turn entry or outing of turn which is redbull perform good at. I don't know, just questioning.

aral

Please.... Can you please discuss the Russian GP on the dedicated thread.

Unf

I can't find any other word to describe Perez, than - useless. When Mercedes is doing well - he is useless. When Mercedes is on troubles - he is still useless. RBR still fightning for WTC by having 1,5 drivers...

Ryar

Unf wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:42
I can't find any other word to describe Perez, than - useless. When Mercedes is doing well - he is useless. When Mercedes is on troubles - he is still useless. RBR still fightning for WTC by having 1,5 drivers...
I don't understand why they signed him for 2022 and not Gasly. Atleast they should swap them for 2022.
Hakuna Matata!

Big Tea

Ryar wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:56
Unf wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:42
I don't understand why they signed him for 2022 and not Gasly. Atleast they should swap them for 2022.
I think the best for them would be to bring back Daniil Kvyat. He did get a bit of a bad rep there but I think it was down to the pressure he was getting. He is quick and experienced in the team and car, and I think worth another shot.
As you say, he does not have to do much to make it a good deal
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Bill

perez really needs to up his game today shows experience does not pay the young were on top its like running a spring the young usually do better than old .gasly was quick all weekend team tried to safe tires and ruined it for him so an overall bad day for honda powered cars

wowgr8

I don't know what Horner and Marko see in Perez. Horner always praises him despite his diabolical performances post France, then giving him the extension? I feel sorry for Max really, the WCC is easily Mercedes but Max will struggle in the Drivers championship without a rear gunner

Why would Red Bull pass up on Bottas??

godlameroso

It's not an easy car to get the maximum out of, but it's very fast in the race, and when he doesn't bin it, Perez has a lot of pace. The only thing he lacks is being more analytical, and that is a skill you can develop.

Bottas is not an upgrade to Perez that's why.
Saishū kōnā

Unf

godlameroso wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 19:35
Bottas is not an upgrade to Perez that's why.
Don't agree. Bottas won a couple quali against Hamilton - you can't do that if you are bad driver. Albon/Gasy/Perez are unable to get even close to Max. I think Bottas could be a mega upgrade, as a wingman of course.

I think Toto told him that he will help him to get a seat, but Bottas was forced to not talk at all with RBR. For obvious reasons.

nzjrs

wowgr8 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:49
I've said for years bottas should have gone to RB, but simultaneously I've never thought they had an ability to get him.

Big Tea

Does anyone know if Bottas applied for or was offered the seat? Maybe he does not want to go there even though it would undoubtedly be his best shot at more wins.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Raleigh

wowgr8 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:49
I don't know what Horner and Marko see in Perez. Horner always praises him despite his diabolical performances post France, then giving him the extension? I feel sorry for Max really, the WCC is easily Mercedes but Max will struggle in the Drivers championship without a rear gunner

Because the problem is Red Bull not Perez and the team knows it.

Like the old saying, once is an accident, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action. Or in this case something going seriously wrong at Red Bull for the second driver.

Gasly impressed as a rookie at TR, has been both extremely fast and extremely consistent since returning to Alpha Tauri, yet struggled at RBR and couldn't really get anywhere near Max. Okay, that could be a fluke.

Albon again impressed at TR, got promoted to RBR and immediately struggled, nowhere near Max in race or quali. And we know Albon is good, he came through from F2 with close rivals Russell and Norris, both hugely talented. So 2 times, that's a strong coincidence.

And now Perez, very experienced and absolutely brilliant in the Racing Point last year, moves to Red Bull and you guessed it, immediately struggling, can't get near Max.

Three fast/talented drivers, all badly struggling at RBR. So either Max Verstappen is the reincarnated talent of Jim Clark and Ayrton Senna combined making a midfield car look like a championship contender or there's a real problem at Red Bull. Probably the car in all honesty, at least that seems to be what Marko and Horner think now. We've all seen Ricciardo's problems at McLaren to know that sometimes it can be really hard to get on top of a car that requires a unique driving style.

Dropping in another driver would not help, all Red Bull can really do is wait for 2022 and hope the all new car provides a reset.

Gillian

I disagree on that. Gasly did not impress me on his first stint at Torro Rosso. He seems to be doing great now, but how good is it actually? His team mate is seriously error prone so maybe Yuki is just underperforming. I don't know.

Albon impressed at Toro Rosso? I don't see anything impressive... I saw a failing Gasly and a kneejerk reaction to Promote Albon. It was a bad decision imo but Albon still did a decent job at the beginning. He just never could get the gap to Verstappen closer.

And now Perez... Brilliant driver? His qualification pace is not the best and he is a bit error prone. A lot of his better race results where of the type "go long on hard tires and get lucky" and tada a tire whisperer was born.... I know I am exaggerating, but it's tiring to read the same thing over and over again. Hulkenberg was a better, faster and cleaner driver than Perez but the man just made his few mistakes on the worst possible times in his career.

Riciardo is a better driver than all the above mentioned and he, in his prime, struggled to keep up with Verstappen when the latter was still developing as a F1 driver. I honestly don't understand why people can be so surprised by the gap between Verstappen and Gasly/Albon/Perez.

And to add to that, yes Verstappen is the first driver since Senna which makes me feel like I am watching Senna again. I don't know why that would be so hard to accept?

Schumacher was the best of his time, Alonso and Hamilton after that and right now I would rate Verstappen higher.

Jambier

Gillian wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 08:14

Schumacher was the best of his time, Alonso and Hamilton after that and right now I would rate Verstappen higher.
I agree with that but I think RB should focus more on the second car, having someone really good and reliable that can be 3tenth behind VES is the target.

But indeed not easy to know who.
2022 cars will be brand new and PER will be at his second season with RB, let’s hope he could be at the right level

djones

My thoughts are that Max has a bespoke car and team built around him.

If we look at the struggles Ricciardo has had since moving it’s easy to see how a great driver can turn to nothing. It’s not that Norris is loads better, it’s that sometimes things don’t suit your style.

Perez is not as good as Max. But I bet in a car that was designed to work for both of them he would be a hell of a lot closer, especially in the race.