2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

While I understand it's hard to predict the rain, surely they could see on the radar that heavy rain was coming, just like others saw it, but in the end it was Norris who felt so strongly about staying on softs. It is what it is.

From a team perspective, if they pitted for Inters and Hamilton stayed out, worst result Norris could get is P2 as the gap to P3 was 50 or so seconds. The best decision obviously would be to pit at the same time as Hamilton but I guess they couldn't be sure if Mercedes was bluffing.

Gutted for the result, but very happy that my prediction was correct. The speed deficit toward Mercedes is not that huge if the circumstances play into our favor. Qualifying well and having some buffer between our cars and them does allow the team to hold on to the position, especially on the tracks where overtaking might be more difficult.

McL-H
McL-H

How many penalty points does Lando have? It’s very unclear on F1’s website. At some places I see 10 points other places 8 points.

Darth-Piekus

bauc wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:05
The worst thing about today is Lando screaming to his race engineer to Shut UP, for a moment he reminder me that he is still a kid and this is his only 3rd season in F1, he has still a lot to learn and the team can take BS from the drivers, they need to have a firm hand on who is making the calls.
True. The team must improve on that domain in order to be a championship winning team. To be able to react quickly in those kind of situations and always think of the long term instead of the short term. That makes a championship winning team.

Macklaren
Macklaren

I have no words...

Actually I do...Team Ferrari need to buy a lottery ticket after each race. They will be fully funded for next year

Also the team know that they cost Lando a win by not overruling him. Both the team and Lando will come back stronger. Also need to give the team kudos for their excellent strategy for the first 50 laps of the race.

Darth-Piekus

Let's keep the positives from this race. Just like in Monza we were going for 1-2 at some point and on merit. We got a pole on merit. I am sure the incidents at Spa and here will make Lando and the team better. Lando after all is not the first or the last Mclaren driver gutted in the last 2 laps by sheer luck. All this will make him better.

Zynerji

Hugely impressed with McLaren.

Landos pit call should have been "Box this lap for the win." He would have complied.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

bauc wrote:
The worst thing about today is Lando screaming to his race engineer to Shut UP, for a moment he reminder me that he is still a kid and this is his only 3rd season in F1, he has still a lot to learn and the team cant take BS from the drivers, they need to have a firm hand on who is making the calls.
The driver always makes the call in changeable conditions… That has always been the case and will be in the future.

In regards to the “Shut Up”, when he was been given the grid positions, he didn’t need that information, he was focus on not making a single mistake with Hamilton 1 second behind him… When the driver needs to focus, the information has to be either what he requests or what is critical… Add to that the pressure and stress of the situation, leading the GP and an honest chance at your first race win, the shut up becomes a non-issue

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

blastdoman wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:07
Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:03
So we have a 18 point lead over Ferrari and let's hope there isn't a penalty due to rain circumstances. Next stop Turkey. Are there any other GPs where we can have the upper hand against Ferrari?
Common sense tells me that they should not penalize Lando, but you know, the FIA ​​stewards, in that sense sometimes they have little
Common sense is the least common of the senses

ferrarifire
ferrarifire

Ferrari took similiar gamble like Norris by not pitting Lecrec...he was behind Ves till the rain came...defentely ferrari is not lucky considering the circumstances
Macklaren wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:09
I have no words...

Actually I do...Team Ferrari need to buy a lottery ticket after each race. They will be fully funded for next year

Also the team know that they cost Lando a win by not overruling him. Both the team and Lando will come back stronger. Also need to give the team kudos for their excellent strategy for the first 50 laps of the race.
Last edited by ferrarifire on 26 Sep 2021, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

I think that a penalty should be harsh considering he was driving with slicks on full wet conditions.

bauc

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:13
bauc wrote:
The worst thing about today is Lando screaming to his race engineer to Shut UP, for a moment he reminder me that he is still a kid and this is his only 3rd season in F1, he has still a lot to learn and the team cant take BS from the drivers, they need to have a firm hand on who is making the calls.
The driver always makes the call in changeable conditions… That has always been the case and will be in the future.

In regards to the “Shut Up”, when he was been given the grid positions, he didn’t need that information, he was focus on not making a single mistake with Hamilton 1 second behind him… When the driver needs to focus, the information has to be either what he requests or what is critical… Add to that the pressure and stress of the situation, leading the GP and an honest chance at your first race win, the shut up becomes a non-issue
I understand all that, but his attuite cant be like that, the only man that can do that is Kimi whith his ''Shut Up I know what I'm doing'' which has been approved from fans around the world :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

Lando has had so much potential achievement that he’s earned on merit taken away from him that he’s just deserves the luckiest, flukiest, scrappiest win ever
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

I am hoping we have a good Turkish grand prix. Need something good for Lando to drown my sorrow. The guy didn't deserve what happened today.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

What happens if Lando gets a race ban due to accumulated points? Are the points voided completely? It will be a long year if it doesn't clear up.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:24
I am hoping we have a good Turkish grand prix. Need something good for Lando to drown my sorrow. The guy didn't deserve what happened today.
Look on the positives. He got pole position and a week ago he got P2 (in a McLaren 1-2). This will be hard to swallow but it will give him experience that sometimes he needs to take more input from the team in choosing a strategy. It's better to make this mistake now than when fighting for a championship (hopefully soon).