2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:25
What happens if Lando gets a race ban due to accumulated points? Are the points voided completely? It will be a long year if it doesn't clear up.
If he gets penalty points for what he did today then that’ll be just stupid, the safest thing he did was to cross the line again and come into the pits as his car wasn’t fit for the conditions.
What did Hamilton receive when he crossed the white line coming into the pits at the 2019 German GP when he had a damaged car?
Just a fan's point of view

JRindt

bauc wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:19
SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:13
bauc wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:05
The worst thing about today is Lando screaming to his race engineer to Shut UP, for a moment he reminder me that he is still a kid and this is his only 3rd season in F1, he has still a lot to learn and the team cant take BS from the drivers, they need to have a firm hand on who is making the calls.
The driver always makes the call in changeable conditions… That has always been the case and will be in the future.

In regards to the “Shut Up”, when he was been given the grid positions, he didn’t need that information, he was focus on not making a single mistake with Hamilton 1 second behind him… When the driver needs to focus, the information has to be either what he requests or what is critical… Add to that the pressure and stress of the situation, leading the GP and an honest chance at your first race win, the shut up becomes a non-issue
I understand all that, but his attuite cant be like that, the only man that can do that is Kimi whith his ''Shut Up I know what I'm doing'' which has been approved from fans around the world :mrgreen:
I think Lando has a better attitude than most drivers on the grid, when it comes to radio calls. Sure, his attitude needs improvement when it comes to beating himself up or downplaying his chances. But, he is usually very well behaved both in and out of the cockpit. So he’s allowed to have a ‘shut up’ moment in such a high pressure situation and it only makes him more human

diffuser

bauc wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:06
Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:03
So we have a 18 point lead over Ferrari and let's hope there isn't a penalty due to rain circumstances. Next stop Turkey. Are there any other GPs where we can have the upper hand against Ferrari?

I must say that it was a great lesson today for the driver and the team to be ready to make decisions at any special circumstance. If Mclaren has to get that number 1 place they must improve in that domain.
I only think Brazil will suit Ferrari better, for the rest we are at level with Ferrari or maybe at a slight advantage.
The odds are against Ferrari overtaking McLaren in Constructors. It's gonna take luck.

haza
haza

Despite the mistake in the last few laps mclaren controlled a large portion of this race and carried on the strong pace from monza if they carry on like this outperforming the top 2 they could give Mercedes and red bull some headaches for the rest of the season on the plus side Mac have been the fastest car these last 2 gp’s

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

CjC wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:29
FittingMechanics wrote:
What happens if Lando gets a race ban due to accumulated points? Are the points voided completely? It will be a long year if it doesn't clear up.
If he gets penalty points for what he did today then that’ll be just stupid, the safest thing he did was to cross the line again and come into the pits as his car wasn’t fit for the conditions.
What did Hamilton receive when he crossed the white line coming into the pits at the 2019 German GP when he had a damaged car?
five-second penalty,

blastdoman
blastdoman

Marty_Y wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:41
CjC wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
five-second penalty,
Confirmed?

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

blastdoman wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:43
Marty_Y wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:41
CjC wrote:

five-second penalty,
Confirmed?
Sorry I was answering the question about what Lewis got in Germany.

billamend
billamend

People are shitting on Lando’s “cockiness”, but he made the right call with the info he had.

Macklaren
Macklaren

ferrarifire wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:15
Ferrari took similiar gamble like Norris by not pitting Lecrec...he was behind Ves till the rain came...defentely ferrari is not lucky considering the circumstances
Macklaren wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:09
I have no words...

Actually I do...Team Ferrari need to buy a lottery ticket after each race. They will be fully funded for next year

Also the team know that they cost Lando a win by not overruling him. Both the team and Lando will come back stronger. Also need to give the team kudos for their excellent strategy for the first 50 laps of the race.
Maybe...but the net result is Ferrari got a P3 vs. McL P4/P7 when about 1/3rd through the race McLaren were P1/P2 on merit and the Ferraris were out of the points because they got the strategy calls wrong + LEC's grid penalty. The rain was unquestionably lucky for Ferrari.

JRindt

billamend wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:46

People are shitting on Lando’s “cockiness”, but he made the right call with the info he had.
Goes to show that the team weren’t fully on it in the closing stages today. I doubt if even Lewis would’ve pitted today if he were in the lead in Mclaren.

At least, my heart feels a little lighter seeing lando smile through the pain

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

I sorta feel like Lewis wants Lando to be his replacement.

Gillian
Gillian

Such a shame for Lando but what a race for McLaren! I hope they can keep this up. Its really good to see them up there again.

DiogoBrand

You gotta understand Lando's decision. When the rain started it was basically Hamilton's race. If both pitted there was a great chance Lewis would win anyway, if Lando came in a lap after Lewis, Lewis would win as well. And for Lewis, pitting was a much easier decision since he'd be at least second in any case. At that point Lando went all in because he didn't care about second, it was a win or bust and I can understand that.

As for the championship, finishing 3rd doesn't worry me at all. All I'm concerned is that McLaren doesn't pull a 2008 againd putting too many resources on the current season, forgetting about the car for the rules overhaul and starting 2022 behind everyone else. As far as I'm concerned McLaren can finish last this year if that's gonna mean a better performance for the next season.

Seerix
Seerix

Reprimand for Lando for crossing pit entry line, looks like no other penalty.

Emag
Emag

Seerix wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 18:09
Reprimand for Lando for crossing pit entry line, looks like no other penalty.
Would be a shame to give him penalty points on those conditions. It would have been more dangerous if he continued to stay out at that point. It was pouring with rain and he was on slicks ...