2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 15:53
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 15:41
Lando overruled the team. Nothing you can do. He thought he knew better and it bit him badly
I know we are all gutted… His youth got on display today… But, even when it clearly didn’t work out, a part of me likes the aggressiveness and fearless that he had today, he had a victory in front of him and he went for it, he gambled and lost, but Kudos to him for trying.

Agree... He can "taste" that first victory... :D

ferrarifire
ferrarifire

Lap 48 vs 53 comparison..As you can see the biggest winners are Vers & Bottas and the biggest losers are Norris & Leclerc. Both decided to stay on slicks (defied the team orders :P ) have decided the fortune.

Gillian
Gillian

I think the entire team should (and will) learn from this. Its probably a little easier as a driver to demand slicks when going from a damp to dry track. In this case the should have been clear about the coming rain and/or force Norris to box. So either the team did not know there was so much more rain coming or they knew but had no idea to get Norris to box. I think the latter is something they should look at. You have to know when you can overrule your team as a driver and when not. That goes both ways.

In any case I think it's a positive this is happening right now because while it is painful to miss out a your first race win, it's less painful when there is no WDC/WCC on the line. Let's hope they sort this out and be ready for a title fight next year.

geogate
geogate

Im just pleased McLaren are a team that is now looking to win races. I dont really care about points if there is a shot at winning. Another positive was that Ricciardo performed pretty well. I really wasnt convinced he had turned a corner, but he did well

blastdoman
blastdoman

Lando skating in Sochi

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

You do have to take into account that this amount of rain in one lap is not really normal. It was a literal wall of rain that fell down on a part of the track. If it rained normally Norris would be able to hold on.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Does anyone know/can check if the team had the opportunity to pit one lap after Hamilton. Did Hamilton claw back the time under the 25 second mark on his outlap?

If Hamilton was more than 25-30 seconds back, that was a huge missed opportunity to cover him taking inters.

the EDGE
the EDGE

FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 11:15
Does anyone know/can check if the team had the opportunity to pit one lap after Hamilton. Did Hamilton claw back the time under the 25 second mark on his outlap?

If Hamilton was more than 25-30 seconds back, that was a huge missed opportunity to cover him taking inters.
They did pit one lap after Lewis, it was just a very long lap the Lando, Slip sliding away

EDIT…. Actually I’m wrong about that

runningmanz
runningmanz

That was a nuts race! Very sad for Lando he was a beast this weekend but just made the wrong call in the end. Sometimes it happens. TBH though not a fan of his shortness on the radio to the team but I guess its down to experience and personality. Dan is alot more calm and respectful to the team. I guess over time Lando will probably calm down a bit.

That shite pitstop cost Dan a spot on the podium. Very unlucky, while he didn't quite have the same pace as Lando he makes up in racecraft and experience. One of the best wheel to wheel racers on the grid.

Anyway no doubt Lando will have plenty more opportunities to bag his first win soon. Loving the direction of this team taking it to the bigdogs on merit lately. Wonder how Turkey will suit our car and drivers.

billamend
billamend

runningmanz wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 11:58
TBH though not a fan of his shortness on the radio to the team but I guess its down to experience and personality. Dan is alot more calm and respectful to the team. I guess over time Lando will probably calm down a bit.
Do you hear his radios often? He and Will have a great relationship and are respectful towards each other. Moments of great tension bring this type of answer in the radio, but I’ve seen _many_ drivers do the same.

Big Tea

The team has to trust the driver knows what he is doing. As long as he has all the relevant information.

Lando was driving well and was coping with the track as it was at the time, and he made the right decision for that time.
Had he been told conditions were detreating on the part of the track he had not yet reached, he may have decided to pit (may be not, but he would have a more balanced choice)

As for his 'attitude', it was not nasty or arrogant it was said in a banter tone, and it is good that a driver and engineer can speak in this way without creating a rift, in the way brothers of good friends can speak to each other and know what it is. (or I assume so as it has been like this several times)

It has to go into 'things that make you stronger' list, and just maybe next time he will ask for more information or be given it.

Which ever way, it has to be the drivers choice, and I support him having the guts to make it. That is, as long as it was a choice and not an 'order'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

thestig84
thestig84

billamend wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 12:04
runningmanz wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 11:58
TBH though not a fan of his shortness on the radio to the team but I guess its down to experience and personality. Dan is alot more calm and respectful to the team. I guess over time Lando will probably calm down a bit.
Do you hear his radios often? He and Will have a great relationship and are respectful towards each other. Moments of great tension bring this type of answer in the radio, but I’ve seen _many_ drivers do the same.
Yeah this is the first time ever he has been short with Will. I really dislike how people are reading so much into one radio message. 5 or 4 laps from your first ever win after doing everything perfectly all weekend, the most successful F1 driver of all time right on your tail in the fastest car at that circuit, being on hard slicks with rain on half the track constantly changing in intensity, pulling away from Hamilton in said conditions....I could go on!

What do these people expect while they are all high and mighty in their armchairs at home!? Have they never been under pressure? If they have it won't have been a drop compared to the guys yesterday.

Team did great all weekend and the random rain ruined a dream result. Gutting but this is racing. No blame needed just learn from it. Keep up the good work

geogate
geogate

he has been pretty short on the radio this year - its definitely not the first time. Dont think it matters that much, its his driving personality, im sure the pit wall dosnt take offence - but yeah, sometimes it does make you cringe

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Honestly I really feel that Will made a mistake, why do you need to talk about P4 and P5 when Hamilton is 2-3 seconds away and Norris is in P1. He completely misread the situation, it's possible he was nervous as well and reverted to normal operating mode where he gives him much more information. Give him the information needed and nothing else. Norris was not going to pit so why mention anyone behind Hamilton.

Sure, Norris could have said he doesn't need that info in more pleasant words but I wouldn't really hold it against him and I doubt Will does either.

About the team deciding to give the decision to Lando. I feel like this was a good decision as if they decided to pit him and he lost the win, he would surely feel that was their mistake and would feel slighted. This way around, the decision was his and he will learn from it. The team will improve communication and share more info between drivers and meteorologists in the future so we can avoid similar situations in the future.

I'm hoping we challenge for a win somewhere in the remainder of the season, perhaps Saudi Arabia, and that due to the closely fought championship we get more DNFs by Verstappen/Hamilton, any DNFs by them could enable Norris to get his first win to take away the pain of this loss.

billamend
billamend

People forget about Leclerc asking his engineer to shut up when he was being hunted. I’ve seen those “shut up” so many times from other drivers. It’s very common and no one said anything about those cases.