Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

I see Callum Ilott has signed up for IndyCar for 2022, the full season. So thats 1 less name that Alfa are considering.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

It's going to go down between De Vries/Zhou/Giovanazzi.

i think Gio is out, and this is reasonably confirmed by Mazepin's inappropriate insta post.
De Vries has been mentioned before, and only lately Zhou, but Zhou is Alpine-connected, not Ferrari/Mercedes.

Likely De Vries.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 14:51

i think Gio is out, and this is reasonably confirmed by Mazepin's inappropriate insta post.
De Vries has been mentioned before, and only lately Zhou, but Zhou is Alpine-connected, not Ferrari/Mercedes.

Likely De Vries.
Shame really, I thought Gio was doing OK. Nothing outstanding, but acceptable for first year
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u

Big Tea wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 15:58
Manoah2u wrote:

Likely De Vries.
Shame really, I thought Gio was doing OK. Nothing outstanding, but acceptable for first year
He's doing OK, but he won't ever be more than 'ok'. Also, it's not Gio's first year either. De Vries at the worst will also be 'ok', but might be better, so in any case it's the way forward, especially having two Mercedes drivers aboard, one experienced and obedient and one potentially quick and promising. Not to forget that Giovanazzi doesn't bring any Ferrari discounts. Two Mercedes drivers could bring certain benefits and if they actually go forwards with Mercedes power, that is a huge benefit as its likely also getting them a discount.

The only 'cork' in the bottle for De Vries would be Zhou indeed, due to the supposed wealth of investors he can bring.
Still, De Vries supposedly even already has a contract signed according to a variety of sources months ago.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 29 Sep 2021, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 16:10
Big Tea wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 15:58
Manoah2u wrote:

Likely De Vries.
He's doing OK, but he won't ever be more than 'ok'. De Vries at the worst will also be 'ok', but might be better, so in any case it's the way forward, especially having two Mercedes drivers aboard, one experienced and obedient and one potentially quick and promising. Not to forget that Giovanazzi doesn't bring any Ferrari discounts. Two Mercedes drivers could bring certain benefits and if they actually go forwards with Mercedes power, that is a huge benefit as its likely also getting them a discount.
I know in that team they can not afford to stretch things out, but w have seen many drivers have a 'solid' first year and go on to be very good. He would be a useful 'spare driver' for someone, depending on his Sim feedback ofcourse

Tizz

Manoah2u wrote:

Likely De Vries.
Nyck would be insane to join Alfa Romeo. He has a top seat in FE. Why would he give that up for Alfa ?

molina

Any FE driver would exchange the seat for an F1 seat given the opportunity, even if it is in Haas. Specially if it is for free and not as paying driver.

And I guess he will still keep any connection to Mercedes, so that would be a win win for him

DChemTech

I'm putting my bets on Zhou. No connection with Mercedes, and more importantly, big money

aMessageToCharlie

DChemTech wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 17:15
I'm putting my bets on Zhou. No connection with Mercedes, and more importantly, big money
Would be cool imo. Zhou is a solid driver from what I gathered and having him will atract the chinese market. Maybe even a chinese f1 entry somewhere down the line?

Big Tea

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 17:25
DChemTech wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 17:15
Would be cool imo. Zhou is a solid driver from what I gathered and having him will atract the chinese market. Maybe even a chinese f1 entry somewhere down the line?
If the Max effect and the Alonso effect is anything to go by, F1 should have a quiet word to help him get in.
Think of the markets in China? Not just sponsorship but arranging a race (or two?), and possibly shovelling enough into the team to make them a top 5 team.

Once the interest (and profit) is there he could be a leader in a stream of Chinese drivers and companies.
For existing teams, it would increase the value of them with far larger audiences, and probably a new raft of sponsors with cash

Jolle

for that last seat, my money is on Robert Shwartzman. Still a Ferrari junior and why else invest in a second year of F2?

Tizz

molina wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 17:11
Any FE driver would exchange the seat for an F1 seat given the opportunity, even if it is in Haas. Specially if it is for free and not as paying driver.

And I guess he will still keep any connection to Mercedes, so that would be a win win for him
He already said he’s not interested in driving at the back of the field.

NL_Fer

Zhou is in his 3rd year F2, maybe still not becoming champion. Never impressed me, also in 2 years of F3 he wasn’t competing for championship.

Shwarzmann is strugling in his second year F2 in a Prema. Armstrong is even worse. They had a fierce battle in F3, but probably they both weren’t that special.

Better they save a seat for guys like Martins, Pourchere or Piastri.

Manoah2u

Tizz wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 17:03
Manoah2u wrote:

Likely De Vries.
Nyck would be insane to join Alfa Romeo. He has a top seat in FE. Why would he give that up for Alfa ?
it was rumoured months ago he actually already signed, and could be leased. I don't see how he'd skip a chance in F1.
AFAIK Mercedes has pulled back from Formula E, wouldn't that mean he actually is without a drive coming FE season?

DChemTech

NL_Fer wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 18:43
Zhou is in his 3rd year F2, maybe still not becoming champion. Never impressed me, also in 2 years of F3 he wasn’t competing for championship.

Shwarzmann is strugling in his second year F2 in a Prema. Armstrong is even worse. They had a fierce battle in F3, but probably they both weren’t that special.

Better they save a seat for guys like Martins, Pourchere or Piastri.
Completely agree - but he brings in 30 million of sponsorship, and most others don't...