Qatar from 2023 on the calender.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Qatar from 2023 on the calender.

F1 confirms Qatar GP on 2021 calendar as part of long-term deal

Formula 1 has confirmed the Qatar Grand Prix will fill the vacant slot on the 2021 race calendar in November, as part of a triple-header with Mexico and Brazil.
F1 confirms Qatar GP on 2021 calendar as part of long-term deal

The night race at Losail International Circuit has been in the planning stages for some months, but the announcement had to wait for the commercial arrangements to be finalised, and will take place on the 19-21 November.

The negotiations led to a long-term deal to run an event in Qatar for 10 years from 2023 to 2032.

There will be no grand prix in 2022 as the country will focus on hosting the FIFA World Cup that will start exactly a year after the first F1 race. The event will then return in 2023 at a yet-to-be-confirmed venue, with a new circuit now in the planning stages.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-c ... l/6678317/

Image from Moto GP.
The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

Re: Qatar from 2023 on the calender.

Awesome! Looking forward to this one!

Just_a_fan

First half of the lap looks a bit mickey-mouse but after T7 it looks like there is going to be some fast corners there. Qualifying is going to be decided by who gets best traction out of 10 and then can carry the speed through 12, 13, 14 and 15. I can see spins in to the scenery between in 13 and 14 as people try to find the limit. It looks like it's not quite a remake of Turkey's T8 so might need some gentle lifts.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

RZS10

For me the track is almost on the bland side of things even in MotoGP ... and it was mainly designed for that if i'm not mistaken.
It's almost completely flat without any noteworthy elevation changes and doesn't appear to have a clear overtaking spot? The straight is long-ish with 1km but T1 is quite open ...
The only somewhat positive thing is that at least the run off areas aren't endlessly huge.and there's some fake grass here and there next to the track.

I guess they'll have a few thousand sl- ... erm ... workers build the currently nonexistent grandstands within two days or sth right before the GP.

astracrazy

Just another boring track added to the calendar in my opinion. Plenty of other better, more exciting tracks which could have taken up a space on the calendar for 10 years.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 12:29
First half of the lap looks a bit mickey-mouse but after T7 it looks like there is going to be some fast corners there. Qualifying is going to be decided by who gets best traction out of 10 and then can carry the speed through 12, 13, 14 and 15. I can see spins in to the scenery between in 13 and 14 as people try to find the limit. It looks like it's not quite a remake of Turkey's T8 so might need some gentle lifts.
I think its more of a case of Turkeys T8 is not quite a remake of this circuit.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

astracrazy wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 13:08
Just another boring track added to the calendar in my opinion. Plenty of other better, more exciting tracks which could have taken up a space on the calendar for 10 years.
It comes down to tracks that are prepared to pay for the right to host F1 races. Lots of great tracks, yes. Lots of Governments/rich backers prepared to give millions to Liberty, no.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

notsofast

The part from turn 15 to turn 4 looks kind of like Zandvoort, but without the banked corners of course.

The part highlighted in red seems like fun.

Shrieker

I've been watching races on this track for well over a decade now, and let me tell you something: They can get trains even in MotoGP and World Superbikes here.

They better put DRS between T10-12, T14-15, and 15-16, in addition to the start straight. Otherwise you'll get a borefest that would put some of the most boring races to shame.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

dtro

Definitely thought that this would be a one and done event. The circuit has no character whatsoever aside from the fact that it can run with floodlights like Singapore or Bahrain. No elevation changes, a couple of challenging corners (for MotoGP) but nothing that stands out. It's basically Bahrain but with the corners smoothed out.

Not even getting into the human rights record of edit: Qatar not Saudi Arabia.

Liberty Media is a joke.
Last edited by dtro on 30 Sep 2021, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

JPower

dtro wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 18:40
Definitely thought that this would be a one and done event. The circuit has no character whatsoever aside from the fact that it can run with floodlights like Singapore or Bahrain. No elevation changes, a couple of challenging corners (for MotoGP) but nothing that stands out. It's basically Bahrain but with the corners smoothed out.

Not even getting into the human rights record of Saudi Arabia.

Liberty Media is a joke.
Well this is Qatar not Saudi Arabia. Not that it changes much.

Two, I'm pretty sure they are building a new track that will replace this one in 2023.

dtro

JPower wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 19:24
dtro wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 18:40

Not even getting into the human rights record of Saudi Arabia.

Liberty Media is a joke.
Well this is Qatar not Saudi Arabia. Not that it changes much.

Two, I'm pretty sure they are building a new track that will replace this one in 2023.
My mistake, I'm guilty of confusing Jeddah and the track in Qatar. Point still stands though, they could recreate the greatest track in the world in 2023 and it'd be a joke built on the withheld wages.

Marty_Y

adrianjordan

So how many feel we should keep Lossail for the Qatar GP?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

politburo

adrianjordan wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 22:58
So how many feel we should keep Lossail for the Qatar GP?
It was a good race in my opinion, easier to follow in the last sector as it has high-speed corners instead of slower ones, which set up several overtakes on the straight. And the awkwardness of the first turn allows multiple lines and allows drivers to defend effectively.

Would rather have this track than another street track (rumored) on top of Miami, Saudi, Monaco, Baku, Australia...
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"