Escalation in race and team threads

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Stu

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 17:13
NathanOlder wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 14:38
Diesel wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 10:30
I think sadly things won't change. I'll be the first to admit I can't help but get sucked in to it. As others have said a lot of the posts are made intentially to antagonise people and it works. A more recent trend is for things to escalate beyond the race threads and even this site, which is quite scary really.
Yeah , I too fall in to the trap far too often! With such a large amount of constant antagonising posts, the race and team threads just fall down completely. :cry:
I have received serious threats of violence already via PM. I don't know if the poster is still around so as far as I am concerned my safety can be threatened again. :?: So I implore posters to be careful what is said. We have a new breed of poster afoot. Your safety may be at risk.
That is terrible PZ, no place for that here!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Just_a_fan

nzjrs wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 23:37
It's a good point that negative ratings don't actually have any consequences on the poster. But it's partly moot because voting is disabled in race threads anyway.
I was under the impression that a post that receives multiple negative votes is flagged to the mods. Not sure where I got that idea from, however, so it may be incorrect.

The problem with negative votes having a negative effect is that it would be easy for a group to game the system and "punish" a forum member by all giving a negative vote on a single post. At least, a mod would need to wade in to check things out.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 23:00

Totally agree on allowing multiple people to report a post. I think it would be helpful.
Agreed. I can see how it might be annoying for the mods if they got lots of post reports on a single post, but it would at least show that the post is considered an issue by a number of other members, rather than a single "I don't like you" report. Of course, it is still open to gaming by a group that decide to all report a single post, but such actions would be obvious fairly quickly as the same people would be involved each time.

RZS10

The reports wouldn't have to be seperate though, just a number to indicate it has been reported multiple times.
I don't know how the system works currently - if a post is reported but cleared, does it still give the "this post has already been reported" message?

dans79

RZS10 wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 01:02
if a post is reported but cleared, does it still give the "this post has already been reported" message?
I believe it just goes back to before like nothing happened.

I think the benefit of multiple people being able to report a post, is it provides multiple viewpoints. Not everyone speaks the same language, or has the same cultural views/customs. What might be might be mildly annoying to one user, might be completely unacceptable to another.
197 104 103 7

SiLo

Multiple downvotes would be a nice feature, but if it was in the race threads it would just be a mess.
Felipe Baby!

notsofast

It may be much more effective if the mods were to reach out to some of the "senior" members of this forum who, through their own actions, are setting a bad example. Members with 100+ rating are attacking other members or are making comments that are over-the-top. It's no surprise then that the teenagers assume that this is acceptable behavior.

Phil

I wasn't aware there was a thread about the escalation of the race threads.

I liked the suggestion(s) about having a premium section. I remember one of the reasons I joined F1T was because I enjoyed the constructive debate between like minded members from different areas of expertise. It wasn't as much about having the same opinion, but being able to respectfully share, argue as well as analyze them.

When I look at race threads, I too see the same members polluting threads and unfortunately lots of regulars biting and letting themselves be pulled into pages of nonsense. Either limit the number of responses each member has in a race thread (after the race) - perhaps this limits your "air time" and forces people to think about what they want to say and write - and if you haven't convinced anyone after 5 replies, maybe it's just time to move on or indeed have a premium section.

Either way, at this rate, I'm finding it less and less attractive to browse these threads at all, which is a damn shame. Unfortunately, the ignore-function also only gets you this far too...

JM2C.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

hollus

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 00:13
nzjrs wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 23:37
It's a good point that negative ratings don't actually have any consequences on the poster. But it's partly moot because voting is disabled in race threads anyway.
I was under the impression that a post that receives multiple negative votes is flagged to the mods. Not sure where I got that idea from, however, so it may be incorrect.

The problem with negative votes having a negative effect is that it would be easy for a group to game the system and "punish" a forum member by all giving a negative vote on a single post. At least, a mod would need to wade in to check things out.
Moot for race threads, but important in others:
A post with multiple downvotes is not automatically flagged to the mods, no. But it is visible enough (in a couple of places) and gets a closer look because, well, because that's the mods' job.
As for a group of people ganging on a post or poster with downvotes... it happens, and it normally becomes visible.
Not always and no guarantees, but most cases get at least looked at.

RZS10 wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 01:02
The reports wouldn't have to be seperate though, just a number to indicate it has been reported multiple times.
I don't know how the system works currently - if a post is reported but cleared, does it still give the "this post has already been reported" message?
A report simply guarantees that a mod will look at the post (and report's text) sooner rather than later. But once the report is closed, if the decision is to do nothing, the post becomes a normal post again, with no extra visibility. And it can be, only then, reported again (at which point it will most times be checked by a different moderator, so it is still useful, we all have different styles).
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan

Can I just get confirmation from Steven and his team that this sort of stuff is now considered acceptable?

Presumably making the same sort of comment about the Dutch would be OK too. I say that because the comment has been reported and allowed to stand.
Both of whom are ex Mclaren drivers. We know the British media, British personnel in generally are biased to a point of toxicity otherwise Hamilton would have been a lot more criticized for his garbage season if he was non-British !
I look forward to making all manner of denigratory comments if so. =D>

hollus

Care to point exactly what is denigratory there? Please elaborate.

I’d say the dutch media are about as dutch biased as the British media are British biased. I know I suffered that in 2007 when the Spanish media were ridiculously pro-spanish biased for good balance. And let’s not start with Schumacher and RTL. And the world is round and spins.
Rivals, not enemies.

coaster

Maybe a 'sporting' code of regulations could stand?
Marshalls flags?
A sim gaming portal also?

Edit;
All psychopherapists are solidly booked out in Australia due to covid19, depression has hit some hard due to long lockdowns.
Road rage intensity is up also, people are lashing out more often, its the times we live in.
Last edited by coaster on 02 Oct 2021, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

hollus wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 23:03

I’d say the dutch media are about as dutch biased as the British media are British biased. I know I suffered that in 2007 when the Spanish media were ridiculously pro-spanish biased for good balance. And let’s not start with Schumacher and RTL. And the world is round and spins.
biased to a point of toxicity
That is offensive and xenophobic, and I'm not even British.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

hollus wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 23:03

This is ok?
British personnel in generally are biased to a point of toxicity
If it's considered ok on this forum then you can kiss goodbye to it being anything other than a toxic dump.

What next? General negative comments about black people, or Muslims, or Jews?

Is it ok to say that Germans are all anti-semitic? After all, there is a documented history about that.

You can kill this now, or you can lose the forum. Your choice. Which is it?

Scorpaguy

If the owner/mods can wipe the acidity from this site, they will surely get rich selling their solution to the rest of the world...a world growing only more toxic and uncouth by the day. I fear it is a sign of the times in which we reside. I do notice on some other sites that members have a superhuman ability to ignore the trolls...they are ignored and eventually go away. The problem with that is their comments remain visible in perpetuity (somehow imparting a bit of acceptance of what can be quite "wrong").

It is also possible that maybe we can all simply enjoy the intelligent/entertaining posts and ignore the others. Being trolled costs one no money or resouces...and trolling the troller is still trolling. There used to be a saying, "sticks and stones...", but today many do seem to obsess on words.

Another issue is that of intent and perception. As a longtime Ferrari team follower (but having no particular affinity for individual drivers), I am oft quick to point out some of the team's sophomoric actions...yet when doing so, some of the more fan-oriented members view it as trolling (although my sarcastic critique of team actions is not intended thusly).

For now, thicker skin and better manners for all (me included).