Should we lock race threads x days/weeks after the race?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

When should we lock a topic following a race?

3 days
15%
1 week
11%
2 weeks
11%
4 weeks
No votes
Before the next race
11%
No locking needed / Before next season (to avoid revival)
52%

Total votes: 27

Steven
Owner

Should we lock race threads x days/weeks after the race?

Related to trying to find solutions for the race threads, I noticed the Zandvoort and Monza topics are still alive. I'm not sure what is the added value now to still continue discussing incidents.

Perhaps we should consider locking race threads some time after a race?

Even after the thread silences, locking could still be helpful to avoid people/spammers to (unintentionally) revive the wrong topic.

jjn9128

Re: Should we lock race threads x days/weeks after the race?

It'll just move the arguments into other threads.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Wouter

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 12:08
It'll just move the arguments into other threads.
Exactly.
The Power of Dreams!

hollus

Into the current race thread, actually. Happens a lot until friday morning. And moving posts / pointing to the correct race thread works well enough.
Rivals, not enemies.

RZS10

Spa has a reasonable discussion about a hypothetical reshuffle of the running order of the racing series on a sunday to ensure a proper F1 race under Ecclestone.

Zandvoort has a calm discussion about whether the fireworks would have gone off for anyone apart from Max.

The other threads died down on their own within the expected timeframe.

Dunno if it is necessary to lock the threads just because people post in the wrong ones by mistake a few times per year.
Last edited by RZS10 on 19 Sep 2021, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

tok-tokkie

I find the race threads (& also the team threads) unreadable - so I don't read them. I would be very sad if that rabble spilled over to the car threads for that is about all I look at & I would walk away if they joined. So leave it as is.

Tizz

hollus wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 14:12
Into the current race thread, actually. Happens a lot until friday morning. And moving posts / pointing to the correct race thread works well enough.
Exactly. Maybe we could start the practice to open a race thread monday before the new race and at the same time close the old topic ? Is suppose the moderators will want to clean out old topics or archive them or something of the sort.

Wouter

Tizz wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 15:22
hollus wrote:
Exactly. Maybe we could start the practice to open a race thread monday before the new race and at the same time close the old topic ? Is suppose the moderators will want to clean out old topics or archive them or something of the sort.
I don't agree with this.
Why open a race topic on Monday before the new race and close the old topic at the same time?
Often something new comes out after a week and then it can no longer be discussed at all, because the Race Topic is closed.
As long as the atmosphere in the Race Topic is good, I see no reason to close it.
The Power of Dreams!

SiLo

Wouter wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 16:16
Tizz wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 15:22
hollus wrote:
I don't agree with this.
Why open a race topic on Monday before the new race and close the old topic at the same time?
Often something new comes out after a week and then it can no longer be discussed at all, because the Race Topic is closed.
As long as the atmosphere in the Race Topic is good, I see no reason to close it.
This, really. I stick around sometimes if discussion is alright, otherwise it's pretty easy to avoid.

The issue isn't that discussions carry on long after the race has ended, but that sometimes they are filled with vitriol and idiocy. Locking the thread won't help that. If people want to have an argument, at least leave it in an old race thread that most people will ignore.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

SiLo wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 18:32
The issue isn't that discussions carry on long after the race has ended, but that sometimes they are filled with vitriol and idiocy. Locking the thread won't help that. If people want to have an argument, at least leave it in an old race thread that most people will ignore.
Yes, and it seems we have reached a point where the preference is to tell others to just deal with it, instead of addressing the problematic users/posts!
197 104 103 7

AeroDynamic

Maybe original threads with initial analysis within should be locked.. but maybe there should be a sub forum where people can discuss those subjects till their hearts content. Meaningful analysis could be in the original topics… continued discussion could happen elsewhere. I always thought moderation was to regulate flaming and poor behaviour.

But that’s me coming from the point of view where I think people should be able to discuss a subject as much as they want, old or new.

Gettingonabit

Having decided that the race threads will be closed to me as soon as the actual race is over has worked - for me at least. Considerably less puerile nonsense within the rest of the threads, although still a few childish digs and comments in the team threads. I'm happy with that and it needs no input from the site owner or mods.