2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

ok so it was in fact damaged and done?

So you are telling me LH has just 2 engines to juggle till then end.

It's not looking too good. I can see where he will need to take an engine.
They will just need a new engine on standby waiting for Max to have a poor weekend and giving Lewis the engine then.
For Sure!!

dans79

SiLo wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 18:30
I think they said it was the last weekend it was going to be used for practice anyway, so it literally would have done FP3 and then been removed from the pool.
Teams swap motors after FP2, that way they have FP3 to discover and fix issues before qualifying. Doing it after FP3 is a time crunch, and you also run the risk of not being able to fix even a minor issue during qualifying.
197 104 103 7

dans79

ringo wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 18:37
So you are telling me LH has just 2 engines to juggle till then end.
Only having 2 in your pool isn't unexpected at this point in the season. One will be used for all FP1 and FP2 sessions , as well as FP3, qualifying, and races on non demanding circuits. The newer engine will only be used for FP3, qualifying, and races at high power demand circuits.

as was mentioned Lewis's motor had an issue in the absolute last session it was expected to be used in. Additionally Merc hasn't even mentioned if it was done, or if it was fixable.

Not to mention if it has to be replaced, then you only need to replace the ICE, not everything.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

I am still not sure where is the best place. Some of my thoughts are below:

Turkey... Not a full on power track. Passing is possible through lines and tyre offset.

USA... Needs power.. Easy to pass down main straight. Even alternative strategies can win.

Mexico - lower stress... Hard to pass even weaker cars. Do not change engine here!

Brazil.... Power up the hill.... Passing is possible but still difficult in dirty air. Rain likely.

Quatar... Looks curvy.. Very hard to pass here I suspect.

Saudi Arabia...?? Street circuit with very long straights. Narrow course. Passing could be hard.

Abu Dhabi... Power is essential.. Passing.. Is moderate.

Looking like the USA? If he does indeed need to an extra engine. I hope not.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

If Mclaren and Bottas go well enough at Turkey and Max fluffs up qualifying, which is unlikely, Turkey could be a good place to take the engine as well. LH can race through Turkey and podium from the back, rain or shine, he is likely to accomplish that. The 2 point gap is really difficult to work with. It does not take much for Max to lead by a health does of points. Redbull is due a Perez vs Max clash. It hasn't happened all season. :mrgreen: Lewis needs some more luck!
For Sure!!

_cerber1

Obviously, the Circuit of the Americas is the best place to replace the motor. overtaking here does not cause difficulties, there are many places, many trajectories, two straight lines.

Grand Prix 2019, look how much struggle in different places.

Shrieker

Russian GP was the place to take it. RB nailed it.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 00:15
Qatar... Looks curvy.. Very hard to pass here I suspect.
Huh ? We're gonna a get a GP there this year ? Thought the deal was for 2022 and beyond.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Mattchu

Shrieker wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 13:08
Russian GP was the place to take it. RB nailed it.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Qatar... Looks curvy.. Very hard to pass here I suspect.
Huh ? We're gonna a get a GP there this year ? Thought the deal was for 2022 and beyond.
Yep, it was announced they would be doing a triple header with Mexico and Brazil, thereby the last 3 Grand Prix would all be in the Middle East, with Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi to follow Qatar...

https://www.grandprix.com/news/f1-adds- ... endar.html

atanatizante

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I am still not sure where is the best place. Some of my thoughts are below:

Turkey... Not a full on power track. Passing is possible through lines and tyre offset.

USA... Needs power.. Easy to pass down main straight. Even alternative strategies can win.

Mexico - lower stress... Hard to pass even weaker cars. Do not change engine here!

Brazil.... Power up the hill.... Passing is possible but still difficult in dirty air. Rain likely.

Quatar... Looks curvy.. Very hard to pass here I suspect.

Saudi Arabia...?? Street circuit with very long straights. Narrow course. Passing could be hard.

Abu Dhabi... Power is essential.. Passing.. Is moderate.

Looking like the USA? If he does indeed need to an extra engine. I hope not.
As you`ve said earlier, I quote you:"leaving it too late to the point where engine performance has to be diminished".

So it must be Turkey, the USA or Mexico and in all 3 cases there should be a wet race in prospect ...

On another note, at Abu Dhabi, they made some changes to the race track in order to make overtaking easier ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Mr.S

I would say between USA to Brazil. You expect the new engine to do 5-6 races so you get little benefit by taking one in Saudi or Qatar. The current engine is quite new - Spa (Rain dashed), Holland, Monza (50% Race + Sprint + Qualifying - Almost 70% of a full race combined) + Russia. So I am sure it has 2-3 races for sure. But 7 more? A PU doing 11 races?

Shrieker

atanatizante wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 14:43
So it must be Turkey, the USA or Mexico and in all 3 cases there should be a wet race in prospect ...
We might get a wet race again in İstanbul Park. The weather has turned unusually cool for this time of year around 6-7 days ago, and is showing no signs of improvement. We get intermittent showers I'd say one every two days. We'd usually get a pretty long indian summer too, going from the past decade to decade and a half. Looks like it's gonna be pretty late this year, or gonna skip 2021 altogether.

Forecast shows 15ish temperature, and some rain showers on both Saturday and Sunday, although it has to be added we're still a week out.

All in all, might present a good opportunity for bolting in a fresh unit.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

Mattchu wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 14:13
Yep, it was announced they would be doing a triple header with Mexico and Brazil, thereby the last 3 Grand Prix would all be in the Middle East, with Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi to follow Qatar...

Wow thanks. Must've flown right over my head. I hope they really put 4 DRS zones or we're gonna get a borefest with these cars there...
-Atatürk

NathanOlder

Shrieker wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 22:59
Mattchu wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 14:13

Wow thanks. Must've flown right over my head. I hope they really put 4 DRS zones or we're gonna get a borefest with these cars there...
No chance of that (4 DRS zones that is) never seen 4 before , its rare we get 3. Singapore we have 3, but can't think of more off the top of my head.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

pursue_one's

Red Bull's request to the FIA for the alleged Mercedes trick of cooling the plenum resulted into nothing.
"That was shot down," is the word we hear from Red Bull sources.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... lendspurt/

AeroDynamic

pursue_one's wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 11:28
Red Bull's request to the FIA for the alleged Mercedes trick of cooling the plenum resulted into nothing.
"That was shot down," is the word we hear from Red Bull sources.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... lendspurt/
Are the FIA still deliberating over the wings?