2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marty_Y

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sailing/58792679

Ineos Britannia and Mercedes F1 join forces for America's Cup challenge

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Mercedes F1 chief technical officer James Allison, who will be the technical lead on the America's Cup project, said: "When people talk about the America's Cup being like F1 on water, most people are thinking: 'It's a bit hydrodynamic, it's a bit aerodynamic, it's technological'.

"But the most striking comparison to me is that it's difficult.

"And the way it's worked OK for us in F1 is having the humility to admit that it's difficult and that your competitors will eat you up if for a moment you stop remembering that it's difficult. And this challenge is proper difficult.

rickybobbyf1

Marty_Y wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 19:12
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sailing/58792679

Ineos Britannia and Mercedes F1 join forces for America's Cup challenge

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Mercedes F1 chief technical officer James Allison, who will be the technical lead on the America's Cup project, said: "When people talk about the America's Cup being like F1 on water, most people are thinking: 'It's a bit hydrodynamic, it's a bit aerodynamic, it's technological'.

"But the most striking comparison to me is that it's difficult.

"And the way it's worked OK for us in F1 is having the humility to admit that it's difficult and that your competitors will eat you up if for a moment you stop remembering that it's difficult. And this challenge is proper difficult.
Man, I wish we had the proper team of Allison, Costa and Cowell again, much needed now more than ever

mstar

pursue_one's wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 11:28
Red Bull's request to the FIA for the alleged Mercedes trick of cooling the plenum resulted into nothing.
"That was shot down," is the word we hear from Red Bull sources.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... lendspurt/
This was a own goal, Ferrari analysed this and told Renault and RB. RB investigated the data from Ferrari and lodged the clarification themselves without consultation (when Ferrari having known this for awhile). Ferrari and Renault did not. Typical RB anything they see to cry about they will go running to FIA. Basically Ferrari pulled a great one, they got RB to do the dirty work lol

selvam_e2002

first of all it is a F1 racing not a drink racing.... We need to have multiple manufacture to participate in F1 race not a drink or other filed company just for marketing purpose to sell their product outside of the F1 and automobile market.

till then this cry politics will happen.

Just_a_fan

I'll post this here as Hamilton is part of the team and this is the team page.
Lewis Hamilton launches scheme to recruit black teachers in STEM subjects
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58790701

Hopefully this will bear fruit - any improvement in education is to be welcomed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Awesome. Hamilton and Mercedes are actually putting their money where their mouth is and walking the talk. History will remember them well.

Nice way to close out the period of the black Mercedes car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Shrieker

Probability of rain on Sat&Sunday is increasing. I hope the team has that PU at the ready.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PlatinumZealot

The car has been awfully kind to wet weather tyres over the years. In qualifyings and in races. The rain is exactly what we need. Cars stopping early will have benefit of new wet tyres for undercut but it can backfire if the track dries on them in their second stint while "we" pit for slicks. So yeah. Bring on the rain.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

If it rains LH can win from 20th..
Maybe it's not a bad thing to happen, as much as I would like to see the cars run in a clean race.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Cars owned by LH100. He says the Zonda doesnt have good handling. Odd.

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/motors/c ... tow-truck/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

adrianjordan

Have there been any, reliable, estimates about how much a new PU is worth in terms of lap time?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 03:31
Maybe it's not a bad thing to happen, as much as I would like to see the cars run in a clean race.
Sorry but that's just unrealistic. A new PU in the wet isn't that beneficial as you can't use all of the extra performance anyway. And as good as Hamilton is in the wet, Max and others at the front are just as good. He'd need Max, Lando, etc., to have issues to even get on the podium. Something like Max's perfectly timed tyre change to inters at the last race, for example. Otherwise, like Max was, he'll stall around P5-7 at best.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 10:22
ringo wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 03:31
Sorry but that's just unrealistic. A new PU in the wet isn't that beneficial as you can't use all of the extra performance anyway. And as good as Hamilton is in the wet, Max and others at the front are just as good. He'd need Max, Lando, etc., to have issues to even get on the podium. Something like Max's perfectly timed tyre change to inters at the last race, for example. Otherwise, like Max was, he'll stall around P5-7 at best.
Agree, you'd need a great big slice of luck at the right time, similar to what Verstappen had in Sochi. You can't make up all that time on the front 4-5 cars starting from 20th without a few safety cars, or a red flag or some bizarre weather to do the same thing. Maybe in 2014 when the Mercedes was in a class of it's own, but not in 2021 when it's much more competitive.

Verstappen got through the positions nicely in the first stint but ate his tyres doing so. If anything he was going backwards until the perfect amount of rain (to make it not a slam dunk for everyone to immediately come in at once) came along at the perfect time to bail him out. (a few laps to go, so some in the points chanced their arm on slicks)

Not to say it wouldn't or couldn't happen, but it's very unlikely for those circumstances to occur.

El Scorchio

Great video- really interesting. Thanks!
The bit about predicting the races by running all those sims with variables to find the most likely outcomes was something I didn't know they did. Exactly the same way the weather is forecast, I believe!