Escalation in race and team threads

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Big Tea

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

nzjrs wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:19
wesley123 wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:15
TimW wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 18:22
BTW on another forum I frequent there is the option to react to post with a like/thanks/smile/confused/etc emote. I like that option because people can voice their agreement/disagreement without posting. With the disabled up/downvoting in race threads, the only way to respond is by....posting

Edit: the thing is that we want response to our posts. Without response, it feels like a post is not being read. A well balanced post that people agree with may not get replies. With a like button or similar, the writer of such a post will still feel appreciated. Without this option, people may (unconsciously) put their posts stronger to provoke replies.
These are some excellent points. Without the ability to up/downvote there is more incentive to tell someone why he/she is wrong.

I believe the rating system was to encourage and promote technical discussions. Upvote for something that contributes, and a downvote for something that is the opposite. This was also the reason why it was disabled in the race threads.

It might be a good idea to re-enable it on the whole forum. Posts that are deemed a contribution will get upvoted, and the trolls will just get downvoted by everyone. Sure, there might be some misuse of the system, but in the end it'll balance itself out.
These are good ideas. I think the Voting mechanics are fine, but emoji reactions in addition might be good way to funnel some of the pointless replies into a channel that's not so polluting.
Is there an emoji for 'Ah, right. I disagree with you but you are entitled to your opinion, so am I to mine, let it drop'?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

Big Tea wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 17:08
nzjrs wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

These are some excellent points. Without the ability to up/downvote there is more incentive to tell someone why he/she is wrong.

I believe the rating system was to encourage and promote technical discussions. Upvote for something that contributes, and a downvote for something that is the opposite. This was also the reason why it was disabled in the race threads.

It might be a good idea to re-enable it on the whole forum. Posts that are deemed a contribution will get upvoted, and the trolls will just get downvoted by everyone. Sure, there might be some misuse of the system, but in the end it'll balance itself out.
These are good ideas. I think the Voting mechanics are fine, but emoji reactions in addition might be good way to funnel some of the pointless replies into a channel that's not so polluting.
Is there an emoji for 'Ah, right. I disagree with you but you are entitled to your opinion, so am I to mine, let it drop'?
:lol: Maybe like a PlayStation cheat code, you have to do a sequence:

:| :? :) :wink: 8) :?:

TimW

Big Tea wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 17:08
nzjrs wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Confusion emoji is commonly used for pretty much just that

Sieper

People just need to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes and only then post.Teamthreads get infested by people who don’t. It sucks. Drains the life from the site.

nzjrs

Shrug emoji is pretty good in those situations too.

Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 18:47
People just need to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes and only then post.
What does that mean in the context of a forum about F1? We're not discussing people escaping from poverty or violence. We're discussing F1. There is no "walk in someone's shoes" in that context.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AeroDynamic

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 19:56
Sieper wrote:
What does that mean in the context of a forum about F1? We're not discussing people escaping from poverty or violence. We're discussing F1. There is no "walk in someone's shoes" in that context.
Shoes usually refers to personal experience. We are followers and fans. I think the appropriate thing that he means to say is “follow a season with my cap on” and feel like me.

Represent or hide, follow a season with my 🧢 on, and you’ll be a fan too, with something to prove.

There’s always going to be one. They are a minority. Use the mute button, and when it gets too much, just step away and go outside for some fresh air. :)

Stu

hUirEYExbN wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 13:49
Stu wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 07:10
dans79 wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 16:51
I don't get it, why do so many of you think the answer is to just segregate off problematic users?
The forum has very clear rules that everyone should be made to abide by. If they can't or won't abide by them they should be booted from the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5009
“…kill them…”

Quote from one of the best comedy shows ever!!!
Quote from 20% of all media ever. You need to be more specific with something like that.
Quote is from a comedy series from the mid-nineties called “The Armstrong & Miller Show”, pure genius!

Last edited by Stu on 05 Oct 2021, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

SiLo

I disagree with your opinion and value my opinion higher than yours, so now I will insult you and call you an idiot for not conforming to my subjective views.

Instead of deleting posts, can mods replace those ones with the above statement? It's pretty much what most of these troublesome posts boil down to.
Felipe Baby!

nzjrs

SiLo wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 20:35
I disagree with your opinion and value my opinion higher than yours, so now I will insult you and call you an idiot for not conforming to my subjective views.

Instead of deleting posts, can mods replace those ones with the above statement? It's pretty much what most of these troublesome posts boil down to.
Was this an earnest suggestion?

Big Tea

AeroDynamic wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 20:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:
Shoes usually refers to personal experience. We are followers and fans. I think the appropriate thing that he means to say is “follow a season with my cap on” and feel like me.

Represent or hide, follow a season with my 🧢 on, and you’ll be a fan too, with something to prove.

There’s always going to be one. They are a minority. Use the mute button, and when it gets too much, just step away and go outside for some fresh air. :)
Besides, If you still don't like them then, you are a mile away and they have no shoes.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

Big Tea wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 21:45
AeroDynamic wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 20:18
Just_a_fan wrote:

Besides, If you still don't like them then, you are a mile away and they have no shoes.
B-dumm, tish!!! 😂😂
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:
But there is. A F1 forum is an escape. Just not of poverty or violence.

The point is not that you should like the same guy as me. The point is that if you don’t, and you have something to say, think as if it was your guy that had done a thing, or was of the receiving end of things being done you are now commenting on, and with that in mind formulate your view. I do. Not always, but yes, it is the basis. Not for my benefit but yours, and in the end, our all, so also mine.

SiLo

nzjrs wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 21:23
SiLo wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 20:35

Was this an earnest suggestion?
It was most definitely tongue in cheek.
Felipe Baby!

coaster

Figjam