2021 Turkish Grand Prix - Istanbul Park, Oct 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Turkish Grand Prix - Istanbul Park, Oct 08 - 10

It’s easy in hindsight but they should have reacted to Perez, and I was very surprised they didn’t. The car clearly had the pace to get by on like for like rubber. I believe they’d have finished third doing that.

Mercedes seem to really um and ah over pit calls, are very conservative, and they miss the optimum time sometimes as a result. I think Hamilton really bails them out of a fair few poor calls each season, and in the past they have been bailed out by almost always having the pace to make up for it.

Gillian
Gillian

ringo wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:40
The propaganda that Bottas is no good is to blame. Bottas only looks bad when compared to Lewis.
Max fans will just say the car was good and those 15 seconds should have 40s. :lol:

But Bottas did a really good drive, as he does when he is leading, and mad Max looked pretty ordinary I must stay. Max had no answer for Bottas pace. Bottas also made zero mistakes.
So if Hamilton had started this race on pole, the gap would still have been only 15 seconds? Or was Bottas' pace that good, that Hamilton could not have been faster? What are you implying here exactly? Pretty obvious the Mercedes had way more pace this weekend where Red Bull are struggling.

And just stop with the "max fans" bashing. People who think Max is a driving God and can't do anything wrong are just as annoying as those who think Hamilton can't do anything wrong. Be better than them and just ignore those obvious childish trolls.

Dee
Dee

Gillian wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:52
ringo wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:40
The propaganda that Bottas is no good is to blame. Bottas only looks bad when compared to Lewis.
Max fans will just say the car was good and those 15 seconds should have 40s. :lol:

But Bottas did a really good drive, as he does when he is leading, and mad Max looked pretty ordinary I must stay. Max had no answer for Bottas pace. Bottas also made zero mistakes.
So if Hamilton had started this race on pole, the gap would still have been only 15 seconds? Or was Bottas' pace that good, that Hamilton could not have been faster? What are you implying here exactly? Pretty obvious the Mercedes had way more pace this weekend where Red Bull are struggling.

And just stop with the "max fans" bashing. People who think Max is a driving God and can't do anything wrong are just as annoying as those who think Hamilton can't do anything wrong. Be better than them and just ignore those obvious childish trolls.
He must think that Bottas is as quick as Hamilton in the wet and put on blinkers to the fact that Lewis puts 30 seconds on Bottas easily in these conditions

cplchanb
cplchanb

Shrieker wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:27
Isola just said he had a look at Hamilton's tires, and said they were worn down to the construction. He added all of the cars that pitted after 47-48 laps had exposed cores. I think the team made the right choice today. Mclaren made that mistake in China 2007 and it cost them the title.
fair point, but they definitely called him in way too late considering they say what happened to everyone else that just left the pits with their graining.

cplchanb
cplchanb

NL_Fer wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:25
cplchanb wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:15
mzivtins wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:13

He did, the pace drop off vs inters coming out of their grain phase was 2+seconds per lap at points, that deficit would have been such a massive risk when paired with the fear of tyre failure.
regardless i guess the tldr is that pirelli cant make a good tyre that can operate in any type of condition consistently...
Nothing wrong with the inter. It was a logical result of the track situation this weekend. It wasn’t raining, just the track which was staying damp.
the BS tyres can work well in this conditions without graining as soon as you put them on. it was moderately damp. but too wet for softs. however these inters cant handle these conditions and instantly overheated the tread away. pirelli has a tyre gap as witnessed in this race... too dry for inters....too wet for slicks.... they got a lot of work to do for next year

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

cplchanb wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 17:00
NL_Fer wrote:
cplchanb wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:15

regardless i guess the tldr is that pirelli cant make a good tyre that can operate in any type of condition consistently...
Nothing wrong with the inter. It was a logical result of the track situation this weekend. It wasn’t raining, just the track which was staying damp.
the BS tyres can work well in this conditions without graining as soon as you put them on. it was moderately damp. but too wet for softs. however these inters cant handle these conditions and instantly overheated the tread away. pirelli has a tyre gap as witnessed in this race... too dry for inters....too wet for slicks.... they got a lot of work to do for next year
The tires ran fine for 40 laps and they do function fine on other tracks. Only Hamilton and LeClerc struggled for 2-3 laps after they put the new ones on.

cplchanb
cplchanb

NL_Fer wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 17:06
cplchanb wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

The tires ran fine for 40 laps and they do function fine on other tracks. Only Hamilton and LeClerc struggled for 2-3 laps after they put the new ones on.
thats what i mean....they cant switch on or overheat as soon as they put them on in these conditions. by the time its working its a half slick... good tyres dont need to wear down just to start working.

El Scorchio

NL_Fer wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 17:06
cplchanb wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

Yeah, I don’t think you can blame the tyres for anything today. They were the same for everyone. Some teams just managed to call the conditions of the race better than others.

Zynerji

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but having Jenson Button doing color commentary in these conditions was fabulous! He was waaaay more on it than Brundle would have been. I hope we hear him a lot in the future!

AeroDynamic

Unless red bull have set up woes throughout the remainder of the season, I think this is Max’s to lose. The weather has really not gone against him.

If the track dried up today, the red bulls would have struggled to finish where they’re were. The under steer would’ve been mitigated by these conditions.

Very impressed with Bottas and Perez today, I expected them both to struggle in those conditions but they drove well!

Red Bull are clearly the best pit wall / crew team these days. As long as their car is close, or even ahead (it’s still unclear which car is ahead to me) I think they have this. I’d be surprised if Mercedes can finish higher than p3 in Mexico and Brazil.

Big Tea

More and more I am feeling Hamilton will not be back next year if he wins this title. He seems more of the mind set that he has a job to do now, rather than racing and enjoying it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

mzivtins wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 15:58
Fulcrum wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 15:54
Oh well, Mercedes binned Hamilton's podium there. I wonder how consequential that will be come the end of the year?
Relative to Lec and Oco performance on same age tyres, do you believe that Ham would have lost positions by staying out?

The merc was faster, but was it fast enough to stop the pace drop off like Lec and Oco had?
Well, he lost two positions by pitting. Would he have lost more by staying out? I don't know. If tyres were down to the carcass, as has been suggested, then probably yes.

Mogster

Fulcrum wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 17:52
mzivtins wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 15:58
Fulcrum wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 15:54
Oh well, Mercedes binned Hamilton's podium there. I wonder how consequential that will be come the end of the year?
Relative to Lec and Oco performance on same age tyres, do you believe that Ham would have lost positions by staying out?

The merc was faster, but was it fast enough to stop the pace drop off like Lec and Oco had?
Well, he lost two positions by pitting. Would he have lost more by staying out? I don't know. If tyres were down to the carcass, as has been suggested, then probably yes.
A tyre failure could have given them nothing.

zibby43
zibby43

AeroDynamic wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 17:34
Unless red bull have set up woes throughout the remainder of the season, I think this is Max’s to lose. The weather has really not gone against him.

If the track dried up today, the red bulls would have struggled to finish where they’re were. The under steer would’ve been mitigated by these conditions.

Very impressed with Bottas and Perez today, I expected them both to struggle in those conditions but they drove well!

Red Bull are clearly the best pit wall / crew team these days. As long as their car is close, or even ahead (it’s still unclear which car is ahead to me) I think they have this. I’d be surprised if Mercedes can finish higher than p3 in Mexico and Brazil.
I got the complete opposite impression re: the championship after today.

Merc’s conservative call with Hamilton tells me they think have them pace to win this thing without super risky pit calls.

Bottas’ pace made it look like the old dominant days, too.

Skywalker12
Skywalker12

The only time when Hamilton DOESN'T say he's tyres are gone, they actually are :lol: