Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2021 season?

Phil wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 15:19
Manoah2u wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 21:28
Are you for real?
I'm no athlete yet have undeniable difference in health condition pre and post covid.
I know quite a few people who have undeniable differences in health condition too, without contracting covid, but they think they did, because they feel a difference. These differences can be attributed to psychological factors, the fact that most of us have been in lockdown, have to wear masks during extensive periods and simply have had less opportunity to do the workout they've been used to before 2020.

I'm not saying that long covid doesn't exist - I'm sure it does. But to what degree it has an impact on fitness and health without factoring in the change the whole world has gone through (including psychologically) is very hard to quantify. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an element of psychologically that also plays a role too *for most* (sans professional athletes perhaps where such a difference could be better quantified).

In regards to Lewis Hamilton and his post race condition - could very well be long covid. He was one of the very few drivers though that had a probably even harder race than most, given the strategy he was on and to what degree he had to push and the conditions present. If he any less fit than what he usually is, I find it extremely impressive how he was able to maintain his pace and attack mode to the very last lap, even after he passed Sainz and caught up to Vettel even though there really was zero change for an overtake. Judging by his race performance, there's no way I would have assumed he was in any way handicapped.
Don't start with the negative mask theories. Medical professionals such as surgeons and dentists have been wearing them for decades with no ill effects.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wouter

Currently, people are busy creating 90 000 seats, because standing / sitting in a dune place is not allowed,
a requirement in connection with the covid rules.
On August 13, the government will come up with the new measures and then we will know
whether the GP will continue or not.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The GP Zandvoort will continue in a slimmed-down form. 2/3 Number of visitors are welcome on September 3, 4 and 5.

Jan Lammers, Director Dutch GP:

"For me the glass is two-thirds full. We're just going to do it. The three companies behind the Dutch Grand Prix, Circuit Zandvoort, SportVibes and TIG Sports, have decided to invest in the future of F1 in the Netherlands. The belief in the ambition to organize the largest Ultimate Race Festival in the world remains the ultimate goal for the coming years. Although in slimmed-down form this year, despite that, the battle for the world championship in a beautiful orange ambiance."

"A lot of work has gone into renovating the circuit and organizing one of the biggest sporting events in Dutch history.
The organization is pleased that the majority of our cardholders have the opportunity to experience the battle for the Formula 1 World Championship live.
It is very disappointing for the group of fans who cannot attend."

"By Wednesday August 18 at the latest, ticket buyers will be informed by email whether they can experience the race this year, or whether they will have to be patient for another year.
For the fans who unfortunately cannot attend, it is possible to transfer their ticket(s) to the Dutch Grand Prix of 2022 or to request a refund. "
The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

Great news Wouter! Good to have a new track with a full crowd!

Wouter

nzjrs wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 20:21
Great news Wouter! Good to have a new track with a full crowd!
Indeed, it is @nzjrs. 70 000 people per day. ( only seats )

I forgot this link. f1-heineken-dutch-grand-prix-will-continue-with-limited-seating-capacity

https://dutchgp.com/en/f1-heineken-dutc ... -capacity/
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

There is good news for the Turkish GP which will take place in the second weekend of October.
The United Kingdom has altered the travel advice to Turkey on Friday and removed the country from the red list.

Turkish GP accessible for teams

The Secretary of Transport has confirmed that Turkey is no longer on the UK's red list of travel destinations. This means that the teams based there can probably travel to Turkey without too much trouble.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

F1 medical car driver Van der Merwe set to miss final 2021 races
By: Adam Cooper Oct 12, 2021, 12:03 PM

Formula 1 medical driver Alan van der Merwe is set to miss the final races of this season even if he recovers from his current bout of COVID-19.

Having already had COVID early last season Van der Merwe tested positive shortly before the Turkish GP. F1 doctor Ian Roberts also tested positive, and thus both men were unable to travel to Istanbul.

Van der Merwe subsequently confirmed on social media last weekend that he has not been vaccinated against COVID for personal reasons.

Proof of vaccination is currently required for entry to Qatar and Saudi Arabia, and it's understood that it will also be necessary
for access to the red zone/paddock area in Abu Dhabi.

Van der Merwe is thus one of a number of unvaccinated F1 personnel who usually travel to races who won't be able to attend the last events of the season.

He used Twitter to explain the reasons behind his personal choices, and confirmed that he expects to miss some races.

"In Switzerland (I'm half Swiss) and other developed countries, prior infection counts as much as a vaccine," he wrote.

"I trust that those countries know what they're doing, and also respect countries' more restrictive rules and not travel there."

He added: "I am fully aware that I will potentially be less employable or that my freedom of movement will be restricted based on my choices.

"That I will not choose convenience over my own health does not mean I am making decisions out of selfishness. We all just want to be healthy."

[ ..... ]
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-m ... bb-BMVzq8w
The Power of Dreams!

adrianjordan

Wouter wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 12:49

Formula 1 medical driver Alan van der Merwe is set to miss the final races of this season even if he recovers from his current bout of COVID-19.

Having already had COVID early last season Van der Merwe tested positive shortly before the Turkish GP. F1 doctor Ian Roberts also tested positive, and thus both men were unable to travel to Istanbul.

Van der Merwe subsequently confirmed on social media last weekend that he has not been vaccinated against COVID for personal reasons.

Proof of vaccination is currently required for entry to Qatar and Saudi Arabia, and it's understood that it will also be necessary

Van der Merwe is thus one of a number of unvaccinated F1 personnel who usually travel to races who won't be able to attend the last events of the season.

He used Twitter to explain the reasons behind his personal choices, and confirmed that he expects to miss some races.

"In Switzerland (I'm half Swiss) and other developed countries, prior infection counts as much as a vaccine," he wrote.

"I trust that those countries know what they're doing, and also respect countries' more restrictive rules and not travel there."

He added: "I am fully aware that I will potentially be less employable or that my freedom of movement will be restricted based on my choices.

"That I will not choose convenience over my own health does not mean I am making decisions out of selfishness. We all just want to be healthy."

[ ..... ]
It's refreshing to hear someone choosing not to get vaccinated say that they accept that this may lead to consequences in terms of personal freedoms.

Whether or not I agree with his choice, and the evidence has yet to show whether prior infection is as effective as a vaccine (though medical logic would suggest it should be), I respect his attitude.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 18:59
Wouter wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 12:49

[ ..... ]
It's refreshing to hear someone choosing not to get vaccinated say that they accept that this may lead to consequences in terms of personal freedoms.

Whether or not I agree with his choice, and the evidence has yet to show whether prior infection is as effective as a vaccine (though medical logic would suggest it should be), I respect his attitude.
And not insisting others follow 'his' example. Personal choice with no barb. Well done him
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aral

Please do not turn the thread into a political soap box.

Big Tea

aral wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 14:54
Sorry, I was not intending to be political, just saying it is good that someone makes their own decision, right or wrong, and does not take the opportunity to say everyone else should follow their example.

I really did mean well done, not irony.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

henry

aral wrote:
There is no point to this thread. ALL decisions that are being taken on whether to host and run an F1 event are based on value judgements. Some would say that’s politics. Since Politics is forbidden I suggest this thread be closed.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Zynerji

henry wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 16:51
aral wrote:
There is no point to this thread. ALL decisions that are being taken on whether to host and run an F1 event are based on value judgements. Some would say that’s politics. Since Politics is forbidden I suggest this thread be closed.
Agreed.

nzjrs

Bollocks. This thread at times formed an interesting way to discuss the information as it came to hand. Don't close it because some people turn everything political.

henry

nzjrs wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 16:59
Bollocks. This thread at times formed an interesting way to discuss the information as it came to hand. Don't close it because some people turn everything political.
Yes you’re right. I overreacted because I’m having a difficult correspondence with my MP on the subject of Covid. That IS political and I won’t air it here.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus