2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MV8
MV8

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Rain is not good for us, true?
Just posting

JPower

Big brain thinking by Ferrari all through that quali session. Great to see.

Hopefully its dry tomorrow as that will definitely help both cars. They seem to have the pace advantage over McLaren at the momemt.

codetower

Ive been impressed all year with how the team has quickly adjusted from a bad situation. I do think they were fortunate to be up in P4/P3 (after Ham’s penalty). The car is setup with lower downforce which doesn’t suit well for the rain. If it’s dry tomorrow, I expect a great race. I hope Charles doesn’t get too desperate on the first lap and make any mistakes. I think we have the pace to push for a podium.

Gillian

I think Leclerc is aiming for third. He stated post qualifying that he would not intervene with Bottas and Verstappen. That comment sounds to me like he won't do anything silly but race his own race and get a podium.

Mansell89

Got to hope it dries out but this mornings drizzle hasn’t helped. Surprised they went low downforce after an excellent show of pace in Russia with that massive rear wing!!

Any idea what setup Carlos went with?

Manfer

Mansell89 wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 12:47
Got to hope it dries out but this mornings drizzle hasn’t helped. Surprised they went low downforce after an excellent show of pace in Russia with that massive rear wing!!

Any idea what setup Carlos went with?
Carlos is running max downforce.

JPower

A little disappointing given the opportunities but what can you do?

Charles had a good shot at a podium and Carlos probably should've finished P5-P7 had he not lost around 6 seconds in the pits.

However, P4 and P8 is solid. Great drives by both pilots.

EDIT: I forgot, the new PU is obviously a great improvement. Charles was staying on par with Max during the first stint.

JPower

codetower

I must say, as much as I would have liked a podium, aside from that gamble by Charles that didn’t payoff (i didn’t mind taking that gamble), this was a very promising result. Carlos was cutting through the field pretty well, and Leclerc was keeping up with the leaders all throughout the race… not to mention holding back Hamilton at the end there. I am really looking forward to these two new PU’s on a full, dry track!

f1316

Yeah, I mean, look at the pace vs the front and remember these are basically the same chassis as 2020 - it’s huge progress that they’re there or thereabouts with the front. As much as we’d love to see a race win before the end of the year, the more interesting point is how much the new PU has transformed the performance - if this is a trial of some of the tech for next year, to be mated to the supposedly groundbreaking superfast ICE, that’s pretty promising. Ultimately the goal is to be in the hunt for all the race wins next year.

F1NAC

Would be really nice if they could round this year with a win. Would be great for morale. The team that probably improved the most on the grid.

Reason for slow stop

wowgr8

This is where the decision not to develop this year's car comes to bite us, afaik we only brought 1 or 2 updates all year. If we'd upgraded the car as much as McLaren + this new PU we'd probably be in a position to steal a win somewhere but barring complete chaos I don't see that happening, the race pace might be enough to hang with Red Bull on occasion but definitely not Mercedes

Not that I'm complaining about focusing on 22

JPBD1990

Yes I think you said it. While if we’d continue to develop this year we might be in a position to steal a win here or there. Stealing a win here and there was never the goal.

Humans aren’t good at long timeframes. Everyone wants to win immediatelyyyyyy, but this is what it takes. Imo anyway.

Binotto not attending the next races to oversee the 2022 project which he states is in a key stage of development is also encouraging. Meanwhile on twitter people are lambasting him for it. I don’t understand dumb.

codetower

I have to disagree on a couple of points. First, I do think Ferrari brought in some pretty decent development upgrades this year. Remember they were limited with tokens. They chose to upgrade the rear suspension/gearbox, they redesigned the nose, changed the rear diffuser, they changed the rear brake duct inlet, and others I’m surely missing. Also throughout the year they’ve been bringing in floor changes, changes to the cooling outlet, etc. AND they just introduced a completely new hybrid unit. Wasn’t at the beginning of the year, but it’s here in 2021. It’s interesting you mention McLaren, over on their thread I see some of the same comments… how they aren’t bringing upgrades and Ferrari is.

Secondly, I am glad they are putting so much emphasis on 2022 and beyond. Realistically, if they would have gone crazy with upgrades this year, do you really think they could have jumped RB or MERC? I still think they would have come in 3rd. Closer to the top 2, but I believe still 3rd. I still think they can get 3rd. And hopefully 2022 and beyond we’ll be fighting closely with the top 3.

JPower

codetower wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 20:16
I have to disagree on a couple of points. First, I do think Ferrari brought in some pretty decent development upgrades this year. Remember they were limited with tokens. They chose to upgrade the rear suspension/gearbox, they redesigned the nose, changed the rear diffuser, they changed the rear brake duct inlet, and others I’m surely missing. Also throughout the year they’ve been bringing in floor changes, changes to the cooling outlet, etc. AND they just introduced a completely new hybrid unit. Wasn’t at the beginning of the year, but it’s here in 2021. It’s interesting you mention McLaren, over on their thread I see some of the same comments… how they aren’t bringing upgrades and Ferrari is.
Outside of the hybrid unit, I don’t consider anything they’ve done to be as extensive as McLaren has done with redesigned bargeboards, the new flow conditioners on the nose, new front wing, revamped floor and engine cover, etc.

I’d say Aston, RB, Merc, and McLaren have all brought pretty extensive changes through the season.

That’s not to say Ferrari hasn’t brought any development at all, but its been limited at best, even relative to others this year.