2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

ScottR267 wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 00:21
https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-ne ... RTcKtsDtwQ

Could be interesting if true.
The group has debts for sure, but I don't think they would sell the team. And I don't think they need to.

I have no idea what the Mclaren books look like now. In 3 months we can get some idea, but with asset sales such as applied and the MTC, you'd think they are on an even keel. Not to mention the sale of a portion of the F1 team and the investment they received.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

_cerber1

A few months ago, Zak said that McLaren is firmly on their feet and they look confidently into the future. As I understand it, this means that they were able to resolve all financial issues. But, I do not exclude the possibility that the price offered by Audi will be very sweet, and the deal may take place.

CjC
CjC

If there was any movement between Mclaren and VW I’d rather see Mclaren become VWs works team rather than a whole buyout although.... the last works effort for Mclaren with a new PU partner was horrendous🙈
Just a fan's point of view

billamend

Given Seidl history, I see Porsche wanting to be a works team with McLaren (like Mercedes was).

Zak mentions the new Wind Tunnel and Simulator in this video

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 08:44
ScottR267 wrote:

The group has debts for sure, but I don't think they would sell the team. And I don't think they need to.

I have no idea what the Mclaren books look like now. In 3 months we can get some idea, but with asset sales such as applied and the MTC, you'd think they are on an even keel. Not to mention the sale of a portion of the F1 team and the investment they received.
They have diluted their shares a huge chunk just last year. That is a form of selling.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 13:46
mwillems wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 08:44
ScottR267 wrote:

They have diluted their shares a huge chunk just last year. That is a form of selling.
They sold an up to 33% stake but I don't think the group will let go of the team, I'd be highly surprised if they divest any further.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

All you need is 51%.

Anyways... I think the article is a joke cause it says "Formula One has always been at the forefront of technology and innovation." Yet the rumor is that they only want in if we use antiquated turbo technology.

I find it Ludacris that between 2030 - 2040 majority countries will forbit the sale of new combustion powered vehicles and F1 is considering that type of PU for 2026ish and beyond. Forefront of technology but a dinosaur as a PU.

Azzahor

Hey guys, thought I would ask. But does it not seem that McLaren's car this year seems to suffer very badly in cold weather. I do understand that they have their floors with slow speed, but its less of a problem when the weather is warm. If remainder of races are warm, they may suffer less and be in a good competitive position against Ferrari.

billamend

And people still buy the idea that synthetic fuels will be useful for everyday cars... It will be useful for some use-cases (maybe sports cars is one of them?), but will not stop the electric revolution.

McG

ScottR267 wrote:

It's just a random article by some random guy. I'll be another random guy and say that there's no way McLaren would sell 100% to VAG in any of their evil forms and drop the McLaren name. Maybe if VAG bought McLaren and still kept the McLaren name and used one of their names as an engine supplier and a title sponsor would work. After all McLaren is Saudi owned so who cares if that switches to VAG. VAG are good at letting their brands race hard against each other or so it seems, so McLaren would be another gem for them. Teaming up with Porsche as an engine supplier seems more likely but no one can tell the future.

Imagine if VAG bought McLaren and in GT3 racing we were watching a race with all these brands owned by VAG...

Audi
Porsche
Lamborghini
Bentley
McLaren
F1 is dead.

Macklaren

McG wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 15:35
ScottR267 wrote:

It's just a random article by some random guy. I'll be another random guy and say that there's no way McLaren would sell 100% to VAG in any of their evil forms and drop the McLaren name. Maybe if VAG bought McLaren and still kept the McLaren name and used one of their names as an engine supplier and a title sponsor would work. After all McLaren is Saudi owned so who cares if that switches to VAG. VAG are good at letting their brands race hard against each other or so it seems, so McLaren would be another gem for them. Teaming up with Porsche as an engine supplier seems more likely but no one can tell the future.

Imagine if VAG bought McLaren and in GT3 racing we were watching a race with all these brands owned by VAG...

Audi
Porsche
Lamborghini
Bentley
McLaren
Actually this article quotes Joe Saward who is far from a random guy. He is one of the most well connected journalists in the paddock. I still have a hard time seeing this happen and even Joe's original story doesn't have the same conviction as when he is certain about things, but there is a little smoke here for sure.

the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 13:57
All you need is 51%.

Anyways... I think the article is a joke cause it says "Formula One has always been at the forefront of technology and innovation." Yet the rumor is that they only want in if we use antiquated turbo technology.

I find it Ludacris that between 2030 - 2040 majority countries will forbit the sale of new combustion powered vehicles and F1 is considering that type of PU for 2026ish and beyond. Forefront of technology but a dinosaur as a PU.
Wow… so what do you call people who still race horses?

Electric is great for the road, but totally unsuitable as a form of entertainment. FE has proved that

ScottR267

McG wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

Audi
Porsche
Lamborghini
Bentley
McLaren
I do tend to agree in that I cannot see VAG buying McLaren. However would an engine link up as a works team be possible…..never say never!

Ground Effect

Macklaren wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 15:56
McG wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

Audi
Porsche
Lamborghini
Bentley
McLaren
Actually this article quotes Joe Saward who is far from a random guy. He is one of the most well connected journalists in the paddock. I still have a hard time seeing this happen and even Joe's original story doesn't have the same conviction as when he is certain about things, but there is a little smoke here for sure.
This is just pure speculation, in my opinion. They’re just making assumptions based on McLaren’s current financial situation. But there have been stronger links between VAG and Red Bull.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier

ScottR267 wrote:

Seems to be just someone playing the “what if” game… Yes, McLaren is in debt, but they have found sufficient funding and good financial strategies to be self sustainable for the future, not only in order to subsist, but with enough additional resources to invest in their infrastructure and tools.

Could Audi buy McLaren? Yes… There are a lot of companies out there that could potentially buy McLaren, the question is if the investors at McLaren would be willing to sell it… On the other hand, when buying McLaren you aren’t just buying an F1 Team and it’s capabilities, you are buying a brand, would Audi buy McLaren and eliminating the brand? Also, McLaren automotive for the most part exists due to the McLaren F1 race team, whomever decides to buy McLaren would have to buy both since the potential value of McLaren automotive would be diminish without the F1 Team behind it.

I could see the VAG group trying to buy McLaren (just as they bought Lamborghini for example), but it wouldn’t be so that Audi would take over as the brand showcased in F1.

Finally, it is just a a rumor or even better described as a hypothetical scenario thrown out there for some clickbait… That of course is just my opinion.