2022 F1 Race Calendar

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

2022 F1 Race Calendar

The Power of Dreams!

jjn9128

Re: Formula 1 > 2022 Calendar

Miami and Canada are in weird places if they wanted to minimize air travel. Two triple headers is madness. Gotta feel for the trackside staff, hope the teams rotate staff to reduce burnout.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

adrianjordan

Yeah. Surely would have made sense to have Canada and Miami back to back.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Madhouse

$100 Australian GP gets canceled again.

Stu

Lots of unnecessary ‘one-off’ flights in there, so much for CO2 neutral….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

MtthsMlw

Come on just give me a German GP

El Scorchio

What’s ‘circuit homologation’?

notsofast

Don't they have two of everything? The travel schedule could be something like this:

Group 1
Bahrain
Saudi Arabia
Emilia Romagna
Spain
Monaco
Azerbaijan
United Kingdom
France
Belgium
Netherlands
Russia
Japan
Abu Dhabi

Group 2
Australia
Miami
Canada
Austria
Hungary
Italy
Singapore
USA
Mexico
Brazil

Crazy thought: if the drivers don't like all the travel, perhaps we could have two parallel competitions! More drivers in F1. Yay!

jjn9128

El Scorchio wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 11:13
Circuits get inspected by the FIA and given a grade which gives them license to host certain types of race series for a number of years. F1 requires a grade A circuit, which has a bunch of rules about track width, lap length, sufficient runoff or barrier types, pit buildings...etc.

To get an inspection requires a hefty fee and very few circuits fail the inspection... make of that what you will... Monaco fails the criteria for a grade A (lap's too short and track too narrow) but still somehow has a top level license.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

AeroDynamic

I’m happy to have Canada, Suzuka, and Australia back. I doubt I’ll miss Losail or two Austria events from this year. But I will miss Portimao and Turkey. I already miss Mugello from 2020. I’d like a German Grand Prix to feature on the Calendar. It’s a shame that we have more uninspired tracks in the Middle East buying their way into the Calendar in place of some of the other circuits.
jjn9128 wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 23:41
Miami and Canada are in weird places if they wanted to minimize air travel. Two triple headers is madness. Gotta feel for the trackside staff, hope the teams rotate staff to reduce burnout.

Likely about money / ticket sales. The same reason Monza organisers and Silverstone organisers have given the idea of other events in the same country some push back. How many F1 races can fans afford to go to in one year in close vicinity of each other?

I mean I don’t know exactly how all those conversations go but those are the sort of noises we’ve heard when they brought up a London race and Silverstone objected.

El Scorchio

jjn9128 wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 11:25
El Scorchio wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 11:13
Circuits get inspected by the FIA and given a grade which gives them license to host certain types of race series for a number of years. F1 requires a grade A circuit, which has a bunch of rules about track width, lap length, sufficient runoff or barrier types, pit buildings...etc.

To get an inspection requires a hefty fee and very few circuits fail the inspection... make of that what you will... Monaco fails the criteria for a grade A (lap's too short and track too narrow) but still somehow has a top level license.
Ah ok! So just an unnecessarily wordy term for subject to licence/approval. Thanks!

As you say, of course it’s not going to fail, given it’s importance to F1’s American owners….

codetower

I would have loved to see Mugello back on the calendar.

I’m surprised as well Canada/Miami weren’t back to back. Seems like a lot of excess travel. Italy>US>Spain - Azerbaijan > Canada>UK. Miami is tight because of the NFL season so it might have been scheduling, but who knows.

bigblue

I used to like it when there were 16 races, and I could see them on TV.

Scorpaguy

Liberty is going to squirrel this thing. F1 should be testing in Feb, and then a race every 2 weeks until a 4 week break in August...then start up every other weekend thru Oct.

23 is madness...this will not promote better racing or encourage new teams. Basically, working for an F1 team's race staff will be like a stint in the military.

Soon we will be able to enjoy Monday Night GP's...with multiple events each weekend :(

adrianjordan

Scorpaguy wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 03:01
Liberty is going to squirrel this thing. F1 should be testing in Feb, and then a race every 2 weeks until a 4 week break in August...then start up every other weekend thru Oct.

23 is madness...this will not promote better racing or encourage new teams. Basically, working for an F1 team's race staff will be like a stint in the military.

Soon we will be able to enjoy Monday Night GP's...with multiple events each weekend :(
You think working for an F1 race team sounds bad? Try working in the NHS!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️