2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScottR267

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

CjC wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 22:32
ScottR267 wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 22:24
If I’m not mistaken, Petronas haven’t renewed their MotoGP teams sponsorship to run the satellite Yamaha. Would this suggest they are pulling out of F1 too?
Not a MotoGP fan myself so unsure of that! However if true, looks like Petronas will be out of F1 too you would assume. Surely a big risk for Mercedes given how key fuel/lubricants have been with the hybrid engines

CjC
CjC

I couldn’t find it on Autosport where I read it but here is another link

https://www.visordown.com/news/racing/m ... oto3-teams

Yea it is vitally important- I hope it doesn’t effect the PU performance- especially as a Mclaren fan🤞🏻
Just a fan's point of view

Zynerji

This could be huge, but probably only a small percentage change.

I'm surprised it's not a current supplier on the grid, as there might be some serious catch up needed...

CjC
CjC

Hang on, hasnt Aramco just announced a push for sustainable fuel?
This could be an inspired decision by Mercedes if true and could tighten their grip on the championship for years to come....

adrianjordan

If Petronas are leaving the sport, then I would hope Mercedes has a contractual right to the specific details of the products developed by them for the Merc PU.

Though I can understand Petronas not wanting a competitor to gain access to their IP, would they be relevant outside of F1?

How advanced are chemical analysis methods? Could Aramco reverse engineer the same products anyway?

More to the point.... If this is true then we'll be seeing a change to the Merc livery!!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

casper

It is not easy, but doable.There are a lot of analysis tools available to scientists and data produced fed to supercomputers that Aramco , being the richest oil company in the world can finance to do. Heck, the corona virus structure was elucidated in this way so vaccines were developed in record time. Or, ARAMCO could just buy the IP, in exchange for $ and allowing Malaysia some leeway in the OPEC controlled crude oil production volume. A sure win-win for both.

CjC
CjC

casper wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 03:10
It is not easy, but doable.There are a lot of analysis tools available to scientists and data produced fed to supercomputers that Aramco , being the richest oil company in the world can finance to do. Heck, the corona virus structure was elucidated in this way so vaccines were developed in record time. Or, ARAMCO could just buy the IP, in exchange for $ and allowing Malaysia some leeway in the OPEC controlled crude oil production volume. A sure win-win for both.
Richest oil company in the world? I saw the other day they are the richest company in the world overtaking Apple!!🤑

NL_Fer

adrianjordan wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 00:23
If Petronas are leaving the sport, then I would hope Mercedes has a contractual right to the specific details of the products developed by them for the Merc PU.

Though I can understand Petronas not wanting a competitor to gain access to their IP, would they be relevant outside of F1?

How advanced are chemical analysis methods? Could Aramco reverse engineer the same products anyway?

More to the point.... If this is true then we'll be seeing a change to the Merc livery!!!
If I remember correctly, the fuel and lubricants were developed exclusively for Mercedes in Germany and Petronas is just a namesponser.

torpor

I know that Shell and Exxon are no angels. But saudi company Aramco as main sponsor would be a PR disaster for Merc.
As Aramco wants to become more and more a petrochemical supplier – there would be big overlaps with Ineos one of the Mercedes F1 shareholders.
It’s a press canard. I’m sure
Last edited by torpor on 17 Oct 2021, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

pursue_one's

Mercedes spokesperson denies rumours that the team will part ways with its long-time title partner Petronas, for a deal with Saudi Arabian oil company Saudi Aramco.

Mercedes will not replace Petronas with Aramco in 2022
https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/70984 ... o-in-2022/

PlatinumZealot

adrianjordan wrote:

They can do what McLaren did. Use Petronas fuel, pay for it and still use Exxon Mobil sponsorship and lubricants.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

NL_Fer wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 10:07
adrianjordan wrote:

If I remember correctly, the fuel and lubricants were developed exclusively for Mercedes in Germany and Petronas is just a namesponser.
Not necessarily the complete story. Petronas are known sponsoring research if they don't have the capabiltites themselves. I read of their methods in a business text book. So technically it is still their fuels and lubricants.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

torpor

McLaren is supported by Gulf Oil not Exxon. RedBull is supported by Exxon.

Jambier

torpor wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 14:25
I know that Shell and Exxon are no angels. But saudi company Aramco as main sponsor would be a PR disaster for Merc.
As Aramco wants to become more and more a petrochemical supplier – there would be big overlaps with Ineos one of the Mercedes F1 shareholders.
It’s a press canard. I’m sure
Regarding Ineos:

INEOS to invest $2bn in Saudi Arabia.
INEOS signs agreement with Saudi Aramco and Total to build it's first ever plants in the Middle East.
The three world-scale plants will produce the key building blocks for carbon fibre, engineering polymers and synthetic lubricants that are pivotal to economic growth in the region.
Saudi Aramco and Total are preparing the construction of a $5 bn petrochemical complex (Project Amiral) which will supply more than $4 bn of downstream derivatives and speciality chemicals units; the three INEOS plants will be part of them

PlatinumZealot

torpor wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:23
McLaren is supported by Gulf Oil not Exxon. RedBull is supported by Exxon.
Refering to 2014 when they were sponsored by Exxon. McLaren reportedly used their own lubricants different from Petronas. The fuel was like Petronas though. McLaren could be seen hauling unbranded drums at the time if my memory serves so to me it was the same fuel.

RedBull on the other hand booked dyno-time to run their Renault engines on Total, at a time when the factory team were using Castrol.

Anyway. We have confirmation that the team will be staying with Petronas for at least 2025.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏