2022 F1 Race Calendar

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Formula 1 > 2022 Calendar

Where there's a will, there's a way. We even have two different brands of Safety Cars in one season, a green Aston and a red Mercedes.

It's all to do with planning. And sure, certain national events do play a lot into the schedule. But in the end it's either you do, or you don't.

Instead of starting in the Middle East, there's also the option of starting in South America and ending in the Middle East.
The order of travelling through europe can also be mirrored.

Another benefit of these 'packed' travel plans would mean teams also have less options for 'updates'. They build almost scene-selected packages for their cars.
Perhaps just like a max allocation for so many engines, gearboxes, etc. the FIA should investigate a max amount of 'updates' on bodywork for the cars.
That way, teams are forced to build a car that can last through an entire continent span of races, or take a penalty.
We already have a 'token' system, so let's just say that there is a maximum of certain tokens that can be applied during the span of a 'continent series of races'.
After completing the MiddleEastern set, then the tokens get reset and they can use them for the Asia set, the America set, the Euro set, etc. etc.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:46
Manoah2u wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:28
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:22

You can but the team personnel aren't robots - they need down time too. You need at least one decent break somewhere in there as we currently have with the mandatory shutdown. They work their butts off during the off-season too, don't forget.
i'll remind you that so do staff in security, police, and healthcare - all with way less pay, less days off, AND including altering night shifts. How about Flight Crew especially now during the Pandemic.
There's way too much complaining and diva-behaviour.

It would also increace job availability as if it would 'really' be 'too much', then you can simply add a bunch of people and alternate between these crewmembers. Just increase the budget cieling or make sure staff salary is excempt, and look how you can make things happen.
Yes, but those jobs have down time periods and vacation time. Flight crew especially get lots of down time because they're strictly regulated.

You would have to increase the budget, as you say, or make some other arrangement to ensure sufficient staff always available to cover those on vacation periods.

Interesting that you consider people wanting time off to be complaining and diva-behaviour. It's called work-life balance. It's just a job, nothing more.
All that you're stating are ideal-circumstances, but the truth is they are not upheld at all. What you read in news articles is not the truth at all, and i can tell from particular experience in a vast amount of Airline businesses that what supposed to happen does not happen at all, and that the majority of the people accept the ordeals of these circumstances not because it's 'just a job' for them - it's that they have no choice, as they have little to no means for switching careers due to their family circumstances.
As for flight crew in particular - in theory yes they have lots of down time, but the international flight crew due to pandemic measurements - for example in many asian countries right now- are restricted to stay in their hotel rooms (they can't even leave the room to the hallway on the penalty of arrest which could even result in jail time and hefty fines which the airlines do not cover), and quarantine. It's essentially 'upgrade solitary confinement', and though obviously getting meals and entertainment, the time spent there is allocated as 'down time', instead of work hours, which really should be concidered being just that, as because of their work they must stay there BUT cannot be physically near their family.

I think you should ask security staff particularly at the Amsterdam Airport how 'enjoyable' their shifts are and how much off days they get and paid. It'll shock you, and then i haven't even delved into hospital staff, including those in the United States.

The only reason teams 'higher ups' are complaining is that they want to avoid having to aquire more staff, which is always something costly. They're fine with how it is right now, without being forced to spend more. They aren't neccesarily interested in earning more thanks to having more races either. They're fine with how it is.

And i'm not saying that it needs to change, all i'm saying is that with sufficient motivation ($$$, its always $$$), it's really not an issue at all.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:46
Manoah2u wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:28
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:22

You can but the team personnel aren't robots - they need down time too. You need at least one decent break somewhere in there as we currently have with the mandatory shutdown. They work their butts off during the off-season too, don't forget.
i'll remind you that so do staff in security, police, and healthcare - all with way less pay, less days off, AND including altering night shifts. How about Flight Crew especially now during the Pandemic.
There's way too much complaining and diva-behaviour.

It would also increace job availability as if it would 'really' be 'too much', then you can simply add a bunch of people and alternate between these crewmembers. Just increase the budget cieling or make sure staff salary is excempt, and look how you can make things happen.
Yes, but those jobs have down time periods and vacation time. Flight crew especially get lots of down time because they're strictly regulated.

You would have to increase the budget, as you say, or make some other arrangement to ensure sufficient staff always available to cover those on vacation periods.

Interesting that you consider people wanting time off to be complaining and diva-behaviour. It's called work-life balance. It's just a job, nothing more.

Edit: I see you've edited your original proposal and added some down time. Good thing. One must always remember that there are families at home for many/most of these people. You can't compare a job where you go home at the end of each shift to one where you might spend several days a week away from home living in hotels. It's tiring and emotionally draining after a while. I really think some people believe all of the hype about glamour and high salaries and forget the realities of living out of a suitcase for most of the year.
Could you tell my scheduling department that please?

This week I am working the following shifts:

M: 1600-0200
T: 1600-0200
W: 1400-0000
T: 1530-0130
F: 1800-0400

Off Sat and Sun, then next week looks like this:

M: 1800-0400
T: 1800-0400
W: 1800-0400
T: 1800-0400
F: Rest Day
S: 0800-1800
S: Annual Leave

And they're fairly standard weeks. Oh and when I quote those as start and finish times, I have to get there early to check my vehicle and rarely finish on time.... Being an hour late off is not unusual!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Scorpaguy

Big Tea wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 21:41
Wouter wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 20:40
Marty_Y wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 20:37
I don't like the idea of more sprint races, 3 is more than enough, or 3 too many imo.
I agree!
Can we ask here as a straw poll, now we have seen them, how many people prefer to watch weekends WITH the sprint?
I realise it us not going to be anywhere close to accurate.

My vote, No sprint races is about right, but it was right to try it
How about zero sprint races and awarding points for quali? I understand that most feel starting on the front row pole has its own perks...still, with the way starts are now, a very good weekend can result in no points because of squirrels getting overly anxious on lap 1.

Big Tea

Scorpaguy wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 19:03
Big Tea wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 21:41
Wouter wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 20:40

I agree!
Can we ask here as a straw poll, now we have seen them, how many people prefer to watch weekends WITH the sprint?
I realise it us not going to be anywhere close to accurate.

My vote, No sprint races is about right, but it was right to try it
How about zero sprint races and awarding points for quali? I understand that most feel starting on the front row pole has its own perks...still, with the way starts are now, a very good weekend can result in no points because of squirrels getting overly anxious on lap 1.
I understand what you mean, but surly everyone id doing their best in Qualli anyway, so would there be any advantage awarding points for it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Scorpaguy

Big Tea wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 19:10
I understand what you mean, but surly everyone id doing their best in Qualli anyway, so would there be any advantage awarding points for it?
...I think that when a team shows up, practices well, and qualifies above their means (ala Rus a few times this year...and maybe Fred as well), it is a crying shame when they get taken out on the first lap by an incident not of their making. With the "devil being in the details", I suppose that the entire points' system would have to be revamped to accommodate such (as such should only be a fraction of race points). Still, quali has become a show in itself (and a good show) and I feel worthy of some form of reward for the Teams...IMHO.

As for the sprint, or pre-race shakedown train as I refer to it, nice try...but needs to be binned.

_cerber1

#-o

hUirEYExbN

If it was anything other than testing I'd be furious!

Marty_Y

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59125551

Formula 1: Sprint format could become standard approach to grand prix weekend

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer

Personally I was hoping that people would go off the idea of sprint weekends not decide to have them every race, this is terrible.

Qualification is one of the best bits of the weekend and imo the sprint race just adds nothing, infact it ruins the race as well because it takes the mystery out of how each car is going to perform.

Just_a_fan

Marty_Y wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 22:58

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer

Personally I was hoping that people would go off the idea of sprint weekends not decide to have them every race, this is terrible.

Qualification is one of the best bits of the weekend and imo the sprint race just adds nothing, infact it ruins the race as well because it takes the mystery out of how each car is going to perform.
From the article:
Brawn admitted the "avid fans have not been convinced yet - they are indifferent - but the majority of our 'normal' fans were positive about the concept".
That sums up F1 today. The real fans aren't important, just the here-today, gone-tomorrow types. And thus will F1 send itself to oblivion.

Qualifying is the best part of F1 at the moment. In the sprint format, it becomes less special and less meaningful. You can get pole in qualifying for every sprint race of the season and yet end up at the end of the season with no poles on your record if you don't win the sprint race. How stupid is that?

If F1 goes down that route, I shall probably avoid watching anything other than the Sunday race.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Marty_Y

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 01:45
Marty_Y wrote:

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer

From the article:
Brawn admitted the "avid fans have not been convinced yet - they are indifferent - but the majority of our 'normal' fans were positive about the concept".
That sums up F1 today. The real fans aren't important, just the here-today, gone-tomorrow types. And thus will F1 send itself to oblivion.

Qualifying is the best part of F1 at the moment. In the sprint format, it becomes less special and less meaningful. You can get pole in qualifying for every sprint race of the season and yet end up at the end of the season with no poles on your record if you don't win the sprint race. How stupid is that?

If F1 goes down that route, I shall probably avoid watching anything other than the Sunday race.
I agree, I'm all for trying to find ways to encourage more people to enjoy the excitement of F1 but it shouldn't come at the cost of loyal long term fans.

If the sprint races are here to stay, I think that they should be totally separate from qualification and the main Sunday race.

BlueCheetah66

Marty_Y wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 02:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 01:45
Marty_Y wrote:

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer

From the article:

I agree, I'm all for trying to find ways to encourage more people to enjoy the excitement of F1 but it shouldn't come at the cost of loyal long term fans.

If the sprint races are here to stay, I think that they should be totally separate from qualification and the main Sunday race.
And with all the support shown at races this season, I'm not sure they should really be worrying about bringing in new fans at the moment. It seems F1 now has a stable fanbase so they should relax a bit on changing things.

Marty_Y

https://www.planetf1.com/news/2022-spri ... ng-venues/

Report names 2022’s six sprint qualifying venues
Finley Crebolder
Exactly where they will take place has remained unclear, even with the confirmation of the 2022 calendar, but a report from Autosport has now revealed which venues F1 wants to play host to them.

If they get their way, the race weekends in Bahrain, Imola, Canada, Austria, the Netherlands and Brazil will all feature sprint qualifying sessions.

Should the Bahrain Grand Prix be used as a sprint qualifying weekend, it means the format will be used to open the 2022 campaign.

Brazil is the only venue on F1’s wish list that hosted a sprint in 2021, which would mean Bahrain, Imola, Canada, Austria and the Netherlands all staging sprint qualifying for the first time.

Andres125sx

When will 2022 cars hit the track for first time?

MtthsMlw

Andres125sx wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 09:05
When will 2022 cars hit the track for first time?
Pre season testing starts on 23rd Feb