Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
basti313

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

You can not store the compressed air that goes into the engine. We are still talking about a throughput of thousands of liters air in a second.
You would also need to put this second into a map to get the necessary fuel into the cylinder...

The pressure is well defined by the turbo, no matter if the plenum is big or small. We are talking about super small spin up help, which might be good for drivability but not the power we might see. I see no way with playing with the pressure like this in the plenum.

If there is anything behind which is not purely drivability related, then it must be temperature an not pressure.
Don`t russel the hamster!

hollus

I think all of the things suggested would count as movable of flexible aero. But with FIA you never know.
Rivals, not enemies.

toraabe

And now this. Couldn't be more far from thruth.. https://racingnews365.com/are-staff-swi ... ine-issues

El Scorchio

toraabe wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 16:17
And now this. Couldn't be more far from thruth.. https://racingnews365.com/are-staff-swi ... ine-issues
What a silly story. The engine was designed and built long ago and precedures and practices won’t have changed since those guys left. It’s far too early for them to be having a significant effect with either manufacturer- especially if they haven’t even started at RBR yet.

b2bL44

El Scorchio wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 16:41
toraabe wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 16:17
What a silly story. The engine was designed and built long ago and precedures and practices won’t have changed since those guys left. It’s far too early for them to be having a significant effect with either manufacturer- especially if they haven’t even started at RBR yet.
I wouldn't consider it to be a silly story so easily, the original article is from AMuS, as follows:
What is the cost of the personnel loss?

Mercedes can do little at the moment to solve the problems. It's too late in the season to intervene. Most engineers are already working on the E10 adaptation for 2022, and the problems with the current combustion engine are not all understood yet either. Toto Wolff said, "All we can do at the moment is narrow down the problems and muddle through as best we can. There's no point in designing new parts anymore."

There is no explanation yet for the puzzling losses. One would guess a faulty batch of parts, but then it would affect one batch and not all. One engineer brings into play that perhaps the major bloodletting at the engine factory in Brixworth is starting to have an impact. Red Bull has poached double-digit numbers of employees from Mercedes High Performance Powertrains. That kind of thing always causes unrest.

The drivers have to live with what the technicians offer them. Both Verstappen and Hamilton spoke for the first time in Istanbul about how their world wouldn't collapse for them if they only finished second in the end. As long as there's nothing to reproach themselves for. It sounds like everything in this title race is no longer in their hands.

In the last two races, Hamilton has a lot to blame himself for. He wanted to be smarter than his strategists. In Sochi, he got off lightly. Two weeks later, he squandered a possible third place by delaying his pit stop. Verstappen, on the other hand, seems to have gone through a learning process. He has learned to finish second instead of trying to do the impossible. He could still need that if he wants to become world champion.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ampf-2021/
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

SiLo

Double digits could be 10 people. I'm quite certain it's being blown way out of proportion by the media because it generates clicks.
Felipe Baby!

LaplacesDemon

SiLo wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 11:42
Double digits could be 10 people. I'm quite certain it's being blown way out of proportion by the media because it generates clicks.
Seems the figure is somewhere around the half century mark.
I'm surprised not much has been written in the media about Owen Jones being poached since he was more senior than Hodgkinson.

pursue_one's

La Gazzetta dello Sport Editor Paolo Filisetti has been looking at the telemetry from the Turkish Grand Prix and something has struck him: " A difference in engine mode could explain the increased performance of the Mercedes engine,' the Italian thinks. (Turkey)It was not the top speed that stood out, but the acceleration of the W12 out of the slow corners. So part of that faster acceleration is because of the fact that the W12 came out of the corners easier because of the higher level of downforce. So the other part could be because of effective use of the ERS system. "

However, the modified use of the part also means that Mercedes is putting more pressure on the electrical system, which they did not replace in Lewis Hamilton's case in Turkey, for example.

PlatinumZealot

Nothing has changed engine wise I feel. Last tracks just happened to suit the car. In all the dry qualifyings except Zandvoort, perfect laps for Merc would put them three to four tenths ahead. It's just that in Turkey we expected RB to be closer (not have set-up problems). The Honda Engine was never going to be a peer to the Mercedes. Not after the gap of last year, and definitely not after these big engine development in 2021. I think what we are seeing is Mercedes getting the aero and suspension packages in the right window. Return to dominance was predicted, it was only a matter of overcoming the new floor rules.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

pursue_one's wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 14:32
La Gazzetta dello Sport Editor Paolo Filisetti has been looking at the telemetry from the Turkish Grand Prix and something has struck him: " A difference in engine mode could explain the increased performance of the Mercedes engine,' the Italian thinks. (Turkey)It was not the top speed that stood out, but the acceleration of the W12 out of the slow corners. So part of that faster acceleration is because of the fact that the W12 came out of the corners easier because of the higher level of downforce. So the other part could be because of effective use of the ERS system. "

However, the modified use of the part also means that Mercedes is putting more pressure on the electrical system, which they did not replace in Lewis Hamilton's case in Turkey, for example.

https://i.imgur.com/DHqEGNs.png
Speculation trough and trough. You'd think mercedes is smart enough to account for those variables and replace all components than needed to be replaced. I don't believe for a second they have any problems on ERS side.

Claim that they exit corners faster is another one that's far fetched. I'm not saying they absolutely don't, but In order for a car to have such an advantage on straights because of better corner exits they'd have to be on a completely different planet.
Looking at plot below it seems red bull even in turkey with all that understeer was still at worst level trough corners compared to mercedes, so that theory can go in the dust bin quickly. Lets not forget Hamilton ran almost monaco sized rear wing and that Verstappen is known as early breaker that focuses more on corner exits.

Hoffman900

Juzh wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 16:01
pursue_one's wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 14:32

https://i.imgur.com/DHqEGNs.png
Speculation trough and trough. You'd think mercedes is smart enough to account for those variables and replace all components than needed to be replaced. I don't believe for a second they have any problems on ERS side.

Claim that they exit corners faster is another one that's far fetched. I'm not saying they absolutely don't, but In order for a car to have such an advantage on straights because of better corner exits they'd have to be on a completely different planet.
Looking at plot below it seems red bull even in turkey with all that understeer was still at worst level trough corners compared to mercedes, so that theory can go in the dust bin quickly. Lets not forget Hamilton ran almost monaco sized rear wing and that Verstappen is known as early breaker that focuses more on corner exits.

https://i.imgur.com/Kpo7eWd.jpg
Exactly.

This is all just speculation. How do I get these writer's jobs? It would be a nice side gig :lol:

I would love to see the rear wheel torque over the course of a lap, and under WOT. We know what a naturally aspirated and even a traditional turbo engine power curve looks like, but with the hybrid systems as well as being able to drive the turbo independent of exhaust gas speeds, it's probably unlike anything we think.

nzjrs

Another new engine for Bottas in Austin. What's the strategy here?

dans79

nzjrs wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:00
ICE only, 5 place drop only. most likely testing for next year.
197 104 103 7

LM10

dans79 wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:04
nzjrs wrote:
Would they go for a 6. ICE just for testing reasons in such a tight championship, though? I’ve the feeling they’re really pushing the reliability limits. Would also explain their huge power jump lately.

Marty_Y

LM10 wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:13
dans79 wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:04
nzjrs wrote:
ICE is a 10 place drop.

Would they go for a 6. ICE just for testing reasons in such a tight championship, though? I’ve the feeling they’re really pushing the reliability limits. Would also explain their huge power jump lately.
10 for the first replacement then 5 for each one after.