2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Zynerji

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

Andres125sx wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 07:37
Zynerji wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 22:19
I'd rather Claire Williams...🙄
That who, managing the bottom team in the table, talk about victories proving a total disconnection with reality? #-o

No thanks, I´d keep both of them far away
That was legitimately my point..😂

diffuser

Talk about cutting it close. Took till 20 minutes left in FP3 to get the setup right for Alonso.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

diffuser

Wouter wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 20:51
Is anyone gonna make it to the end of the season having used just 3 PUs?

Gillian

Norris, Stroll, Ocon, Tsunoda, Raikkonen, Giovinazzi, Mazepin, Schumacher are all still on 3 PU.

diffuser

Gillian wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 13:18
Norris, Stroll, Ocon, Tsunoda, Raikkonen, Giovinazzi, Mazepin, Schumacher are all still on 3 PU.
It was more of a retorical question....Still, with 6 races to go...that's alot of races!

Gillian

diffuser wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 14:12
Gillian wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 13:18
It was more of a retorical question....Still, with 6 races to go...that's alot of races!
Haha I understood but I was curious so looked it up.

Ferrari PU (old spec) seems reliable and could make it I think. Honda seems reliable enough too. Not sure about Norris but maybe he could make it because Mclaren don't run the PU hard in fp. But yeah, still 6 to go...

Michelangelo

Pace looked nowhere this weekend.

diffuser

Michelangelo wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 23:15
Alonso knew he was starting from the back. He looked faster than the AMR and Alpha. So they looked 5th.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 02:28
Michelangelo wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 23:15
Alonso knew he was starting from the back. He looked faster than the AMR and Alpha. So they looked 5th.
We know Ferrari has an updated PU. While all the talk is about their rear suspension, I suspect Merc has also updated their PU somewhere around Silverstone where they tried it with Russell who was notably faster than before. Alpine's power deficit has become significant so, counting Gasly on pace, they're at best 10th or 11th. So wouldnt expect anything too different for them rest of the way apart from an odd point here and there. Maybe a completely power independent circuit like Qatar could be more fruitful with good track position.

Andres125sx

diffuser

What you guys think of Otmar as team principle ?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/otmar-sza ... move-link/

peewon

diffuser wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 19:34

First things first, if this is true, not a good indicator of where Alpine might be in development for next season. They would not be looking at drastic restructuring if they felt they were in a good place. Could be wrong, could simply be further developments in Brivio's future intentions.

On to Szafnauer. This is entirely based on his interviews with Sky when they have a team principal join commentary mid-session for a weekend. So may not be worth much, but he seems to completely lack any objectivity. Which I suppose is part of the job of the team principal (to present his team in the best light) when talking to the media. But while other TP's often do it with subtlety and statesmanship, OS has all the nuance of a carnival barker. Budkowski seems far more measured, intelligent and self-aware whenever Ive heard him speak.

His comments after the brake duct controversy and aero rule changes for this year are also fairly embarrassing imo. Sounded like someone trying to cover up their own incompetence or possibly acting as a mouth piece for someone like Lawrence Stroll or Toto.

Couple that with whatever RP/AM has done since Stroll takeover and Szafnauer promotion, I cant point to anything positive which is not explained by simply copying the Merc. I thought opting to go for Vettell was a strange decision too. Telling that AM brought in Whitmarsh before a critical rule change season.

Now, having said that, the role of TP is extends far beyond that behind the scenes and its possible hes excellent but where's the evidence for it?

So to summarize, No. Do not look at it as a positive development while acknowledging reasonable amounts of unknown information which could prove me completely wrong.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 06:47
diffuser wrote:

First things first, if this is true, not a good indicator of where Alpine might be in development for next season. They would not be looking at drastic restructuring if they felt they were in a good place. Could be wrong, could simply be further developments in Brivio's future intentions.

On to Szafnauer. This is entirely based on his interviews with Sky when they have a team principal join commentary mid-session for a weekend. So may not be worth much, but he seems to completely lack any objectivity. Which I suppose is part of the job of the team principal (to present his team in the best light) when talking to the media. But while other TP's often do it with subtlety and statesmanship, OS has all the nuance of a carnival barker. Budkowski seems far more measured, intelligent and self-aware whenever Ive heard him speak.

His comments after the brake duct controversy and aero rule changes for this year are also fairly embarrassing imo. Sounded like someone trying to cover up their own incompetence or possibly acting as a mouth piece for someone like Lawrence Stroll or Toto.

Couple that with whatever RP/AM has done since Stroll takeover and Szafnauer promotion, I cant point to anything positive which is not explained by simply copying the Merc. I thought opting to go for Vettell was a strange decision too. Telling that AM brought in Whitmarsh before a critical rule change season.

Now, having said that, the role of TP is extends far beyond that behind the scenes and its possible hes excellent but where's the evidence for it?

So to summarize, No. Do not look at it as a positive development while acknowledging reasonable amounts of unknown information which could prove me completely wrong.

Brivio is a racing director, not Team Principle. Alpine never replaced Cyril in that job.
Team Principles don't design cars. The Technical Directors are at the top of that tree.

The whole pink Mercedes idea was a good one and got them to 3ird in the championship. Remember they got away with that, since there was no rules against it. They just ended up with a minor slap on the wrist. They also forced the creation of rules to prevent that for 2021 and beyond. Not sure how much of that was his doing. If they had better drivers they could have gone higher.

Pre Stroll, he did a good job over there. I'm not sure how free his hands are now since they became Austin Martin. Also I don't think the drivers are his choice. but I don't know.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 14:58
peewon wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 06:47
diffuser wrote:

Brivio is a racing director, not Team Principle. Alpine never replaced Cyril in that job.
Team Principles don't design cars. The Technical Directors are at the top of that tree.

The whole pink Mercedes idea was a good one and got them to 3ird in the championship. Remember they got away with that, since there was no rules against it. They just ended up with a minor slap on the wrist. They also forced the creation of rules to prevent that for 2021 and beyond. Not sure how much of that was his doing. If they had better drivers they could have gone higher.

Pre Stroll, he did a good job over there. I'm not sure how free his hands are now since they became Austin Martin. Also I don't think the drivers are his choice. but I don't know.
I think they were looking to Brivio to fill that role (commercial, logistics management) with Budkowski filling the role as a director on the technical side. I understand TPs are not usually directly involved in car design, etc. but theyre certainly involved with staff appointments, strategic decisions on the technical side. Really varies from team to team.

However, a common area of responsibility for TPs is being a public face for the team and Szafnauer was extremely unimpressive in that aspect. AM got away with the pink Mercedes stuff because Toto/Stroll is a powerful and influential block in current F1. But couldn't capitalize on it and immediately fell off this year. Followed by OS whining how the rule changes were designed to hurt them (low rake cars) in particular. Not a good look.