2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

Tire selection by Pirelli

C2 - C3 - C4 | 2x hard - 3x medium - 8x soft

2019 Results
Qualifying

Race

2019 Pole Lap

2019 Race Highlights

Zynerji

Re: 2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

Hamilton, Norris, LeClerc my podium pick.

Max DNF.

SirBastianVettel

I expect Mercedes to be strong this year in Mexico, wouldn’t be surprised to see them lock out the front row.

LM10

SirBastianVettel wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 20:15
I expect Mercedes to be strong this year in Mexico, wouldn’t be surprised to see them lock out the front row.
Why?

west52keep64

LM10 wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 20:48
SirBastianVettel wrote:
Why?
This seems to be the bog standard "Mercedes have the dominant car" narrative that gets played out before each race this season. It's nonsense because it suggests the only reason Red Bull are winning is because Mercedes have been making mistakes. We are looking at paper thin margins, but Red Bull have the faster car, and there's no reason to believe they won't be incredibly strong at a track they have historically done very well at.

I expect Max to go well here, and Checo is going to be hungry for a podium at his home race. A personally wouldn't bet on anything other than a Red Bull 1-2.

etusch

west52keep64 wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 21:16
LM10 wrote:
SirBastianVettel wrote:
Why?
This seems to be the bog standard "Mercedes have the dominant car" narrative that gets played out before each race this season. It's nonsense because it suggests the only reason Red Bull are winning is because Mercedes have been making mistakes. We are looking at paper thin margins, but Red Bull have the faster car, and there's no reason to believe they won't be incredibly strong at a track they have historically done very well at.

I expect Max to go well here, and Checo is going to be hungry for a podium at his home race. A personally wouldn't bet on anything other than a Red Bull 1-2.
If Redbull 1-2 I would like to see perez at p1

Scorpaguy

etusch wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 22:06
west52keep64 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Why?

Unfortunately, little chance for a Checo P1. If Checo is running first with one lap tp go...and Max is in the top 11, Checo will have to park it just before the stripe and let Max have the point/extra points. Too much on the line. Whether it is fair or not, I assume Horner will repeat the adage, "I'd rather appear an asshole today than a fool tomorrow".

Big Tea

Scorpaguy wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 22:32
etusch wrote:
west52keep64 wrote:

Unfortunately, little chance for a Checo P1. If Checo is running first with one lap tp go...and Max is in the top 11, Checo will have to park it just before the stripe and let Max have the point/extra points. Too much on the line. Whether it is fair or not, I assume Horner will repeat the adage, "I'd rather appear an asshole today than a fool tomorrow".
Is it not better for Max if both he and Hamilton are outside the top 5 for Cheko to take the win? less points difference and more for RBR v Merc?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

etusch wrote:
west52keep64 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Why?

If RedBull are 1 - 2, no way Perez gets to the take the win. Once the Max has won the title, yes, but at the moment there's no chance.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

BlueCheetah66

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 00:57
etusch wrote:
west52keep64 wrote:

If RedBull are 1 - 2, no way Perez gets to the take the win. Once the Max has won the title, yes, but at the moment there's no chance.
I wonder if it is a RB 1-2 and Hamilton is down the order, they will be brave enough to switch the positions in front of the home crowd

Just_a_fan

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 01:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
etusch wrote:

I wonder if it is a RB 1-2 and Hamilton is down the order, they will be brave enough to switch the positions in front of the home crowd
If Hamilton is DNF, they might do. But even then I'm not sure. With the title being so tight still, every point is important. It's nice to say "we'll give Perez the win, but if Hamilton wins the title at the end of the season by 6 points, they'll all feel very silly. So they won't risk that happening.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Hammerfist

west52keep64 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
SirBastianVettel wrote:
Why?

So far only Redbull has been able to win or gain points on Mercedes on their own tracks. How about Mercedes finally doing the same? I'd say they are due to pull an upset. This championship loves to throw us curveballs. I think there are more coming.

dans79

west52keep64 wrote:
This seems to be the bog standard "Mercedes have the dominant car" narrative that gets played out before each race this season. It's nonsense because it suggests the only reason Red Bull are winning is because Mercedes have been making mistakes.
Or, Perhaps the fact that's the track has a lot of straits where Merc being able to stall the diffuser will pay big dividends.

Turns 9, 11, and 17, will determine at what speed they can collapse the rear and stall the diffuser.

For example if you stall the diffuser at 250-260 KPH, you will run the entire front strait, 80-85% of the strait betweens turns 3 and 4, and the entire strait between turns 11 and 12 with the diffuser stalled. That's going to be worth a lot of time.
197 104 103 7

Scorpaguy

Big Tea wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 00:01

Is it not better for Max if both he and Hamilton are outside the top 5 for Cheko to take the win? less points difference and more for RBR v Merc?
...of course one can go crazy ruminating upon the variables, but I would suspect a Perez will have to yield if he is first and Ham is anything other than 2nd or 3rd. The points structure outside the top 3 or 4 would seem to favor team orders...but I am sure Horner will have a team of statisticians on hand.

etusch

Just_a_fan wrote:
etusch wrote:
west52keep64 wrote:

This is why I said that. It must be done under this circumtences.