2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrewf1

Re: 2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

Vaexa wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:33
andrewf1 wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:28
Vaexa wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 14:57
Bottas and/or Hamilton would've likely been penalised for any attempts to push Verstappen towards or even off track, given Masi published a document (document #55, Race Director's Note) explicitly reminding drivers that any attempts to hinder drivers by pushing them off the track or through any other "unusual change of direction" would be reported to the stewards.

I know that's probably unpalatable for the Mercedes fans who think a 2019 Ferrari style boxing in would've somehow kept Verstappen from winning this, but one or both Mercedes drivers being penalised likely would've just made the job a lot easier for Red Bull.
You don't need to put a driver on the grass in order to box him in.
So that argument is invalid.

See this pic?
https://i.ibb.co/RBvkPGS/Maxonboard.png

If Bottas had kept the line, Max would've had nowhere to go.
Or would have had to back off in order to switch to the dirty inside.
By that point Verstappen is still accelerating, and if Bottas jinks to the left he opens up a neat little slot between them for Verstappen to slide into without having to back off. If Hamilton follows him in, they both end up on Verstappen's outside for both this corner and the next.

With one eye to CotA, giving Verstappen the inside line was probably not what Mercedes had planned for the start. Hamilton starting that fast probably scuppered their actual tactic for the start, given he wasn't alongside Verstappen to actually box him in anymore.
Pretty sure Bottas wasn't worried about the slot which may or may not appear between himself and Hamilton for Verstappen to slide in through. That's ridiculous. Maybe it would have been enough of a slot, maybe not.

If Verstappen ended up switching on the dirty inside, he would have had to brake earlier and worry about running across Perez.

What exactly are you arguing? That there was no way Merc could have handlded the run to T1 any better?

The point is Bottas didn't defend the outside line. If he had, Max would have had to slow down.
Instead, we got this gargantuan gap.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

andrewf1 wrote:
Vaexa wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 14:57
Bottas and/or Hamilton would've likely been penalised for any attempts to push Verstappen towards or even off track, given Masi published a document (document #55, Race Director's Note) explicitly reminding drivers that any attempts to hinder drivers by pushing them off the track or through any other "unusual change of direction" would be reported to the stewards.

I know that's probably unpalatable for the Mercedes fans who think a 2019 Ferrari style boxing in would've somehow kept Verstappen from winning this, but one or both Mercedes drivers being penalised likely would've just made the job a lot easier for Red Bull.

See this pic?

He doesn't move to the left, Max wouldn't be able to get down that gap on the left. The issue is that bottas moved to the right to squeeze Hamilton.

WaikeCU

Vaexa wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:40
WaikeCU wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:37
What’s with Max’s ductaped rear wing in quali? Come race day no ductape was seen on the rear wing.

Not sure what parc fermé are, but somehow the issue got solved.
Teams can replace components with identical spec replacements as needed as long as they have a reason to, and if they notify the FIA about it. Rear wings breaking under load is a safety issue, and in any case RB replaced it with an identical spec.
I am bit surprised they were aloud to run a ductaped rear wing in quali, if there was a safety issue at hand.

Nobody wants a rear wing failure and surely not on this high speed track.

I’m quite a bit surprised how much the gap was between the Merc and RB on performance during the race, but not expected a frontrow lockout of the Mercs in quali. I would have expected the other way around. It’s a very surprising and interesting season nonetheless.

Vaexa
Vaexa

andrewf1 wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:44
Vaexa wrote:
andrewf1 wrote:

See this pic?

By that point Verstappen is still accelerating, and if Bottas jinks to the left he opens up a neat little slot between them for Verstappen to slide into without having to back off. If Hamilton follows him in, they both end up on Verstappen's outside for both this corner and the next.

With one eye to CotA, giving Verstappen the inside line was probably not what Mercedes had planned for the start. Hamilton starting that fast probably scuppered their actual tactic for the start, given he wasn't alongside Verstappen to actually box him in anymore.
Pretty sure Bottas wasn't worried about the slot which may or may not appear between himself and Hamilton for Verstappen to slide in through. That's ridiculous. Maybe it would have been enough of a slot, maybe not.

If Verstappen ended up switching on the dirty inside, he would have had to brake earlier and worry about running across Perez.

What exactly are you arguing? That there was no way Merc could have handlded the run to T1 any better?

The point is Bottas didn't defend the outside line. If he had, Max would have had to slow down.

https://i.ibb.co/sjLX7V0/SI202111070640 ... 8d9a45.jpg
In hindsight, they could've. With what they probably planned (ie a Ferrari style boxing in), not really, and by the time Bottas took notice of this Verstappen was already swinging out to come alongside and he would've copped a penalty for blocking him off.

Even if Verstappen had braked earlier, he would've been on the inside line going into turn 1, which again with one eye towards CotA was likely not Merc's desired scenario. The braking performance gap between RB and Merc at the start was so huge that Verstappen likely would've ended up winning those corners anyway even on the inside line.

Vaexa
Vaexa

WaikeCU wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:48
Vaexa wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:40
WaikeCU wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:37
What’s with Max’s ductaped rear wing in quali? Come race day no ductape was seen on the rear wing.

Not sure what parc fermé are, but somehow the issue got solved.
Teams can replace components with identical spec replacements as needed as long as they have a reason to, and if they notify the FIA about it. Rear wings breaking under load is a safety issue, and in any case RB replaced it with an identical spec.
I am bit surprised they were aloud to run a ductaped rear wing in quali, if there was a safety issue at hand.

Nobody wants a rear wing failure and surely not on this high speed track.

I’m quite a bit surprised how much the gap was between the Merc and RB on performance during the race, but not expected a frontrow lockout of the Mercs in quali. I would have expected the other way around. It’s a very surprising and interesting season nonetheless.
If the FIA took note of RBR's rear wing struggles in quali, they were probably satisfied with the tape solution for the demands of quali, just like how they were satisfied with the weird epoxy(?) solution Red Bull used at CotA when their wings developed cracks in practice. I don't think the scrutineers or technical delegate would allow cars to run in an unsafe fashion just to keep the championship fight alive.

basti313
basti313

Vaexa wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:49
andrewf1 wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:44
Vaexa wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/sjLX7V0/SI202111070640 ... 8d9a45.jpg
In hindsight, they could've. With what they probably planned (ie a Ferrari style boxing in), not really, and by the time Bottas took notice of this Verstappen was already swinging out to come alongside and he would've copped a penalty for blocking him off.

Even if Verstappen had braked earlier, he would've been on the inside line going into turn 1, which again with one eye towards CotA was likely not Merc's desired scenario. The braking performance gap between RB and Merc at the start was so huge that Verstappen likely would've ended up winning those corners anyway even on the inside line.
Absolutely. The guys blaming Bottas miss three things:
- He did not know how quick Hams start was and could not see him in the mirror.
- Ver did not brake later just because of the line. He was later on the brake, because Merc had issues into turn 1 all weekend and Ham has a bad history with T1 here. Both Mercs were early on the brake.
- You do not give up the inside line for T1. Never ever. Protect the outside line...what bullshit is this. With Ver on the inside at least one or both Mercs would have ended on the grass. Ver would have squeezed Ham for sure.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Zynerji

Hamilton’s dig on Checo in the post-race show interview...😳😳😳

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 18:04
What dig was that? :?:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 18:35
Zynerji wrote:
For Sergio to be so close to him, it was obvious that the RBR had the superior car... :?

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Just_a_fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
I was wondering that myself, I just read a article from the independent, the headline mentioned he had "a dig" at him but the actual story made no reference to any insult.

Aesop
Aesop

Was it a dig? Or was Ham referring to the Redbull being able to follow so closely for a couple of Laps?

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Aesop wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 18:51
Was it a dig? Or was Ham referring to the Redbull being able to follow so closely for a couple of Laps?
This was my interpretation. But even if he meant it in the other way, it would still be true.

dans79

It wasn't a dig.

Some people just live to take shots at Hamilton, and others are desperate to make it sound like Max has not advantages, so if he does win, it will all be because of him and nothing to do with the car!
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 18:43
Just_a_fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
For Sergio to be so close to him, it was obvious that the RBR had the superior car... :?
Well he's right, isn't he? Sure, not very nicely put but that's racing drivers for you. All of them are walking, talking egos.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 19:00
Zynerji wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 18:43
Just_a_fan wrote:

Well he's right, isn't he? Sure, not very nicely put but that's racing drivers for you. All of them are walking, talking egos.
I mean, yeah, but could have just let the man enjoy his home race podium without being so un-sportsmanlike.