2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

godlameroso wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 22:43
He was so raw and unpolished when he came into F1, he may not have been ready. However, he's been working very hard to redeem himself. Whatever he's doing he needs to keep it up. Often we train for long periods of time and think we are just wasting our time because we don't see the improvement. Sometimes we get even worse because of training and having to re-wire your nervous system. Once you get over that hump though, the change is obvious like the seasons.

Really good progress this season and in a way, these redemption tales make more interesting stories, we see a lot of character growth and development. When Yuki first started every other word was a curse, and he was quite hot-headed. He's turned that around, his English has improved, his driving has improved, he just seems more calm and collected. Still needs some polishing, but he'll get there soon enough, I think he can match Gasly, and it will be important next year.

If we compare him to new drivers of the recent past.

- Norris (he is alot worst than Norris was).
- Vandoorne (he's not as good as Vandoorne's in his first season).
- Albon (He's worse that Albon was in his first season).

He's gonna get a seconds season regardless of what I say. I hate to put stuff into black in white. I prefer odds. IMHO he's a long shot(Slim to none) to get a 3ird season.

It's obvious that he's a repayment for a IOU from RBR to Honda for services rendered. Cause it just doesn't make sense that Albon is on the side lines. Surely ATR would have been a shoe in for 5th with Albon in his place.

godlameroso

I'd say he's better than Vandoorne. Hard to tell, the 2018 McLaren was a s%&# box. The 2019 McLaren was much better. The Alpha Tauri has been rather inconsistent this season. Sometimes the car had top 5 pace and sometimes it was a Q2 car at best.

Plus there are other reasons that explain where Tsunoda is finishing. All with an eye to the future.
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

Yuki has been fast on quite a few tracks that he's driven for the first time. He has natural speed and really only has suffered on damp or wet tracks or where he's overcooked it. His rise to F1 was actually quite fast and in F2 showed he is more capable than other F1 driver's on the grid. His pace in Mexico was quite good. Certainly a better driver than Latifi, Mick, Stroll, Gio, Mazepin. Let's see what he can do in Brazil.

Wouter

ispano6 wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 09:43
Yuki has been fast on quite a few tracks that he's driven for the first time. He has natural speed and really only has suffered on damp or wet tracks or where he's overcooked it. His rise to F1 was actually quite fast and in F2 showed he is more capable than other F1 driver's on the grid. His pace in Mexico was quite good. Certainly a better driver than Latifi, Mick, Stroll, Gio, Mazepin. Let's see what he can do in Brazil.
I agree. Most people forget he is still a rookie and was never before in his life in the USA, everything is new.
He adapted very quickly and his pace in Mexico was very good. Give him some time because he has great natural talent, but everything is going so quick.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Brazilian grand prixview.

After a one year break, F1 is back in Brazil! We’ve got great memories of the 2019 race and we can’t wait to get back on track:

Pierre Gasly:
“My third fourth-place finish of the season and the team now equal fifth on points in the Constructors’ Championship. Mexico really was a very strong weekend, with the whole team working very hard to achieve this result, with only the two Red Bulls and Lewis in front of me. We were immediately on the pace from Friday and then best of the rest behind the four drivers from the top two teams in Qualifying. Also good for the team is the fact Yuki is growing in confidence and he was a great help, giving me a tow in Qualifying. Everyone is now very motivated about getting fifth in the Constructors’ and the result last Sunday is a real motivation to keep pushing hard in Brazil, another track that I think can suit us.

The last time we went to Brazil was in 2019 when I finished second. It was my very first F1 podium and a really big moment for me, especially given the way it happened with the sprint to the line with Lewis from the last corner. I am looking forward to reliving all those very nice memories and it’s going to be cool to go back there having been on the podium before. The track keeps you very busy, it’s anti-clockwise and even the straights are not really straight. You’re always having something to do in the cockpit, while the track itself is very technical and I really enjoy it. It’s not easy for the car and Power Unit there, so it will be a challenge.”

Yuki Tsunoda:
“Even though I didn’t even finish the first lap of the Mexican GP, I feel my performance up until Sunday was one of my best of the season. For the third race in a row I made it to Q3, I had good pace all weekend long and generally felt confident in the car. My first visit to Mexico didn’t disappoint, it was such an amazing experience, the fans are so passionate, and it was so great to see.

Now we are in Sao Paulo, Brazil and it’s another first for me. Apart from the fact I’ve never driven the Brazil track, there will be the added factor of the Sprint Qualifying format, which means I only get one hour of free practice to learn this new track :( before going into Qualifying. But we have done this a couple of times now, I am getting more experienced and confident in my car, so I know what to expect and how best to deal with it. “
The Power of Dreams!

JPower

diffuser wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 00:02
godlameroso wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 22:43
He was so raw and unpolished when he came into F1, he may not have been ready. However, he's been working very hard to redeem himself. Whatever he's doing he needs to keep it up. Often we train for long periods of time and think we are just wasting our time because we don't see the improvement. Sometimes we get even worse because of training and having to re-wire your nervous system. Once you get over that hump though, the change is obvious like the seasons.

Really good progress this season and in a way, these redemption tales make more interesting stories, we see a lot of character growth and development. When Yuki first started every other word was a curse, and he was quite hot-headed. He's turned that around, his English has improved, his driving has improved, he just seems more calm and collected. Still needs some polishing, but he'll get there soon enough, I think he can match Gasly, and it will be important next year.

If we compare him to new drivers of the recent past.

- Norris (he is alot worst than Norris was).
- Vandoorne (he's not as good as Vandoorne's in his first season).
- Albon (He's worse that Albon was in his first season).

He's gonna get a seconds season regardless of what I say. I hate to put stuff into black in white. I prefer odds. IMHO he's a long shot(Slim to none) to get a 3ird season.

It's obvious that he's a repayment for a IOU from RBR to Honda for services rendered. Cause it just doesn't make sense that Albon is on the side lines. Surely ATR would have been a shoe in for 5th with Albon in his place.
He was far less experienced in open wheel cars on his F1 debut than any of those guys. I think he'll improve immensely next year.

Wouter

JPower wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 19:10
He was far less experienced in open wheel cars on his F1 debut than any of those guys. I think he'll improve immensely next year.
I think so too. He is a very fast learner.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

bigblue

https://www.scuderiaalphatauri.com/en/2021-qatar-gp/
Tonight’s race has been a difficult one as both cars struggled with pace and tyre degradation. Yuki’s first stint was compromised when a visor tear off became stuck on the rear wing. This caused a loss of load and balance, necessitating the first stop being brought forward so it could be removed, which dropped him further back than ideal. With Pierre we were struggling with balance, as he had high front left tyre wear, meaning he could not follow the cars ahead. So again, we were forced to bring the first stop forward and adapt the strategy to allow tyre wear to be managed. The net result of these issues impacted track positions and we did not have sufficient pace to recover on this occasion. [...]

Alexf1

Would it be possible that AT was running an experimental higher ICE mode last weekend in free practice and qualifying but ran safe mode in the race?

diffuser

Alexf1 wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 20:53
Would it be possible that AT was running an experimental higher ICE mode last weekend in free practice and qualifying but ran safe mode in the race?
It's possible but to me it was tire wear.

Zynerji

godlameroso wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 03:46
I'd say he's better than Vandoorne. Hard to tell, the 2018 McLaren was a s%&# box. The 2019 McLaren was much better. The Alpha Tauri has been rather inconsistent this season. Sometimes the car had top 5 pace and sometimes it was a Q2 car at best.

Plus there are other reasons that explain where Tsunoda is finishing. All with an eye to the future.
Much like Williams from a few years ago, it's all in their car setup. Their general "philosophy" seems to work a treat sometimes, but they don't seem to have any alternate setups of the same balance, but specialized in each tuning device. IE: a front corner damper biased setup that the reactions are parametric based off the damper settings. Maybe have one based around toe and camber...

That's how I approached my sim racing as I was the setup guy, and my driver won several races and 2 championships.

velizare

Alexf1 wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 20:53
no. if there were something with the engine, they'd tell it post race, and they'd swap it prior next race.

Wouter

It’s the first Saudi Arabian GP race week in F1 history…

Pierre:
Judging from what I saw on the simulator, Saudi will be extremely quick, with a large number of very high-speed corners, some of them blind. I think it’s going to be very complicated from a driving point of view and there will be the extra challenge of the track surface being completely new. No cars have ever raced on it, there will be no rubber down and probably some oil will still be coming out of the tarmac, which is what normally happens at a new circuit. So, we are looking at a street circuit with quite low grip, which is a new challenge as no one has any data from the track. But for our part, we showed in Qatar that we can adapt fairly quickly to a new situation, running near the front immediately from the Friday. However, we will have to work hard to be quick over a single lap and also a long distance, to find the right compromise for both Saturday and Sunday. Another thing that is clear from the simulator is that the speeds are very high, but the walls are very close, so it should be impressive from the cockpit and a nice challenge, which we must prepare as well as possible for.”

Yuki :
I spent some time in the simulator learning the new Saudi track. It’s really fast and that means confidence in the car will be an important factor, because the run-off areas are not so big. It will be important for me to do a good job of building up speed during the free practice sessions. At least I am in the same situation as the other drivers, as this circuit will be completely new to everyone, just like Qatar. “
https://www.scuderiaalphatauri.com/en/2 ... di_Preview
The Power of Dreams!