2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manfer

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

It was surprising how good they were today. Bang on strategy, pitstops & tire management. If they keep improving their operations this way, a faster car will make them the favourites next year.

tpe
tpe

There was no pressure though!
McLaren gone backwards, Ferrari the same, but in a lesser extent, if you compare both teams with RB and Merc just a few races ago.
Obviously they don't care ttoo much for this season.
Am I happy with the pistops? Yes
Am I happy with the strategy? Not sure, because the others were not very close.

As for the car, let's wait and see. What we saw today was terrifying.

JPower

tpe wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 21:39
There was no pressure though!
McLaren gone backwards, Ferrari the same, but in a lesser extent, if you compare both teams with RB and Merc just a few races ago.
Obviously they don't care ttoo much for this season.
Am I happy with the pistops? Yes
Am I happy with the strategy? Not sure, because the others were not very close.

As for the car, let's wait and see. What we saw today was terrifying.
There was "no pressure" because the team did their jobs correctly. I didn't see anything terrifying today.

Schippke

A quiet race for the Reds today... it is what they needed. Was somewhat surprising to see them going to the Mediums again for both cars second stint, but in the end it was definitely the right move for 2 stops with the pace advantage they had over the midfield. Only team that seemed to make the 1-stop work was Alpine...

Barring any massive issues, Ferrari is well on-track for 3rd in the standings it would seem, which doesn't matter how you cut it, is a great recovery from 2020. Big help with that has come from Sainz, being quite consistent and being their to pick-up points... and being very close to Charles pace-wise in more recent times.

As others have said, you'd argue Ferrari has the strongest overall driver line-up... if they've got a decent machine for 2022, we might be causing some headaches for Mercedes & Red Bull in the Constructors Championship!

ferrarifire

Ferrari is planning to use new simulator for rest of the season
“We are commissioning the simulator / finalizing the setup, after comparing data with the old one. Our intention is to use it officially from now until the end of the season for GP preparation so that it can be fully homologated and ready for next season” – Mattia Binotto

AeroDynamic

Congrats on Ferrari ‘s resurgence, so great to see them return toward the front. Red Bull is a quality team but as a brand I don’t care for an energy drink brand being the face of F1. I hope Audi or Porsche buy them. And I look forward to Ferrari being a factor again in the championship!

LM10

Andreas Seidl on the Ferrari PU (new hybrid system): "The Ferraris can boost from the beginning to the end of the straight. You saw it in the sprint. Despite DRS, Perez didn't even come close to Sainz on the home straight."

Binotto promises the Tifosi: "We are working tirelessly on the power unit for 2022. Already at the start of the season, many components will be new. Then we have to see how we proceed until September."

Via tami. on twitter.

Side note: For those who don't know, what Binotto means with September is the second deadline in terms of PU component freezing. 1st of March next year ICE, TC, MGU-H, fuel and engine oil will be homologated and 1st of September MGU-K, ES and CE.

wowgr8

RE that PU argument on the last page, junpingfish is right. I think the engine will be the most important factor because the aero regs are very tight + there's the budget cap. That's what I'm worried about the most, Mercedes will not be asleep and Ferrari will need to be doubling their efforts because I've no doubt Mercedes will find another 30hp on top of other improvements, we need to find more than 40hp ourselves.

If the engine is good and the car wins a few races next season will be a big win in my eyes. Expecting a championship challenge is a bit too optimistic imo, Binotto has said time and time again, it will take time, my hope for next season is a good competitive engine within 5hp of Mercedes

codetower

wowgr8 wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 20:34
RE that PU argument on the last page, junpingfish is right. I think the engine will be the most important factor because the aero regs are very tight + there's the budget cap. That's what I'm worried about the most, Mercedes will not be asleep and Ferrari will need to be doubling their efforts because I've no doubt Mercedes will find another 30hp on top of other improvements, we need to find more than 40hp ourselves.

If the engine is good and the car wins a few races next season will be a big win in my eyes. Expecting a championship challenge is a bit too optimistic imo, Binotto has said time and time again, it will take time, my hope for next season is a good competitive engine within 5hp of Mercedes
One other thing to consider as well is that everyone is going in with a brand new chassis, new aero, wheels etc. The W12 and the RB16B are now suited verrry directly to Hamilton and Verstappen. There may be some struggles for them in the new cars. I think the field could be more even that we think.

One thing that I do like about this leadership, they are going all in for next year. They will be using the new simulator from here on out, they are testing new brakes, new hybrid... Seems like everything they are doing is for 2022 and beyond. Fortunately it's also benefitting the team this year as a result.

LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 20:34

Binotto told a couple of years ago that it will take time, not recently. The goal is to fight for the title in 2022, that’s absolutely clear.
What’s optimistic about expecting a championship when Ferrari is going flat out and preparing to have the best possible start to the new era?

Aero is still the most important factor in F1. Look at the monstrous gaps between the teams with the same engine. Even with several parts they share despite the engine they are many tenths behind the works team.
No matter the tightness of the aero regs next year, we will still have better and worse cars.

Also, I don’t know how you think that Mercedes is going to find 30 hp on top of what they have now. They have less than 4 months left for that task. Good luck.

JPBD1990

I agree it’s 100% clear the time Binotto has been referring to, has been used. They’ve been laying the ground work for 2022 since AT LEAST the engine debacle at the beginning of last year. They simply had no need to invest 100% in the 2020 or 2021 campaigns. We all know this, of course Ferrari knows this too.

Next year is go time. The engine will be frozen - so whatever is in development right now, is it. New sim should help with aero and correlation. If they start strong, as with all the big changes in the past, it will carry them through strongly until the next big change in 2025-26.

Let’s hope it goes well!

jumpingfish

Raizen, Shell to supply second-generation ethanol to Ferrari F-1 team (for 2022)
The second-generation ethanol to be used by Ferrari is made of sugarcane bagasse, a byproduct that used to be thrown away. Second-generation ethanol is already produced in a Raizen unit in the Sao Paulo state countryside and raises ethanol productivity by 50% without adding planted area, according to Raizen.
The Raizen agreement may give Ferrari an advantage in the fuel blend, as the other teams will most probably use first- generation ethanol in the first blend with 10% of renewable fuel. "We will not supply second-generation ethanol to the other teams", said Shell Mobility vice president István Kapitány in an interview to Reuters.

Kapitány said Shell thinks the fuel can increase Ferrari team's competitiveness. After F-1 cars use second-generation ethanol, it will be launched to general consumers, the executive added, as Shell has already done with fuels and lubricants initially tested on the race track. Ferrari, Shell and Raizen did not disclose financial terms of the partnership.
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy ... 021-11-14/

LM10

jumpingfish wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 12:07
Raizen, Shell to supply second-generation ethanol to Ferrari F-1 team (for 2022)
The second-generation ethanol to be used by Ferrari is made of sugarcane bagasse, a byproduct that used to be thrown away. Second-generation ethanol is already produced in a Raizen unit in the Sao Paulo state countryside and raises ethanol productivity by 50% without adding planted area, according to Raizen.
The Raizen agreement may give Ferrari an advantage in the fuel blend, as the other teams will most probably use first- generation ethanol in the first blend with 10% of renewable fuel. "We will not supply second-generation ethanol to the other teams", said Shell Mobility vice president István Kapitány in an interview to Reuters.

Kapitány said Shell thinks the fuel can increase Ferrari team's competitiveness. After F-1 cars use second-generation ethanol, it will be launched to general consumers, the executive added, as Shell has already done with fuels and lubricants initially tested on the race track. Ferrari, Shell and Raizen did not disclose financial terms of the partnership.
Doesn't this mean that Ferrari will have their ICE optimized for this second-generation ethanol and thus have a kind of a long-lasting advantage considering the homologation?

jumpingfish

LM10 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:14
jumpingfish wrote:

Doesn't this mean that Ferrari will have their ICE optimized for this second-generation ethanol and thus have a kind of a long-lasting advantage considering the homologation?
I honestly don't know the chemical difference between these generations of fuel, from what I have read now, it seems that the first generation is made from traditional agricultural crops, and the second from the waste products of these crops, woodworking production (oilcake, squeeze, biomass).

codetower

jumpingfish wrote:

I wonder where the performance increase (or competitive advantage) would come from. It mentions it being better for the environment, cleaner, etc. but not anything regarding performance other than speculation regarding a competitive advantage. Does it burn hotter, more efficiently? Does it ignite faster? This will be interesting.