MG-H at home

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
FelixAustria

MG-H at home

Recently, when lighting up my wood-burning fireplace, I was wondering if there is a possibility to make use of the exhaust fumes by installing an MG-H (or similar gas turbine) in the chimney of my house.
It may sound odd, but if it works in an F1 car, why not elsewhere?

So, would that be possible, what does it take to make it happen and what could be a likely yield in terms of energy (kWp and/or kWh), implying an output of 6.4 kW of the fireplace?

As you might have guessed, I am not an engineer…

Jolle

Re: MG-H at home

FelixAustria wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 16:21
Recently, when lighting up my wood-burning fireplace, I was wondering if there is a possibility to make use of the exhaust fumes by installing an MG-H (or similar gas turbine) in the chimney of my house.
It may sound odd, but if it works in an F1 car, why not elsewhere?

So, would that be possible, what does it take to make it happen and what could be a likely yield in terms of energy (kWp and/or kWh), implying an output of 6.4 kW of the fireplace?

As you might have guessed, I am not an engineer…
There might be some heat coming from the fireplace,but not a lot of pressure and/or flow. A propellor won't recover that much energy I'm afraid.

Of course, a heat exchanger could work, where you extract the last bit of heat out of the pipes leading up to your roof (and could either store it in a boiler or run it straight to something like a hot-tub)

Big Tea

You could route pipes inside the flu and harvest hot water from it. This would save immersion heating, or possibly drive a radiator in an outside room (Full of useless ideas, aren't I :mrgreen: )

Heath Robinson
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Rodak

Of course this is nothing new. My house in Napier NZ, built in 1930, had a wetback hot water heater setup in one of the fireplaces.