2021 Qatar Grand Prix - Losail, Nov 19-21

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43

Re: 2021 Qatar Grand Prix - Losail, Nov 19-21

The only 2 circuits Merc really faltered at in the second half are Zandvoort and COTA.

In Zandvoort, they explained that their car really struggled with the banking.

Whereas, in Austin, the bumps of the circuit forced setup compromises. Merc have to run their suspension very stiff.

Bill

20 hp cant give you extra 20km/h worth of top speed you will need at more like 200hp merc top speed is unexplaineable but they still have realiability issues and ers that run out ealier on straight. brazil being a short track helped them .mclaren with same pu have at time being quicker than them lewis coudnt depose lando in russia

godlameroso

SiLo wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 03:31
godlameroso wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 20:05
At corner speeds above 140kmh the RB16B is untouchable. Losail has many such proper corners, you gain so much on not understeering on entry because it lets you use less steering lock on exit, this leads to less wheelspin and more rear tire preservation. The downforce advantage on the RBR means the rear axle isn't going to wear much faster than the front. Furthermore it looks like the hardest tires will be on offer. From what I can see the medium C2 can probably do 20 laps with a decrease in appreciable performance around lap 16. The hard can likely go close to half race distance but won't be nice to drive on, maybe a little too hard.

It's likely to be another Barcelona type scenario, if Verstappen wants to try the one stop he should use the hard tire, because the medium just won't make it. At 57 laps, 17, 20, 20 will be the standard strategy as the undercut is effective if timed properly.
Can you tell me where you get your tyre info from please?

Not sure where you got the idea that RB are faster in corners over 140kph, but so far I haven’t seen anything that supports that argument. In fact at high downforce high speed tracks such as Hungary, Barcelona, Portimao and Turkey, Mercedes looked superior. The only outlier was Zandvoort, which has a higher amount of slow corners.

Lo sail looks very much like a good track for Mercedes.
Mexico.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

zibby43 wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 09:13
The only 2 circuits Merc really faltered at in the second half are Zandvoort and COTA.

Whereas, in Austin, the bumps of the circuit forced setup compromises. Merc have to run their suspension very stiff.
So it was the bumps in France?
Saishū kōnā

SiLo

godlameroso wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 13:08
SiLo wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
At corner speeds above 140kmh the RB16B is untouchable. Losail has many such proper corners, you gain so much on not understeering on entry because it lets you use less steering lock on exit, this leads to less wheelspin and more rear tire preservation. The downforce advantage on the RBR means the rear axle isn't going to wear much faster than the front. Furthermore it looks like the hardest tires will be on offer. From what I can see the medium C2 can probably do 20 laps with a decrease in appreciable performance around lap 16. The hard can likely go close to half race distance but won't be nice to drive on, maybe a little too hard.

It's likely to be another Barcelona type scenario, if Verstappen wants to try the one stop he should use the hard tire, because the medium just won't make it. At 57 laps, 17, 20, 20 will be the standard strategy as the undercut is effective if timed properly.

Not sure where you got the idea that RB are faster in corners over 140kph, but so far I haven’t seen anything that supports that argument. In fact at high downforce high speed tracks such as Hungary, Barcelona, Portimao and Turkey, Mercedes looked superior. The only outlier was Zandvoort, which has a higher amount of slow corners.

Mexico.
Mexico what? You can't use tyre life from an entirely different circuit and conditions to predict it for a new track that has never been raced on before surely?
Felipe Baby!

Bill_Kar

godlameroso wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 13:09
zibby43 wrote:

Note that I don't agree necessarily, but he said in the second half of the season. That is, after the updates of Mercedes and the tyres' construction change in GB.

djones

Bill wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 10:02
20 hp cant give you extra 20km/h worth of top speed you will need at more like 200hp merc top speed is unexplaineable but they still have realiability issues and ers that run out ealier on straight. brazil being a short track helped them .mclaren with same pu have at time being quicker than them lewis coudnt depose lando in russia
Why do people keep saying it is somehow magical they had a 20 kph advantage (it wasn't even that when you look at the full data in clean air).

1. They had a fresh engine
2. That fresh engine could be turned up as only has to do 4 races
3. They were running less downforce than Redbull
4. They had a great setup that allowed for good traction in early acceleration zones

It really is that simple.

zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Was France after the summer break?

I’d hardly call that race a falter, either.

SiLo

zibby43 wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 16:38
godlameroso wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Was France after the summer break?

I’d hardly call that race a falter, either.
I'd say either team could have won that race, it was all strategy.
Felipe Baby!

jumpingfish

SiLo

Only one corner lower than 4th gear! That's an incredibly fast track.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

SiLo wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 16:51
Only one corner lower than 4th gear! That's an incredibly fast track.
yep, and a lot of the cornering speeds are drastically different than the video game laps we have seen so far.
197 104 103 7

AeroDynamic

Albon spoke about his experience driving it on the sim. He said it’s very hard to know where you are because the track is so flat, so open, there’s few markers to judge where the track ends and begins basically. So it’s gonna be a challenge to know if you’re hitting the apex’s where you want and the lines. Practice is paramount.

I think it probably will come to red bull. They’re still the best car around corners, and the straight isn’t all that long, and there’s only one.

siskue2005

SiLo wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

I am also interested in knowing where those claims are coming from.

Anything from a video game is not good or not true

siskue2005

godlameroso wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 17:51
siskue2005 wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 17:10
SiLo wrote:

I am also interested in knowing where those claims are coming from.

Anything from a video game is not good or not true
Telemetry I have posted it several times already, you should have just said I'm a bad person to begin with.
I might have missed the telemetry, please post it again.
Is it from a past f1 race?