Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
El Scorchio

Re: Mercedes W12

That's very in depth for a first ever post on the forum!

F1Krof

NytroNL wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 16:50
Are we sure its only breaking? Found this picture of quali lap analysis. The yellow arrow is the point of reference next to the 'teamview logo'. Seems to me that on the main straight (1st picture) the steering wheel is in a different position the from the exit of turn 3 (picture 3).....

https://ibb.co/8s8dvnc
Squatting.
Wroom wroom

Tvetovnato

DAS was never used during an actual hotlap last year, only during the warmup laps. And it would be quite extraordinary if some casual viewers on television would be the ones exposing a secret DAS, while the FIA scrutineerings of the car would not show anything.. after all, if they can find a 0.2mm anomaly between the rear wing planes, I’m sure that a DAS would be a bit easier to find…

Marty_Y

Tvetovnato wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 21:08
DAS was never used during an actual hotlap last year, only during the warmup laps. And it would be quite extraordinary if some casual viewers on television would be the ones exposing a secret DAS, while the FIA scrutineerings of the car would not show anything.. after all, if they can find a 0.2mm anomaly between the rear wing planes, I’m sure that a DAS would be a bit easier to find…
I think the current accusation is that the steering wheel is being used to control the rear suspension squat, someone posted a link in the team thread about it.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/99086/co ... razil.html

As Zibby pointed out it's not a very reliable source.

cplchanb

Marty_Y wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 21:19
Tvetovnato wrote:
I think the current accusation is that the steering wheel is being used to control the rear suspension squat, someone posted a link in the team thread about it.

I find that the GP blog in general is highly biased towards RB and Max. Its no surprise that they have these sensationalist articles on every conspiracy theory against merc.

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:58
Amazing work. I wonder which of the Dutch boys it is. Ending your username with NL is a bit of a give away. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

cplchanb wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 23:59
Marty_Y wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 21:19
Tvetovnato wrote:

I find that the GP blog in general is highly biased towards RB and Max. Its no surprise that they have these sensationalist articles on every conspiracy theory against merc.
Dutch website. No brainer.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123

NytroNL wrote:
Are we sure its only breaking? Found this picture of quali lap analysis. The yellow arrow is the point of reference next to the 'teamview logo'. Seems to me that on the main straight (1st picture) the steering wheel is in a different position the from the exit of turn 3 (picture 3).....

How trustworthy of a method is that? The overlay you have done isn't even identical, which isn't all that difficult of a thing to do.

Like Tvetovnato already said, the scrutineering guys could spot a 0,2mm discrepancy. They'll definitely be able to spot a moving steering wheel. And even if it did actually move, I'm not sure if that is even illegal to begin with, unless this was changed for the 2021 season, there is nothing in the rulebook that states that the wheel can only rotate/move around a single axis.

What we have here is simply a sum of different factors;
1. The drivers are quite strong, and are able to exert quite an amount of force on the steering wheel.
2. Materials are always subject to a certain amount of flexibility
2b. This includes the T-cam, for example
3. Due to compression, the way the images are handled and distributed etc. graphical anomalies can occur(And before you start disputing this, they lost a certain important piece of T-cam footage for 48hrs).

And now for a little rant because this really grinds my gears, rustles my jimmies etc. etc.(mods feel free to remove this if desired); It's just outright depressing to see the constant accusations of "crying" at anything Mercedes and Lewis does, but now that they tore the whole field a new one are the ones who accuse of "crying" grasping at straws in a desperate attempt to devaluate Mercedes' and Lewis' performance. It's just straight up annoying and I actually feel ashamed to share the same nationality as most of these people.
/end rant
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RZS10

NytroNL wrote:

I don't see what the basis for the horizontal lines is supposed to be and i really don't understand the need for any point of reference or the additional red lines towards the nose as this is a fixed camera, the only line needed is one which would mark the edge of the steering wheel at a point where it's straight.

Here's the entire lap with such a (dotted) line https://streamja.com/30Jvz ... no clue if there's any way to embed this.

e30ernest

NytroNL wrote:

The lines don't even line up so I don't think this shows anything:

I tried to overlay the 4th, but then the lines just turn into a foggy bar. :mrgreen:

holeindalip

What was the actual ruling on das? I know they couldn’t carry it over for ‘21 but what changed in the regs that said it couldn’t be used? Maybe they found a way to use das without the driver manipulating it?

zibby43

W12 under the skin . . .

Floor detail

Bargeboards

Cooling solutions for the weekend

(Cockpit openings at maximum)

(Engine cover rear openings fairly modest)

- via Motorsport.com

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 05:38
Floor detail
So that's an update since sochi as can be seen by the Albert Fabrega tweet/photo.

I'm not sure about the floor though I can't tell if its updated or not. If it is, it's something I'm missing or it's something very subtle!

197 104 103 7

NytroNL

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:58
Thank you! I decided to register, after few years of enjoying the forum. However, my technical skills are way below the average around here. :lol:

pursue_one's

flow diverter