how to design an engine

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
echedey

how to design an engine

Good everyone, I would like to know how to design and start designing an engine as I am starting to take my first steps, for now I am doing equations of kinematics and thermodynamics and I would like to know first where to start designing by thermodynamics or by kinematics and within the concepts of kinematics and thermodynamics what aspects I have to study, then leaving aside these two aspects that I have to study and of what I have to study, what aspects I have to look at.

Greg Locock

Re: how to design an engine

You probably want to use the product development V https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Model
You then need to buy JB Heywood " Internal combustion engine fundamentals" and work through that, filling in any details you don't know with other textbooks.

AngusF1

Design and Simulation of Four Stroke Engines by Gordon Blair is another good one. He also wrote a two stroke equivalent.

I looked into doing something similar a few years ago but never got around to it. From my reading at the time it seemed like a small capacity single cylinder two stroke would be the easiest and cheapest place to start.

coaster

Allen Millyard refers often to Phil Irvings book 'Tuning for speed'.
He presses up his own roller cranks and balances also, great to watch on youtube.

etusch

I want to ask a question and I hope it is not bad to ask it in this topic.

ROTAX 850 E-TEC engine uses roller bearing at connecting rods both side, piston and crank. And crank also has bearing, 2 bearing at power output side. I wonder why road car engines doesn't use bearings in these areas?

Tommy Cookers

etusch wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 08:53
I want to ask a question and I hope it is not bad to ask it in this topic.
ROTAX 850 E-TEC engine uses roller bearing at connecting rods both side, piston and crank. And crank also has bearing, 2 bearing at power output side. I wonder why road car engines doesn't use bearings in these areas?
road cars aren't 2 strokes
2 strokes have minimal oiling (because the oil is lost not recirculated)
so 2 strokes have rolling-element bearings not plain bearings
and usually had multi-piece crankshafts so the crankshaft and rods are built-up around one-piece RE bearings
(as the first Kawasaki Suzuki Yamaha 4 strokes bikes kept 2 stroke-style crankshafts due to their maker's expertise)

and ...
plain bearings had poor load capacity so were rather large and gave greater friction
but by c.WW2 came steel-backed 'shell' bearings having good load capacity and less friction
engines became smaller and lighter - or enlarged within the existing dimensions eg original Ferrari 2 litre to 4.4 litre

so today designs based on plain bearings are better and of course cheaper than designs based on RE bearings
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 15 Apr 2023, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

putting oiling a side, my main onjective by asking, if it has no reliability issue with road car engines size and power and if it improves crank motion ...

Greg Locock

The reason you only use roller bearings where you have to is that pressed together crankshafts are very hard to do well. Not impossible, obviously, but much more difficult than cast or forged cranks.

vorticism

Greg Locock wrote:
16 Apr 2023, 00:49
...pressed together crankshafts are very hard to do well. Not impossible, obviously, but much more difficult than cast or forged cranks.
𓄀

coaster

Personally if I were echeday I would buy a CBR/ZXR/GSXR 600cc motor and just concentrate on designing an actual race car.

etusch

These guys didn't do good job generally but at least they tried bearing on crankshaft :D