More Moderators Please

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
AeroDynamic

Re: More Moderators Please

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 15:34
I think it's time for a decision about the fundamental nature of the site.

Either the site is everything F1 or it's just a technical site. So, either we have threads for everything or we just have threads about specific cars and threads about general technical issues (engines, aero, suspension, etc.).

Currently we have race threads that become slanging matches, and we have other threads that likewise descend in to school yard silliness. These take up mod time.

Perhaps moderation should be limited to just preventing personal attacks and illegal content. Let people argue if they wish, any personal attacks get a warning followed by exclusion for repeat offenders. And that's it.

Or we drop the fan threads - the race threads are particularly rife but also the team threads can be bad too - and just have strictly moderated technical threads where OT / fan stuff is just deleted and repeat offenders excluded from the site.

One might also suggest a two-zone site. One zone is strictly moderated technical threads, the other zone a laissez-faire one where only personal/illegal content is moderated. Don't go in to either zone if you don't like the simple rules that apply therein.

Currently we have too much fan silliness leading to arguably inconsistent moderation (because it's difficult to be consistent when the rules about what is allowed are vague). And that stokes frustration in many of us.

So perhaps we need to decide what type of site we want. And with the greatest respect to Steven, this is the users' decision rather than Steven's or the mods' - without users there is no forum.
It should be about promoting technical knowledge and discussion but it is also an F1 site. So it should have a section dedicated to F1 with broad open ranges of discussion being allowed. with little input moderation outside of extreme personal squabbles.

Just keep one section under stricter moderation of what the content is (technical area) and race/driver/team thread should be under an all F1 section with a lot less control over discussion.
This gives the moderators a break, we don’t need more mods, we need less restriction. Easy.

I don’t think that we should drop anything, but just move with the times. Let’s not let it get to SM level mud slinging but allow people to express what they think and feel more.it might actually help people grow when they get fact checked with technically minded answers.

So I advocate for two zone.

The moderation is consistent enough, the reason why it appears that it isn’t, is because one particular camp is more consistently complaining and running to the mods to remove or control things. Since mods don’t have all god damn day to hold the forum members hands and tailor all the content evenly, they just address what’s reported. That’s why the mods appear less consistent at times.

We should atleast do a trial, like sprint races, with the two zone option, let things run more freely.

What else is the ignore button for? If people want to dwell on technical stuff only, don’t go to the other zone. Let other members who want to challenge eachother outside of technical, go at it and let em handle they wax.

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:

Either the site is everything F1 or it's just a technical site. So, either we have threads for everything or we just have threads about specific cars and threads about general technical issues (engines, aero, suspension, etc.).

Currently we have race threads that become slanging matches, and we have other threads that likewise descend in to school yard silliness. These take up mod time.

Perhaps moderation should be limited to just preventing personal attacks and illegal content. Let people argue if they wish, any personal attacks get a warning followed by exclusion for repeat offenders. And that's it.

Or we drop the fan threads - the race threads are particularly rife but also the team threads can be bad too - and just have strictly moderated technical threads where OT / fan stuff is just deleted and repeat offenders excluded from the site.

One might also suggest a two-zone site. One zone is strictly moderated technical threads, the other zone a laissez-faire one where only personal/illegal content is moderated. Don't go in to either zone if you don't like the simple rules that apply therein.

Currently we have too much fan silliness leading to arguably inconsistent moderation (because it's difficult to be consistent when the rules about what is allowed are vague). And that stokes frustration in many of us.

So perhaps we need to decide what type of site we want. And with the greatest respect to Steven, this is the users' decision rather than Steven's or the mods' - without users there is no forum.
Thank you JaF, that put a lot of meat onto the bones of my suggestion for an “F1 Speculative Bollocks” forum!! 👍👍👍
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:

[ ........ ]
So perhaps we need to decide what type of site we want. And with the greatest respect to Steven,
this is the users' decision rather than Steven's or the mods' - without users there is no forum.
Do I understand that correctly that the owner is not allowed to determine which forum he has on his own website?
You think the users should decide what kind of forum can be used here?!
"Either the site is everything F1 or it's just a technical site." ??
A bit of an upside-down world, don't you think?
You can choose to participate in discussions here in this forum in:

Formula One
-- General chat
-- F1 Car Hardware & Development
-- Aerodynamics, chassis and tires
-- Engine, transmission and controls

Automotive
-- Other racing series
-- Automotive news and technology
-- Engineering projects

General
-- Off topic chat
-- Site announcements & support

In this way there is a forum for every member that he likes to read or post something.
Since when do forum members decide which forums are on a site? Again: I think that's the world upside down!
Be happy that you can choose which forum you want to participate in here instead of just a technical
or only general or ..... forum.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 21:56
Just_a_fan wrote:

[ ........ ]
So perhaps we need to decide what type of site we want. And with the greatest respect to Steven,
this is the users' decision rather than Steven's or the mods' - without users there is no forum.
Do I understand that correctly that the owner is not allowed to determine which forum he has on his own website?
It's simple - if the users of the forum don't like it they will leave. If they leave, page hits will drop and with that will be a drop in advertising revenue (assuming such an income exists and is worth worrying about).

So whilst it's Steven's site, it's the users' forum. No users, no forum.

If we have limited moderator resources, we either accept strict rules everywhere with exclusion for repeat offenders, or we allow more leeway in less important areas. If the site is a technical one, then the non-technical areas such as race threads should be less moderated. The mods can then concentrate on the important issues, not the silly stuff that currently happens in some threads.

Alternatively, we have strict moderation everywhere. That will need more mods or the mods we have got will just have to ban people after a couple of strikes.

Something needs to be done because in the last 12 months or so, the forum has become increasingly annoying to use because some argue and then complain to the mods / demand thread closures if they don't like the way things are going.

If someone wants to argue, they shouldn't be allowed to demand mod intervention on their behalf because they're losing the argument.

I would like to see voting restricted only to the technical threads, or even dropped altogether. I don't really see the benefit of voting with the current forum user base.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AeroDynamic

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 22:39
Wouter wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

[ ........ ]
It's simple - if the users of the forum don't like it they will leave. If they leave, page hits will drop and with that will be a drop in advertising revenue (assuming such an income exists and is worth worrying about).

If we have limited moderator resources, we either accept strict rules everywhere with exclusion for repeat offenders, or we allow more leeway in less important areas. If the site is a technical one, then the non-technical areas such as race threads should be less moderated. The mods can then concentrate on the important issues, not the silly stuff that currently happens in some threads.

Alternatively, we have strict moderation everywhere. That will need more mods or the mods we have got will just have to ban people after a couple of strikes.

Something needs to be done because in the last 12 months or so, the forum has become increasingly annoying to use because some argue and then complain to the mods / demand thread closures if they don't like the way things are going.

If someone wants to argue, they shouldn't be allowed to demand mod intervention on their behalf because they're losing the argument.

I would like to see voting restricted only to the technical threads, or even dropped altogether. I don't really see the benefit of voting with the current forum user base.
I’m with just a fan…

This is a user led discussion about the direction of the forum, the owner doesn’t need to listen to it he can do whatever he/she likes, it is their forum. But that’s not the point of this discussion so don’t use this thread as an exercise of becoming the ‘teachers pet’ or admins rights warrior.

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:

It's simple - if the users of the forum don't like it they will leave.
If they leave, page hits will drop and with that will be a drop in advertising revenue (assuming such an income exists and is worth worrying about).

To my knowledge this forum does not run on advertisements, but donations are appreciated.

Donate

If you simply want to show your appreciation to f1technical.net, without actively participating, you can also choose to donate through paypal. Image
Any donation, no matter how small is greatly appreciated. You will accordingly be assigned the contributor badge on our forum.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 12:42
Just_a_fan wrote:

If they leave, page hits will drop and with that will be a drop in advertising revenue (assuming such an income exists and is worth worrying about).

To my knowledge this forum does not run on advertisements, but donations are appreciated.

Donate

If you simply want to show your appreciation to f1technical.net, without actively participating, you can also choose to donate through paypal. https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but02.gif
Any donation, no matter how small is greatly appreciated. You will accordingly be assigned the contributor badge on our forum.
Have a look at this page then:
https://www.f1technical.net/pr/advertise.php

Turn off any ad blockers and you'll see ads on the site - there's an Amazon Prime one showing here at the moment, for example.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dave kumar

Wouter wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
I think it's time for a decision about the fundamental nature of the site...
"Either the site is everything F1 or it's just a technical site." ??
A bit of an upside-down world, don't you think?...
Just to echo the views of some of the other contributors. It is not 'upside-down' to have a discussion on what sort of site you'd like F1Technical to be. As long as everyone understands it is just a discussion and not a demand. It is Steven's site and he makes the decisions but I for one, think that it is a healthy thing to be able discuss.
Formerly known as senna-toleman

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 12:51
Wouter wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 12:42
Just_a_fan wrote:

Donate

If you simply want to show your appreciation to f1technical.net, without actively participating, you can also choose to donate through paypal. https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but02.gif
Have a look at this page then:
https://www.f1technical.net/pr/advertise.php

Turn off any ad blockers and you'll see ads on the site - there's an Amazon Prime one showing here at the moment, for example.
I know that page. I don't use an ad blocker and I don't see any advertising on this forum.
Only on the mainpage is a little advertising from Amazon Prime video. Can't find anything else on other sites.
The Power of Dreams!

TimW

Wouter wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 13:11

I know that page. I don't use an ad blocker and I don't see any advertising on this forum.
Only on the mainpage is a little advertising from Amazon Prime video. Can't find anything else on other sites.
Same for me.

dans79

The adds on the site are done very tastefully!

197 104 103 7

hollus

I get nothing like that and have never seen anything like that in this site, for me too it is the very rare, small, out of the way ad here and there. A third of the screen?! Not having ads swamp anyone has been a design consideration here in the past, IIRC.
Can you share your browser type and similar info?
Rivals, not enemies.

dans79

hollus wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 19:04
A third of the screen?
No, it's not a 3rd of the screen, it depends on the add, some are bigger and some are smaller. it's at the bottom of every thread right below the quick reply section.

hollus wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 19:04
Can you share your browser type and similar info?
windows 10, chrome Version 96.0.4664.45

Also keep in mind im on the other side of the atlantic from you, so the ads will be completely different! To be clear I have absolutely no problem with ads, or tracking etc.
Last edited by dans79 on 01 Dec 2021, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

hollus

Thanks!
Rivals, not enemies.

Phil

Can i offer some suggestions/ideas:

- only members with a positive reputation can post in race threads

Or

- only members with a positive reputation within last N days/weeks can post in race threads (would exclude me too)

This either forces (i like to think encourages) members to contribute in more technical topics which increases the appeal of F1T and it also keeps out trolls that sign up solely to troll race topics and detract from constructive objective discussion.

Alternatively (or in addition): i would be in favour of limiting the number of posts a member can make in a race topic (as a total or within a give time or number of posts).

Most of the time, many members engage in endless arguments (usually circular) that goes on endlessly, lowers the quality of the content and keeps away the more objective members.

If anyone had a limit (call it air/speech time), maybe they would take more care with what they post. It would also give others more speech time and enable for more balanced discussion. Also and most imprtantly - it’s a fricking forum and there is no requirement nor chance that anyone will change their views. Sometimes it’s just better to let make their point and let it stand. The rest is agree to disagree.

I understand that you mods prefer to have the crap in the race topics to keep the other threads clean, but at this rate, you wont end up with a forum that attracts the quality content you are known for if this continues at this trajectory which is a real shame.

I really think something needs to change.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter