2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

JPower wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 21:05
No clue how Ferrari should do this weekend. I expect them to be behind McLaren but who knows what's going to happen given the track characteristics.
I think McLaren will be strong here in parts but I have to say I do think Ferrari may go better than expected as I think higher downforce may play more of a role than looks the case.

That improved battery will get its usage this weekend that’s for sure!

The two drivers will be keen to have a clean quali after the dramas of Monaco!

AeroDynamic

Mansell89

Some chat in the race thread about Ferrari going for low DF set up comparative to the field- anyone see any pictures?

JPower

Mansell89 wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 12:26
Some chat in the race thread about Ferrari going for low DF set up comparative to the field- anyone see any pictures?
I saw the picture of the spoon rear wing yesterday somewhere. Wouldn't surprise me as they were pretty quick in S1 and S3 but fairly slow in S2 where high speed downforce is needed.

JPower

Huge shunt by Leclerc. Glad he's OK but its going to be another long night for the the Ferrari mechanics.

I'm hoping the 2022 car isn't quite so on edge as the last few Ferraris. I can't remember a weekend this year where they haven't had a spin or off.

LM10

Ferrari confirmed that they won’t need to change chassis or PU. That’s a positive at least. But there will still be enough parts being replaced and I pretty much assume the gearbox as well.

JPBD1990

So glad and relieved Charles is ok, and good news from the team also. He’s been my favourite driver for a long time now so don’t pile on but… is he a bit… crashy?

He says street circuits are his favourite, but I remember some rather embarrassing crashes at both Baku and Monaco, now here. Bit rough.

JPower

JPBD1990 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 03:38
So glad and relieved Charles is ok, and good news from the team also. He’s been my favourite driver for a long time now so don’t pile on but… is he a bit… crashy?

He says street circuits are his favourite, but I remember some rather embarrassing crashes at both Baku and Monaco, now here. Bit rough.
Eh, I don't think so. To me it looks like the Ferrari is just hard to handle. Between Vettel, Leclerc, and Sainz how many spins/crashes have we seen over the past 3 years vs the competition? Might be the highest total on the grid.

If we use Carlos as the control, I don't remember him spinning/crashing his other cars nearly as often as the SF21.

evered7

JPBD1990 wrote:

Yes he is. There can be no other answer. Guy has contributed max to the body work repair bills for Ferrari this year.

If the car is edgy, one accounts for it and doesn't push it to the max especially in practice. It's not like he's learning his car new. He knows the behaviour of the car all year long

Even Haas rookies haven't crashed this much and they have a rank worse one on the grid.

Just glad he was able to walk and is ok. Definitely needs to calm down a lot.

JPBD1990

Two different POV’s in the above responses. Both valid. Can’t fault either.

I agree looking at Vettel, Leclerc and Sainz in combination is suggests the car behaviour is hard to wrangle. But I also can’t disagree with the fact that he should come to terms with that and be aware of the limits - especially in FP2, not even FP3 or Q3.

It may be pressure, it may be impatience, it could even be pressure from the fact Sainz has appeared to have the edge in the last few races in practice and quali. I don’t know. I don’t lose faith but I hope he can prove the hype right, not wrong. We saw with Antonio - after perception soured there was no coming back.

AeroDynamic

I think Charles knows the car, and I think its just a mixture of two things; hes pushing hard because he knows Sainz is on his case and has to put in his best laps to stay in front. He doesn't want to become a number 2, nobody does.

the character of Charles, I sense, from his time in Monaco a couple years ago, is that he has a mixture of impatience and a little bit optimistic sometimes, hence he can make misjudgements. But they aren't frequent, he will tune it out soon I think. Its more important he does it in practice rather than races.

Sainz is doing a great job, and Ferrari have a really amazing DUO for the team nowadays. I just hope that when they fight for a title, they can keep it respectable enough and not quite as toxic as Ham-Nico was in Mercedes.

JPower

If you weren't convinced its the car yet...

JPower

Anyway, great final lap by Charles. Another one that will go under the radar.

Carlos should have superior race pace to almost everyone in front of him outside of Ricciardo. If they can take care of the tires the overcut should put him back in the points.

Let's just hope both cars stay clean. Good opportunity to widen the gap with McLaren.

wowgr8

Sainz will have a tough tough race from 15th. He needs to deliver a tyre management masterclass to end the race in the high points, then there's the issue of the impossible to pass McLaren ahead of him

hape

evered7 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 05:01
JPBD1990 wrote:

Yes he is. There can be no other answer. Guy has contributed max to the body work repair bills for Ferrari this year.

If the car is edgy, one accounts for it and doesn't push it to the max especially in practice. It's not like he's learning his car new. He knows the behaviour of the car all year long

Even Haas rookies haven't crashed this much and they have a rank worse one on the grid.

Just glad he was able to walk and is ok. Definitely needs to calm down a lot.
Don’t want to start a discussion about Leclercs driving style but I think today Sainz perfectly showed how much a handful this car really is around this circuit.
Putting that car in 4th position is an incredible achievement.