2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

drunkf1fan wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:56
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:09
I'd be surprised if the stewards gave Verstappen a penalty for the turn 27 incident as the FIA, I'd say, the most to blame for that. Bad communication over the radio from everyone.
Max was trying to force him to pass before the drs line so he could pass him right back. Hamilton slowed so Max had to pass the line first, then Max stamped on the brakes to force it but by then he's right behind Max and it causes the collision.

But you can't just do a whole lap and then try to force giving the position back right before the drs line. YOu can do that as a normal defensive strategy but you're not supposed to give back the position in a place that gains you an immediate advantage like that.

I think they'll see on his data that right before the impact Max stamped on the brakes again to force the pass but did so dangerously. Frankly they wouldn't call them in without evidence of what happened so it's likely pretty easy to see. It seems from all video that he suddenly slows a lot more.
I noticed that on Verstappen’s onboard. If seems from the engine noise he gradually reduces speed and then really stands on the brake just before the collision.

DoubleBargeboard
DoubleBargeboard

As somewhat a neutral...I can get over the "let them past/brake check" for want of better words. Unless you are going to bring up a bunch of sporting regs and interpretations about driving erratically etc...I can see both sides of that incident...and to some degree...both arguments hold up I can get over it. Slap both on the wrists for messing around to the DRS line and we learn a new lesson and move on.

What I can't get past is Verstappens attitude into corners when behind on the brakes. This idea that you can just throw it in from that far back, regardless of your ability to make the corner or not...and everyone else on the track has to both avoid you and deal with the consequences is just poor driving standards (regardless if anyone makes contact or not). It just sets the bench really blooming low...

His 2nd restart up the inside was amazing though.

TNTHead

Reminder to self: if HAM and VER are close on track and both trying for the corner(s), stay away from race thread because it explodes with HAM biased fans. I am not saying Max didnt do anything wrong. But to say HAM was only the victim... thats not how racing works. This is racing.
I'll stay away from the race thread and leave it to it.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

Big Tea wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 23:11
Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:24
The main problem is Michael Masi. He is incompetent, people lose the jobs every day for far less significant reasons.
Does the fact that BOTH sides think he is biased the other way not indicate he has it about right?
No! Michael is befriended with lovely voice Jonathan from RedBull

Big Tea

falonso81 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:48
Thank you Liberty Media. Thank you FIA.
Anyone knows if i can get a refund on my F1 TV subscription?
That was not entertainment? Maybe not as good as masterchief :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TwanV
TwanV

Hmm dirty driving? How about opening a gap after the sc, that wasnt clean. What about leaving more than 10 car lengths very obviously? Not very sporty is it? Gamemanship vs dirty continental tactics as the islander would say. In the end it didn't really matter, max' tire gamble didn't work out. Max isn't dotd out of nowhere though, it is a very local sentiment that somehow max is to blame for lewis being reluctant to overtake there ( and lose the position on the straight after Drs, which max showed worked perfectly). I would not be surprised if the FIA hands out 5 to lewis for causing a collision, that was more than 50% on the guy behind. Again, not that it matters. But this place bias is off the charts.
Last edited by TwanV on 05 Dec 2021, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 23:15
Big Tea wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 23:11
Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:24
The main problem is Michael Masi. He is incompetent, people lose the jobs every day for far less significant reasons.
Does the fact that BOTH sides think he is biased the other way not indicate he has it about right?
No! Michael is befriended with lovely voice Jonathan from RedBull
I see it as irony. like 'Yeh, sure you are'

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Verstappen has just made the point for all of us who has been arguing about Brazil. ‘Why was it a penalty here and not in Brazil?.

That’s the point we’ve been making. If you were penalised as you should have been you would know what the rules were here.

jurinius
jurinius

Marty_Y wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 23:00
'Verstappen over the limit for sure'
Lewis Hamilton tells Sky Sports: "For me I had to keep my cool out there which was difficult to do. I've been racing for 28 years and come across a lot of different characters. There are a few of them that are over the limit, rules do not apply or they don't think of the rules.

"I was just trying to do my talking on the track. There were so many crazy curveballs then he [Verstappen] brake tested me to get the DRS and overtake me again into Turn One.

"He is over the limit for sure. I've avoided collisions on so many occasions with this guy and I don't mind doing that as you live to survive another day.

"I didn't get the information [that Verstappen was letting him through] so it was very confusing and was he trying to play some crazy tactic? Then he hit the brakes so hard and I nearly went up the back of him.

"For him, it does not matter if we both don't finish but for me we both need to finish. I'm personally chilled. I feel like I'm in the boxing ring and I'm ready to go."
Nothing to add here. "Lewis let's go to Abu Dhabi", this Mercedes is looking ready to challenge til the last corner of the season.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

El Scorchio

Norris obviously has a bit of sour grapes about it but it was interesting he said a lot of drivers are frustrated about the rule that says you can change tyres under a red flag and that it’s unfair.

What is the reason they are allowed to anyway? Under the assumption some of them may have damage from the incident that led to the flag? It’s an interesting one. Sometimes it works for you and sometimes it works against you.

mzivtins
mzivtins

TwanV wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 23:16
Hmm dirty driving? How about opening a gap after the sc, that wasnt clean. What about leaving more than 10 car lengths very obviously? Not very sporty is it? Gamemanship vs dirty continental tactics as the islander would say. I'm the end it didn't really matter, max' tire gamble didn't work out. Max isn't dotd out of nowhere though, it is a very local sentiment that somehow max is to blame for lewis being reluctant to overtake there ( and lose the position on the straight after Drs, which max showed worked perfectly). I would not be surprised if the FIA hands out 5 to lewis for causing a collision, that was more than 50% on the guy behind. Again, not that it matters. But this place bias is off the charts.
It wasn't a formation lap. Therefore there is no rule about maintaining distance. Max just got his thoughts confused as you are.

It isn't unsporting at all.
Last edited by mzivtins on 05 Dec 2021, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

mzivtins
mzivtins

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 23:26
Norris obviously has a bit of sour grapes about it but it was interesting he said a lot of drivers are frustrated about the rule that says you can change tyres under a red flag and that it’s unfair.

What is the reason they are allowed to anyway? Under the assumption some of them may have damage from the incident that led to the flag? It’s an interesting one. Sometimes it works for you and sometimes it works against you.
I think it was allowed because it just hadn't been thought about so no rules made against it. I believe they will revise the rule before 2022 season and after 2021

jz11
jz11

TNTHead wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 23:14
Reminder to self: if HAM and VER are close on track and both trying for the corner(s), stay away from race thread because it explodes with HAM biased fans. I am not saying Max didnt do anything wrong. But to say HAM was only the victim... thats not how racing works. This is racing.
I'll stay away from the race thread and leave it to it.
just biased fans? how about article authors/editors on this site? apparently Max aggressively gave the place back there and caused the collision, I almost see him reversing into Hamiltons fw to brake off the endplate with the ultra durable Pirellis they run :D

the poster below
the poster below

El Scorchio wrote:

I always thought it was partly to accommodate potential punctures from carbon fibre shards of driving through debris, and to ensure correct tyres for the conditions if it's dry or inters / wets.

I think they could resolve it quite easily by mandating both use of at least two tyre compounds and at least one pit stop during a race. Would be automatic in most races to fulfill both criteria. Seems almost too simple though, so perhaps I've missed some scenario which is affected.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:

This fits in with Max remarks about it is all about crossing white lines not racing. The rules are what they are, You obey them or not. If you do not you are penalised. They are the rules like you can not take a motorcycle to a marathon.