2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

Phil wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 04:18
Quiz question: if Max’s intentions were genuine to let Hamilton by with no risk of causing a collision, or damage his opponent;

1.)
Why did he accelerate after he was hit?

2.)
why didnt he simply move to the far right and make it unambiguously clear what his intentions were and why was he right smack in the middle of the road when he went on the brakes?
I'll bite.

#2 first. Attempt to compromise Hamilton's trajectory as much as possible, while still 'facilitating' a pass. The erratic slowing meant Hamilton had scrubbed most of his speed before attempting a pass, meaning the next corner and straight would be more of a lottery.

#1. I don't think he budgeted on Hamilton running into him. The telemetry, and implied reaction times, will tell us more in that regard. My guess is he accelerated literally at the point of impact, because he was 'guessing' when Hamilton would pass him, all in an attempt to dive-bomb into the final turn with DRS (as per the second 'pass').

Basically, my best attempt is, Max was really clumsy and desperate. At worst, i.e. if intentional, dirty.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Just_a_fan wrote:
jknights wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 01:15

For the gladiatorial spectacle I have to disagree and remember that F1 is owned by an American conglomerate that like hard contact!

F1 is owned by the FIA. Liberty have a licence to promote it and make money from it.
Are you sure? F1 is owned by Liberty… The governing body (rules and regulations) is FIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Phil wrote:I wonder what penalty he had gotten if Hamilton had suffered a DNF as a result of running into the back of him….
Most probably a 10 second stop and go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

You know what is next: Because of omicron, dubai race is cancelled and FIA declarers wonder boy the champ.

tpe
tpe

Some questions left unanswered.
1. MV pass LH from outside the track.
2. Asked to start from p3.
3. On the restart he does the same.
4. Asked to give the position back.
5. Break tests LH.
6. Takes 5 sec penalty
7. Gives the position back.

WHAT THE HELL?
Massi made a mess? Red Bull messed up?

Why MV got the 5 sec penalty AND have the position back?
This is the question.

Pany
Pany

ringo wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 04:10
siskue2005 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 03:01
I still don't understand why is Max sooooooo desperate, so much so that he is ready to take other car out! (Granted that this is high stakes championship) but its not end of the world, he can still win next race or any other season, he certainly has the talent to do it.. but why does he needs to do it and tarnish his name? Just be a man and lose like a man!
He has been told that he is the best, the best at street circuits too. Hamilton has no talent and he is only fast because he had the fastest car. So I think there is a mental breakdown when he cannot compute why Horner's, Jos' and Helmut's reassurance that Hamilton is mediocre isn't making sense in reality. And here is tied on points... Hamilton winning 3 races in a row. I don't think he has processed what is happening and is reacting in the wrong way because his handlers have him believe that the world is against him. I would have enjoyed this championship more without the dirty driving. Pace alone and strong defending and craft would have been more satisfying.

Hamilton is winning against all odds. Just using experience to dodge bullets at this stage.
I hope he wins lights to flag in abudhabi and leave redbull with their jaws on the floor unable to do anything.
At this point Max is mentally distraught, you can see it on his face. But he has done very well so far as a 24 year old driving against really difficult competition. If he had been better managed he would not be having this breakdown.
Focusing on his speed and craft would have paid off more than focusing on dirty tactics.
It's almost as if he has conceded that Hamilton is the better driver. deep down but refuses to try and improve himself. It's sad, and I hope he is a cleaner driver next year.
Alonso would have indeed been a better opponent were he in the Redbull.
Is just the opposite. U are wrong. Redbull is competing against odds. Mercedes team is a super power team, technically and politically. They still have advantage woth engines after 8 years. Renault and ferrari are still trying to catch. This is not rnormal at all. We have to thank max is giving us for the first time an interesting championship. He is doing anything he can to keep fight alive, even with tricks and over the limits moves. Otherwise would have been the traditional useless f1 championship. Think about

Pany
Pany

Hope so

Pany
Pany

mika vs michael wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 02:32
When Hamilton brake tested Vettel in Baku it was Vettel that got the penalty. Verstappen is the new Senna...Maybe because Mercedes has won the political game in F1, FIA are desperately trying to help Hamilton break the Michael Schumacher 7 titles record...
Has Verstappen been voted driver of the day because F1 fans like dirty tricks? I think not. He's been voted because they think he's more genuine. All that controversy is not bad for the sport. It happened again in the past after all...between legends of the sport. Let's hope that this rivalry goes on in 2022 and beyond.

Perfectly right

Pany
Pany

siskue2005 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 02:16
I am actually mythed how Lewis even managed to finish this race tbh. 3 seperate take out attempts, front wing collision, being sandwiched with Ocon. Guy still pumping in FLs in the closing stages.

No wonder Max has lost the plot.
The same old fact. Engine superiority, still after 8 years...... very simple. They play with it. Beware now that engines upgrades are again to be blocked, you will see mercedes dominance keep on. Rember the token system, a way to keep secure technical advantage

richardn
richardn

You are supposed to give back the place in a way that confers 'lasting' advantage. Arranging you have DRS and taking the place back at the next opportunity is not compatible with that.

Verstappen knew if HAM goes by and he can't overtake before the twisty bit, then the race is lost, hence the desperation to get DRS.

Quite honestly Bottas should have had a penalty for backing up before pitting during the first SC and I think that if the race hadn't been red flagged a penalty would have been applied. It's an issue that wingmen can protect their drivers in certain circumstances without danger of penalties to the number ones..

Tizz

Was looking forward to the race but a lack of leadership from the Fia just destroyed it all

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

radosav wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 02:09
Bill_Kar wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 02:00
There is no bottom for FIA, really.

What the heck are they doing? Max (according to them) caused a collision by brake-checking LH and he's handed a convenient 10-sec penalty? After all his shenanigans today??

So, Masi can tell to Mercedes "There, I penalized Verstappen twice, I'm not incompetent" and we're supposed to say OK? And fuel Red Bull's story that they are getting slammed for "fair and tough fighting"??

Jesus.
Hmm, and why Lewis followed Max so close behind, he had room on left to overtake, or just position his car on left side without overtaking him? Because he didn't wan't to give Max DRS . They both played that game, just Max being more guilty than Lewis so he got penalty.
But saying poor Lewis got confused and hit bad Max is laughable .
Sorry but you’re being intentionally obtuse.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 06 Dec 2021, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

Jambier

Pany wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 08:33
ringo wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 03:01
I still don't understand why is Max sooooooo desperate, so much so that he is ready to take other car out! (Granted that this is high stakes championship) but its not end of the world, he can still win next race or any other season, he certainly has the talent to do it.. but why does he needs to do it and tarnish his name? Just be a man and lose like a man!
He has been told that he is the best, the best at street circuits too. Hamilton has no talent and he is only fast because he had the fastest car. So I think there is a mental breakdown when he cannot compute why Horner's, Jos' and Helmut's reassurance that Hamilton is mediocre isn't making sense in reality. And here is tied on points... Hamilton winning 3 races in a row. I don't think he has processed what is happening and is reacting in the wrong way because his handlers have him believe that the world is against him. I would have enjoyed this championship more without the dirty driving. Pace alone and strong defending and craft would have been more satisfying.

Hamilton is winning against all odds. Just using experience to dodge bullets at this stage.
I hope he wins lights to flag in abudhabi and leave redbull with their jaws on the floor unable to do anything.
At this point Max is mentally distraught, you can see it on his face. But he has done very well so far as a 24 year old driving against really difficult competition. If he had been better managed he would not be having this breakdown.
Focusing on his speed and craft would have paid off more than focusing on dirty tactics.
It's almost as if he has conceded that Hamilton is the better driver. deep down but refuses to try and improve himself. It's sad, and I hope he is a cleaner driver next year.
Is just the opposite. U are wrong. Redbull is competing against odds. Mercedes team is a super power team, technically and politically. They still have advantage woth engines after 8 years. Renault and ferrari are still trying to catch. This is not rnormal at all. We have to thank max is giving us for the first time an interesting championship. He is doing anything he can to keep fight alive, even with tricks and over the limits moves. Otherwise would have been the traditional useless f1 championship. Think about
I totally agree with you.

Max is the only thing for now bringing some sport into those championship with the boring Mercedes domination

For the sake of F1 Mercedes MUST fail in 2022.

xaero
xaero

Jambier wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 09:29
Pany wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 08:33
ringo wrote:

I totally agree with you.

Max is the only thing for now bringing some sport into those championship with the boring Mercedes domination

For the sake of F1 Mercedes MUST fail in 2022.
:lol: height of desperation and jealousy.
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

Roo
Roo

It been interesting to read many updates on the break test, and see the 1990 Senna Prost accident again and listening to MVs onboard instructions "strategically" give back the place.

The 10 second penalty for MV isn't suffiecient to deter another 1990 take out. It merely says MV do whatever you want. If LH wins the WDC against the forces against him it'll be one of his best. I'm well aware people are saying LH is dirty; i've not seen anything from LH where he has time and time again done the level of things MV has to MV. Some will point to silverstone, even then there was nothing level brake testing in the middle of the circuit, driving LH out wide, driving on his head etc. There has been plenty of sutle things, they're not at the same level as MV and RBR.

One thing I haven't noticed is a discussion on the constructors title. Surely this is al but Mercs now, RBR will be desparate for thr WDC, that makes the next race and the behaviour IMO more dangerous. While i'm looking forward to the race, i'm not looking forward to what might happen..