Long Lap Penalty in F1??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NL_Fer

Penalty lane

Maybe should the FIA have another look at the penalty course? An extra piece of track, a penalised driver has to drive through which gives him a 2-3s loss of time.

This way we prevent stupid negotiations about giving a position back and no more tricks to reclaim a given position right after.

More important: the penalised driver is given honest chance to try another overtake of his opponent. Instead of the opponent just following the penalised driver within the penalty time and claim his position after the finish.

It is kinda stupid, when driver crossing the line first is not winning because of a stupid time penalty.

El Scorchio

Re: Penalty lane

NL_Fer wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 13:47
Maybe should the FIA have another look at the penalty course? An extra piece of track, a penalised driver has to drive through which gives him a 2-3s loss of time.

This way we prevent stupid negotiations about giving a position back and no more tricks to reclaim a given position right after.

More important: the penalised driver is given honest chance to try another overtake of his opponent. Instead of the opponent just following the penalised driver within the penalty time and claim his position after the finish.

It is kinda stupid, when driver crossing the line first is not winning because of a stupid time penalty.
Not a bad idea, although what if the car which transgressed manages to make up 2-3 seconds before they get to the penalty loop? Absolutely not impossible- particularly if the wronged driver gets spun round or has some damage etc.

As for the time penalties, the only other alternative is to order a drive through which is too strict. I would have thought the fact the wronged driver can follow and still win should be a good deterrent for the transgressor to stay within the rules.

fajanko

NL_Fer wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 13:47

Good idea. Let's call it pit lane :)

Shrieker

They do this in motoGP and it works very well. Can't fathom why this hasn't been incorporated into F1 yet.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

rogazilla

Totally agree with penalty lane. if track doesn't have longer route, you can simply find an escape route and put speed limit on to make it a 5-10 second longer to go through

pipm1

Or just a drive-through penalty. Or any position-relinquishing must be done within 3 corners (i.e. get rid of the driver/team debate, let the driver decide) else automatic drive-through penalty, or no DRS allowed by that car on the lap they do the hand-back or lap following lap. I thought there was a rule where they weren't allowed to re-overtake for the next 3 corners after giving a position back?

Mogster

pipm1 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 17:48
Or just a drive-through penalty. Or any position-relinquishing must be done within 3 corners (i.e. get rid of the driver/team debate, let the driver decide) else automatic drive-through penalty, or no DRS allowed by that car on the lap they do the hand-back or lap following lap. I thought there was a rule where they weren't allowed to re-overtake for the next 3 corners after giving a position back?
Drive thru loses too much time. The idea is to give a minor penalty, 5-10 secs rather than giving a time penalty added on.

Jolle

I believe that “giving the position back” isn’t an official rule but a gentleman’s agreement to avoid having penalties applied every botched overtake. They are not intended to be used as a way to make “running a car off track” an ok thing to do.

If feel the stewards should have the possibility to hand out a drive trough for on track behaviour that is just over the edge, not the result of a misjudgement.

west52keep64

Actually, the FIA already have something they can use to deal with the situation of returning the position, and it would be incredibly easy to implement, they are called Blue Flags.

Rather than let the teams dictate to the driver if and when a position should be returned, the FIA could simply tell the team they will show the driver the blue flag at a specific part of the track, and the driver must yield the position at that part of the track. If the driver fails to yield the position (perhaps after 2-3 blue flags), it's an automatic time penalty.

To be honest, even the FIA stating where on track the switch should happen would probably improve things, as they can communicate this to both drivers so there are no surprises and it can be done fairly.

El Scorchio

west52keep64 wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 00:32
Actually, the FIA already have something they can use to deal with the situation of returning the position, and it would be incredibly easy to implement, they are called Blue Flags.

Rather than let the teams dictate to the driver if and when a position should be returned, the FIA could simply tell the team they will show the driver the blue flag at a specific part of the track, and the driver must yield the position at that part of the track. If the driver fails to yield the position (perhaps after 2-3 blue flags), it's an automatic time penalty.

To be honest, even the FIA stating where on track the switch should happen would probably improve things, as they can communicate this to both drivers so there are no surprises and it can be done fairly.
That’s a very good idea, to be fair. Race control notifies the infringing driver they’ll be shown a blue flag in xxxx sector and they notify the wronged driver of the same thing, and they expect a fair swap to take place between there and the next marshal’s post or there will be a penalty applied.

Jolle

This hasn’t been a real problem since someone tried to crash his opponent out a couple of times by “missing a corner”. This behaviour wil only increase with a set rule like this, almost making it allowed.

AlexCarey

Long Lap Penalty in F1??

<Mod edit: this topic (Long Lap Penalty in F1??) was created after all the posts above. I merged both topics since clearly it is the same issue being discussed. And I think this subforum is a better home for it>

MotoGP successfully (in my opinion) uses a long lap penalty system where riders that exceed track limits, or commit other types of sporting violations, have to take a dedicated longer, slower turn on the track. This increases the lap time for that 1 lap, effectively penalising the rider during the race. World Superbikes will also introduce long lap penalties for 2021 Perhaps this is something that can also work in F1? Instead of applying penalties after the race (which can cause confusion amongst fans, or ruin a driver's chance of celebrating on the podium), a driver will take a longer, slower lap. This penalises them immediately, potentially puts them behind a slower driver (or behind the driver they impeded).
omegle xenderI know that some F1 tracks like Monaco and maybe Canada may not be able to easily accommodate this, but for me it would be a better way of penalising drivers. I would still have drive-through and stop-go penalties for more serious offences.