2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marty_Y

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

El Scorchio wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 19:12
Marty_Y wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 18:53
https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolf ... abu-dhabi/

Wolff unsure if Mercedes will be ‘fast or not’ in Abu Dhabi
Date published: December 6 2021 - Jon Wilde

I hope that they have a better understanding of the issues that effected performance last year.
I think he knows more than he's letting on there. Everyone acknowledged Verstappen set up for qualifying rather than race pace in SA and Mercedes did the opposite- or went more balanced. Didn't they run the engines purposely detuned or run some tests for 2021 there last year, which ceded some speed?
Agree about him knowing more than he's letting on, if I remember correctly they had concerns with the mgu-k so turned down the power unit but we're saying that this alone wouldn't fully explain the lack of performance.

Marty_Y

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mgu-k ... 4/4976344/

MGU-K "gremlin" forced Mercedes to turn down power at F1 Abu Dhabi GP
By:
Jonathan Noble
Co-author:
Christian Nimmervoll
Dec 13, 2020, 11:02 AM
Mercedes has admitted to concerns over an MGU-K "gremlin" ahead of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that has forced all its Formula 1 teams to turn down their power

"We didn't get the soft tyre right," explained Wolff.

"That's an outlier. The overall gap to the field is much smaller than we would have liked and we have to learn from that now.

"We can't say exactly what it is yet. We did quite well on the medium. The tyre suited us much better than the soft.

"But we were also very strong on the soft this year. You have to analyse the data, but we are not there yet."

WaikeCU

e30ernest wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 16:46
I almost never expect Lewis to win driver of the day no matter how well he performed in a race. It's either a lot of people dislike him, or people just think it's normal when he performs great so they tend to see and vote other drivers more when they stand out.

Max winning Driver Of The Day last night was a joke though. I would have probably given that to Ocon or Lewis.
Think Lewis maybe on how he managed to bring it home, but if it was me, I'd say Dani Ric. P5 is very good for him, considering how he has performed all year. I think he kinda went under the radar and finished P5 somehow.

dans79

Mercedes confirmed they ran the engines turned down in Abu Dhabi last year!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mgu-k ... 4/4976344/
Asked about the situation, Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff confirmed that all the power units had been backed off a bit.

"We've got a bit of a gremlin sitting in there," he said.

"The MGU-K is below the power that it should normally give. We don't understand exactly why yet. So we've taken a bit of performance out of it, on all the Mercedes engines."

He mentiones tires, but I personally think that's a a red herring!
197 104 103 7

NL_Fer

Except for the ICE, all other components are nearing their milage. Who knows how much the already took out of them, the last few races. Last 3 races Hamilton was flying and enginepower was an important factor for it.

InsaneX_Badger

I asked on the specific car thread, but agreed with the poster that this is better on the team thread. I think the last C5 race was in Russia. The only thing I'm worried about if Merc still has a slight issue on the fastest compound of the range and won't affect their quali performance

NathanOlder

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 05:36
Lewis needs to fly back to HQ and practice the new layout in the sim, I bet he will be mighty come Sunday!

Merc really needs to plan it out and make sure that engine has enough juice left and I guess activate their rear suspension solution and come out guns blazing in Q3. A merc 1-2 in quali is what we need!!
Shake n Bake baby
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

pb6797

With all the SC and VSC laps in Jeddah, how much degradation will the Mercedes engine have gone through? It's not entirely clear at which point it drops away to the point where it ceases to give the "rocket" advantage.

Swifty

pb6797 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 21:26
With all the SC and VSC laps in Jeddah, how much degradation will the Mercedes engine have gone through? It's not entirely clear at which point it drops away to the point where it ceases to give the "rocket" advantage.
At this point, I think that's barely an inconvenience. There would be concerns venting on the media already if that was the case.

Besides, the setups used since Brazil are insane. The team knows what they are doing and what they must do to finish this season in a nice fashion.

Spoutnik

NL_Fer wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 20:02
Except for the ICE, all other components are nearing their milage. Who knows how much the already took out of them, the last few races. Last 3 races Hamilton was flying and enginepower was an important factor for it.
As I said somewhere, they must be confident that there's no mileage risks as they would've introduce new components in the pool in Turkey or Brazil I guess
Otherwise they can put the components with the lowest mileage "juste for one race" around the new ICE if they are worried...

McG

Was watching the after show I think it was Ted's Notebook and they were hanging around outside the stewards building. Masi was seen talking to Brawn and Ted was saying he was getting advice from him in what to do. Why tf is Masi talking to someone like Brawn who is obviously going to say be lenient because it's Brawn's job to spice up the show. Any person with sense would have came down on Versappen like a ton of old broken Honda engines for his behaviour that race. The body language of Verstappen tells its own story. He looks like a teenager sitting outside a headmasters office about to go in and get a new ine4 torn, only in this "sport" he is getting away with it.

At the moment F1 only cares about the narrative. They will take whatever controversy this championship brings because they want to compare it to the good old days of Senna and Prost. If Verstappen punts Hamilton next race it'll be seen as one of the great championships. Hamilton has dealt with Alonso, Vettel, Rosberg now Verstappen and is 99% a better sportsman than all of them. Then before that we had Schumacher, I'm sure Hamilton would have dealt with him too. Absolutely sick of these dirty drivers, it doesn't make a good race, championship or era for me.
F1 is dead.

1m0bius1

The changes make this a pure merc track bar 3 or 4 corners which were also changed and made faster. Which also suits merc. Rbr have no chance. The only chance max has is crashing out lewis which he is trying desperately to do.

JPower

1m0bius1 wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 00:21
The changes make this a pure merc track bar 3 or 4 corners which were also changed and made faster. Which also suits merc. Rbr have no chance. The only chance max has is crashing out lewis which he is trying desperately to do.
No track has been purely advantaged to either car this season IMO. That's what's made it great.

Mercedes should have the upper hand but I can't say anything for sure in 2021.

ringo

Imagine if Lewis had his 3 points from Brazil sprint race?
And no points were awarded at Spa?
For Sure!!

siskue2005

ringo wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 02:16
Imagine if Lewis had his 3 points from Brazil sprint race?
And no points were awarded at Spa?
That will put him 4.5 points ahead, still he will need to win the next race
But all will be good the next race. 8)