The end of an era

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

The end of an era

No, I don't mean the end of the current regs.

This weekend will be Kimi's final race in F1. With a career that has spanned 2 decades (Schumacher was only a 3 time WDC when Kimi joined the grid), I thought it might be a refreshing change from certain other discussions, to all share some of our favourite Kimi moments.

For me my absolute favourite is "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" whilst leading in Abu Dhabi for Lotus.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan

Re: The end of an era

I've always liked Kimi. Back in the day he was probably the fastest guy on the grid. Should have been Champion more than once but suffered from some poor reliability back in his McLaren days.

One of the greats, if only because of his no bullshit attitude. Got to love his "I was taking a dump" interview answer. No one else would have got away with that. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Stu

I’d agree with that, at the time he was a breath of fresh air, self-confident in the car, no ego outside of it. He ‘got away’ with behaviour away from racing that got Montoya in trouble (with the same team). I remember him at McLaren (at the Nurburgring), running with a flat-spotted tyre, in first-place(?) when his front suspension exploded due to the vibration (probably helped to cost him a championship at McLaren that year). He was mighty!!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Andres125sx

My memory sucks so I can´t say what´s my favourite moment, but any random radio comunication from Kimi probably is worth more than best radio comunication from most drivers

His title is one of the few reasons I´m glad McLaren fu**ed theirselves in 2007. At least the title went to someone fair and honest. We don´t fight Kimi, we fight Alonso (from Alonso Team Boss)... then Kimi won the title... ROFLMAO. My all time favourite F1 moment. Perfect example of what Karma means!

BTW, IMHO that title was the last won with a car wich is not the best

We´ll miss Kimi, sure

adrianjordan

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 09:10
My memory sucks so I can´t say what´s my favourite moment, but any random radio comunication from Kimi probably is worth more than best radio comunication from most drivers

His title is one of the few reasons I´m glad McLaren fu**ed theirselves in 2007. At least the title went to someone fair and honest. We don´t fight Kimi, we fight Alonso (from Alonso Team Boss)... then Kimi won the title... ROFLMAO. My all time favourite F1 moment. Perfect example of what Karma means!

BTW, IMHO that title was the last won with a car wich is not the best

We´ll miss Kimi, sure
Totally agree, and I say that as a McLaren fan since Mika was there!!

Real shame we couldn't gice him the title while he was driving for the Woking team.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

oT v1

Sepang 2009 ice cream :) as real as it gets.
The Power of Dreams

ThumbsUp

I found the give me my gloves and steering wheel hilarious, boy he was shouting like a crazy one, and another moment with his Alfa race engineer if they could hear each other or not..

Edit: Added this video

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 01:44

This weekend will be Kimi's final race in F1. With a career that has spanned 2 decades (Schumacher was only a 3 time WDC when Kimi joined the grid), I thought it might be a refreshing change from certain other discussions, to all share some of our favourite Kimi moments.

For me my absolute favourite is "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" whilst leading in Abu Dhabi for Lotus.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nokivasara

adrianjordan wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 01:44

I think his wheel to wheel battle with Schumi in Brazil (don't remember the year) was one of the highlights. And also his early years at Mclaren, he really was on it, too bad the car was so fragile. His first race at Ferrari was good too, P1 IIRC!
I also liked his comeback with Lotus.

Airshifter

Someone who truly enjoyed racing, and had talent not reflected in his record. Easily a multiple WDC winner in the right car. I remember when Kimi came into the sport after all the talk of the super license issue. Within a couple of races that concern over the super license was long gone.

He will be missed beyond his racing and for the crazy moments he created off the track as well. Sometimes spanning from the track to off. So many wild radio calls and actions, it's hard to pin down a favorite.

But going straight to the yacht in Monaco was classic Kimi. =D>

We need more characters in the sport.

nevill3

I don't know why but I have always thought of Kimi as the James Hunt of this generation of drivers, who will take his mantle next?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Stu

nevill3 wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 04:30
I don't know why but I have always thought of Kimi as the James Hunt of this generation of drivers, who will take his mantle next?
While at McLaren he signed up for a snowmobile race whilst at home (just before the season started) as….James Hunt!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Zynerji

Strongest memory of Kimi was his rear wing disintegrating at nearly 180mph.

My heart stopped 🥵

cliffgamerz

It would also be a great honor to mention that we need all fans alliance this weekend to try and give Kimi a greatest gift by Voting him Driver of the day with maximum votes as possible, it will be just be a fans for saying a big thank you to his best efforts in F1, for me he will always remain best in many ways. Miss you Mr ICEMAN.

cliffgamerz

Zynerji wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 09:50
Strongest memory of Kimi was his rear wing disintegrating at nearly 180mph.

My heart stopped 🥵
That was in Nürburgring, my heart broke for him that day too.