2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
InsaneX_Badger

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

I think the lap cars may now overtake line is really what is going to save Red Bull's result. The result will stay the same but Mercedes should go after the FIA with everything they have an demand changes to be made to ensure we have clearer codes of combat between drivers and the beginning and ending of procedures that occur in the race. From red flags, standing starts that aren't technically formation laps, to how lapped cars should overtake and the safety car ending and race restart procedures. All of it is absolutely wrong and it just needs to bloody change.

LionKing
LionKing

Verstappen has been the best driver by far this season. Congratulations to a great talent and the new champ!!!

nevill3

Red bul lleaving the stewards any body language experts on here to read their expressions
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

TNTHead

You can discuss for pages and pages about the SC and unlapping cars, but strategy wise Merc was too cautious to loose track position. Rb outsmarted them with an aggressive strategy that - with some luck, definitely- payed out heavily. Seeing the course of the season, most of the time they were unlucky (blown tyre in Baku comes in mind for instance).

I can feel for the Merc fans: it feels like with soccer you dominate heavily, but loose a match because of a debatable penalty. But this also belongs to the sport.

dans79

Redragon wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:02
Would be anyone happy if without the last lap outcome Redbull would have made a complain about first incident and try to win the race after?
They could fill a complain and review of the rules now too if Mercedes complain is granted.

I would leave it as it is, it was great way to finish as viewer. Something I would change in the future regarding of SC is not counting the SC laps on the last 20 laps of the grand prix, so it would give everyone the same changes.
I think the window for protesting a decision like that might have passed already!
197 104 103 7

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Redragon wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:13
Restomaniac wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:06
Redragon wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:02
Would be anyone happy if without the last lap outcome Redbull would have made a complain about first incident and try to win the race after?
They could fill a complain and review of the rules now too if Mercedes complain is granted.

I would leave it as it is, it was great way to finish as viewer. Something I would change in the future regarding of SC is not counting the SC laps on the last 20 laps of the grand prix, so it would give everyone the same changes.
No because lap 1 is an interpretation. What happened at the end of the race is black and white and under rules clearly would end under SC. The irony is the very second Masi said cars could unlap he tied the race to ending under the SC.
You didn't understand my question, would you be happy if Redbull would raise a complain because incident on first lap to be reviewed, they are on their right too.

At the end decisions were made and have their interpretations as you say but as viewer I want to see all finish on the race track not with Rule complains after the race
I want the FIA to follow their own rules. If they did can you guess what the result on the race track would have been?

Macklaren
Macklaren

Even if Masi has cover under the rule that he is allowed to "direct specfiic cars to overtake" there are a few issues
(1) how did he justify arbitrarily choosing the 5 cars between the two championship contenders
(2) why did he suddenly change his mind about allowing lapped cars to overtake within half a lap
(3) why were those 5 cars not given the traditional half lap to come around in front of the safety car instead?

There are still massive issues with what happened EVEN if you believe the line that all lapped cars should not be subject to the same rules

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Zynerji wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:14
If next years cars bunch the field, I sincerely hope that it's not riddled with penalties/steward intervention.
Surely it will happen. Maybe not next year, maybe the year after, or possibly 3 years away from now, it's inevitable. FIA has opened the Pandora's Box and they don't seem particularly keen on closing it, since it's all part of the "drama" needed for the American F1.

InsaneX_Badger

nevill3 wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:17
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGbEMO3XIAc ... name=large

Red bul lleaving the stewards any body language experts on here to read their expressions
I highly doubt a decision will be made today

wogx

Valtteri doesn't even give a f**k about Mercedes now :lol:

interview with Bottas on SKY
- Valtteri, what's the atmosphere in the team, it's probably hard, can you tell us something about what's going on there?
- I don't know, nobody talked to me, I wasn't there

then he jumped into the pool :lol:

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

e30ernest
e30ernest

TNTHead wrote:
You can discuss for pages and pages about the SC and unlapping cars, but strategy wise Merc was too cautious to loose track position. Rb outsmarted them with an aggressive strategy that - with some luck, definitely- payed out heavily. Seeing the course of the season, most of the time they were unlucky (blown tyre in Baku comes in mind for instance).

I can feel for the Merc fans: it feels like with soccer you dominate heavily, but loose a match because of a debatable penalty. But this also belongs to the sport.
IMO, Merc's strategy was on point given the position they had, the pace their car had, and what they would have lost had they pitted with Max. There wasn't really any option for them, either way Max would have had an advantage there.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

TNTHead wrote:

To me, strategy was fine. He couldn't pit under VSC or SC because the gap was not enough to find himself ahead of Max.

RB just did what any team would have done; throw everything at Mercedes because a) they were slower today, by quite some margin and b) the guy behind has always the opportunity to react to the guy ahead.

If Mercedes pitted and Hamilton was stuck behind MV, we would talk of an extreme blunder.

DChemTech
DChemTech

the EDGE wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:14
I wonder what soft drink Masi drinks now a days…?
I am guessing Irish whisky. Just a bit too soft and indecisive.

Phil

I have to say - what Perez showed today against Hamilton is what Bottas has been left missing all year. That’s how you race and protect your team.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

This won't be going to CAS, the Mercedes board won't allow further appeal beyond today. But Toto will threaten it for politics