Renault R25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
scarbs

perhaps he was suggesting the new engine has a higher CofG (vertical), but also hgiher weight, which would shift the cars weight backwards (Longitudenally). so its the total weight that is the issue.

West

Longitudianally, meaning where teh cofg is located (further forward or aft in the car). There were stories that the understeering was caused by the weight distribution; probably in the back for the launches.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

dumrick

scarbs wrote:Ignore this bull S*** that Renault purposely added weight to the rear of the car last year.
I've read it at french Sport-Auto magazine, that for me is, and been for a lot of years (since Gerard Crombac's era) a very reliable source...

kilcoo316

scarbs wrote:perhaps he was suggesting the new engine has a higher CofG (vertical), but also hgiher weight, which would shift the cars weight backwards (Longitudenally). so its the total weight that is the issue.
no, he definitely mean't the c of m of the engine back to front is more important that up and down (according to their sims)

scarbs

Thats strange, I woudl have thought an engines longitudenal CofM woudl be that variable. Aside from the cam drives and pumps, the engine is largely made from the same components (i.e piston, valve, section of crank etc).
None of their technical guys have ever expressed this issue to me.

kilcoo316

scarbs wrote:Thats strange, I woudl have thought an engines longitudenal CofM woudl be that variable. Aside from the cam drives and pumps, the engine is largely made from the same components (i.e piston, valve, section of crank etc).
None of their technical guys have ever expressed this issue to me.
yeah.... it had me kinda wondering as well.... what can you vary in the engine...?

it wouldn't be possible to have cylinders of different sizes would it??? surely the imbalances would wreck the crankshaft???

Mclaren11

ya, i dont think that you could have different sized heads, perhaps it has someting to do with the offset from bank to bank, although i've heard that the difference is only an inch or two. Might it also have someting to do wth the way that the engine is connected to the chassis, weight distribution?

ReubenG

While the engine CoM is largely determined by the heavy components (Cranshaft, block etc) the peripherals (oil/water pumps, compressors, reservoirs) also affect the CofM (albeit only by a few millimeters at most). But in F1 thos precious few millimeters can make a difference...engine component packaging is very important.

DaveKillens

x