2022 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Blackout

Re: 18-inch wheels to be introduced in 2021.

mzso
mzso

Ryar wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 08:39
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... ap_slower/

Formula 1’s new-for-2022 cars will only be half a second per lap slower than the 2021 packages, and will likely surpass their predecessor’s pace through the season, according to Pirelli.
“According to the latest simulations from the teams, the new cars will be around five tenths of a second slower than the current cars,” explained Pirelli chief Mario Isola.

“[That is a] gap that they will probably manage to overcome anyway by the end of next season.”

Pirelli’s 18-inch tyres were run by nine of the 10 teams during two days of running at Yas Marina, with the company encouraged by initial feedback.

Drivers ran mule cars – the majority of them from the 2019 season – that were modified in order to accommodate the larger and heavier wheels.

“I have to say in general we found first of all the delta lap time between compounds in line with our tyre development test, so I can say this number is quite in line with our findings during the year,” said Isola.
How would pirelli know? No-one ran next year's cars.

wogx

But the teams ran simulations.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

nokivasara
nokivasara

I wonder if the new wheels will slow down direction changes?
Surely the gyroscopic effect is greater with taller tyres?

Big Tea

Will these tyres be more prone to flatspotting? I don't know how to work it mathematically, but a gut feeling is that a bigger taller heavier unit 'feels' like it would flatspot more easily? The ride height is going to be the same is it not? so C.O.G. will not be higher overall will it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tom145145
Tom145145

nokivasara wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:43
Chain Bear did a great YouTube analysis on the pros and cons of larger diameter wheels and tyres. But I can’t remember if he looked at the change in overall diameter, terrible memory! I would say that it is probably not as significant as the other changes with the new tyres like unsprung weight increases and the rear wheels being larger diameter effecting power delivery and gearing.

Tom145145
Tom145145

Ryar

In the last few years, the weight of the F1 wheels (tyres included) have significantly increased and for 2022, it's set to increase even more. What impact is this going to have on the pit crew that has to lift and run (at race pit stops) and bring them out to fit to the cars? Shouldn't that be a factor considered seriously?
Hakuna Matata!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Ryar wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 18:03
In the last few years, the weight of the F1 wheels (tyres included) have significantly increased and for 2022, it's set to increase even more. What impact is this going to have on the pit crew that has to lift and run (at race pit stops) and bring them out to fit to the cars? Shouldn't that be a factor considered seriously?
I'd agree that those are valid points - but perhaps the major safety issue for me is the increased tether loadings to keep these massive things attached in crashes or incidents.

Another 2.5/3kg travelling at speed on top of the already hefty weight is a lot of energy.

I do wonder whether there will be a high water mark of heavyweight vehicles and that there is a global focus on reducing mass to try and get laptime instead of brute power and downforce.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

nokivasara wrote:
..... direction changes?
yes somewhat greater

giving a bit more of what we should call a small overturning moment
in proportion to the wheel rotational rate and the wheel angular rate in yaw
handily when the wheel rotational rate is low the yaw rate is high - and vice-versa

Stu

CMSMJ1 wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 18:27
Ryar wrote:
I'd agree that those are valid points - but perhaps the major safety issue for me is the increased tether loadings to keep these massive things attached in crashes or incidents.

Another 2.5/3kg travelling at speed on top of the already hefty weight is a lot of energy.

I do wonder whether there will be a high water mark of heavyweight vehicles and that there is a global focus on reducing mass to try and get laptime instead of brute power and downforce.
We can certainly hope!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mzso
mzso

Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:49
Will these tyres be more prone to flatspotting? I don't know how to work it mathematically, but a gut feeling is that a bigger taller heavier unit 'feels' like it would flatspot more easily? The ride height is going to be the same is it not? so C.O.G. will not be higher overall will it.
I think it's the opposite. It will have higher rotational inertia, also more braking force is required even with the same mass at a higher radius.

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:35
Big Tea wrote:
I think it's the opposite. It will have higher rotational inertia, also more braking force is required even with the same mass at a higher radius.
Is there (excuse my techspeak here :D ) less 'squirming room' in the wall so it will lose any movement sooner rather than 'skip'.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:53
mzso wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:35
Big Tea wrote:
Is there (excuse my techspeak here :D ) less 'squirming room' in the wall so it will lose any movement sooner rather than 'skip'.
Never thought of the change to the sidewall compression under braking... Would the rate increase be additive with the 3rd springs?

JordanMugen

nokivasara wrote:
Ryar wrote:
What impact is this going to have on the pit crew that has to lift and run (at race pit stops) and bring them out to fit to the cars? Shouldn't that be a factor considered seriously?
Big Tea wrote:
Will these tyres be more prone to flatspotting? I don't know how to work it mathematically, but a gut feeling is that a bigger taller heavier unit 'feels' like it would flatspot more easily?
Can't all these questions be answered by watching F2, who have been using the tyres for two seasons? :)

In F2, it didn't seem to make all that much difference really.