WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Morteza

Re: WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

Driver and team principal at the same time 8)

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

First images of Porsche Hypercar

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Stu

They are using the MultiMatic chassis as a base, I believe. I wonder what engine they are using (I think LMDh calls for a ‘family’ engine from the entrant). I really hope that they keep the disruptive paint - although they obviously won’t!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

NL_Fer

Any info about which ICE configuration is most ideal?

Yeah output power is capped, but weight, COG and consumption can still make a difference.

I think Porsche will choose a 4 cilinder. Either boxer, v4 or a inline.

jjn9128

NL_Fer wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 14:02

Yeah output power is capped, but weight, COG and consumption can still make a difference.

I think a boxer doesn't work with the underbody even with WEC.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wogx

Morteza wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 22:10
First images of Porsche Hypercar

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

AMG.Tzan

Wow such a nice Porsche LMP-2 car :lol:

Although LMDh will give many manufacturers the chance to run cheap programs and still compete for the win at Le Mans, I get the feeling that LMDh and Hypercars will look so much different! I thought LMDh will give the design freedom to manufacturers like Hypercar does!

I mean look at Peugeot! The car looks so much different from anything we've ever seen before and that's a nice thing, since that's what the Hypercar rules were meant to do! Make cars look more like road going hypercars!

I guess Lawrence Stroll scrapping Aston Martin's Hypercar program robbed us of a nice new breed of cars...! After that everyone went to LMDh and ACO had to accept the Hypercar-LMDh equalization! :?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

antaracer

Porsche showed interesting sketches. It's a pity that the real races will have to wait until 2023.

Edax

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 02:13
Wow such a nice Porsche LMP-2 car :lol:

Although LMDh will give many manufacturers the chance to run cheap programs and still compete for the win at Le Mans, I get the feeling that LMDh and Hypercars will look so much different! I thought LMDh will give the design freedom to manufacturers like Hypercar does!

I mean look at Peugeot! The car looks so much different from anything we've ever seen before and that's a nice thing, since that's what the Hypercar rules were meant to do! Make cars look more like road going hypercars!

I guess Lawrence Stroll scrapping Aston Martin's Hypercar program robbed us of a nice new breed of cars...! After that everyone went to LMDh and ACO had to accept the Hypercar-LMDh equalization! :?
That was my thought as well. Pessimistically I see this heading in the direction of the LMP2. Very airo dominated cars where they have to cap the engines. And then they wonder about the lack of overtakes.

Which is more or less the opposite of what I would like, a revival of group C or Can Am type of monsters which where only limited by the guts of the driver.

I think they should define a minimum aerodynamic cross-section in the plane say 10 cm or so before the rear wheels. That would prevent them from digging into the body tho get the maximum flow to the diffusor. And increase the width requirements for the cockpit.

Otherwise every car will end up looking like a vacuum-wrapped single seater.

Edax

And make sure that in the balance of performance rules, cars with an exposed velocity stack get an additional bonus. :D

Morteza

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 14:54
NL_Fer wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 14:02

I think a boxer doesn't work with the underbody even with WEC.
Looking at their engine range I would imagine they will be going with a derivative of the Cayenne V8 or the Taycan V6, looking at the capacity of these maybe a single turbo on the V8 or twin on the V6.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

NL_Fer

Audi also have that brilliant i4 DTM engine. It is brand new and much lighter than a V8.

fritticaldi

The new Peugeot 9X8 with car # 93 and #94 will debut in 2022. The exact date for the return of the Lion is unknown. The drivers are Paul di Resta , Loic Duval , Jean -Eric Vergne , Mikkel Jensen , Kevin Magnussen , Gustavo Menezes and James Rossiter. The spectacular French car was presented without a rear wing but there are rumours that the plans may have changed.

Stu

fritticaldi wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 20:51
The new Peugeot 9X8 with car # 93 and #94 will debut in 2022. The exact date for the return of the Lion is unknown. The drivers are Paul di Resta , Loic Duval , Jean -Eric Vergne , Mikkel Jensen , Kevin Magnussen , Gustavo Menezes and James Rossiter. The spectacular French car was presented without a rear wing but there are rumours that the plans may have changed.
Great line-up, but a big boo! from me if they chicken out and add a rear wing!!