F1 in the age of "Reality TV"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: F1 in the age of "Reality TV"

Stu wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 20:39
Anywho, back on-topic. Surely ‘Reality TV’-age F1 has got to be about the polish of the unsubstantiated?
Reality TV is TV created by TV and becomes seen as reality, so they make TV from it and then it is not real enough so needs tweaking. It is about as un reality as it gets. It is in the script.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zeph

Stu wrote:
Anywho, back on-topic. Surely ‘Reality TV’-age F1 has got to be about the polish of the unsubstantiated?
Do elucidate...

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 20:56
Stu wrote:
Reality TV is TV created by TV and becomes seen as reality, so they make TV from it and then it is not real enough so needs tweaking. It is about as un reality as it gets. It is in the script.
In the UK there is a programme called Gogglebox. It's a TV show showing ordinary people watching TV and making comments to each other about what they're watching. I's the same circular idea that you're putting forward there.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Stu

zeph wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 21:05
Stu wrote:
Do elucidate...
Rumour becomes half-truth becomes conspiracy… all for the likes & comments (which is all that matters)
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

Stu wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 22:29
zeph wrote:
Stu wrote:
Do elucidate...
Rumour becomes half-truth becomes conspiracy… all for the likes & comments (which is all that matters)
If a headline has a question mark, the answer is usually no, but by then it has been reposted 100 times

zeph

Stu wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 22:29
zeph wrote:
Stu wrote:
Do elucidate...
And how does that pertain to F1?

Mogster

Scorpaguy wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 16:42
Michael Masi: "Toto, it's called a motor race. We went car racing."
I think this quote has been a bit ignored. I also am a bit flummoxed as to where the big orange wave of defenders has been? Had the lappers remained in place, would the forum today be filled with as much vitriol...just reversed?
As far as I can gather they seem to mostly be following a “nothing to see here” stance, either that or it’s OK as Max was “wronged” so many times during the season that Masi’s actions add balance. The question, “would this still be OK if the situations were reversed” tends to go unanswered.

Andres125sx

Big Tea wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 14:05
Stu wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 14:01
How do you build a engine to a technical specification that is not yet written, OR, why build one to an imagined set of regulations that contradict those being discussed?
Well Mercedes seemingly managed according to some :mrgreen:
I didn´t remember, but Mercedes got privileged information at the beginning of this era, that surely plays a role :wink:

Bernie Ecclestone wrote:They knew a bit more about the [proposed] power unit because the Mercedes people were in close contact with the FIA in defining the concept of this engine.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/eccl ... re/517030/

Ringleheim

F1 has been a bit of a mickey mouse circus almost since its inception.

It has definitely gotten worse in recent years however, and the way the end of the race was handled is a joke.

Not a sport---but a joke.

And I am NO Hamilton or Mercedes fan, for sure! Nor Max and Red Bull! I'm a Ferrari supporter who didn't really care who won one way or the other...but what a mickey mouse form of entertainment.

Big Tea

Ringleheim wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 08:01
F1 has been a bit of a mickey mouse circus almost since its inception.

It has definitely gotten worse in recent years however, and the way the end of the race was handled is a joke.

Not a sport---but a joke.

And I am NO Hamilton or Mercedes fan, for sure! Nor Max and Red Bull! I'm a Ferrari supporter who didn't really care who won one way or the other...but what a mickey mouse form of entertainment.
Mickey mouse has a current value of US $93 billion. But your point stands :mrgreen: