2022 pecking order speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who comes out on top in the new regs?

Mercedes
26%
Red Bull
23%
Ferrari
28%
McLaren
13%
Aston Martin
2%
Williams
2%
Haas
2%
Alfa Romeo
0%
Alpine
4%
Alpha Tauri
0%

Total votes: 446

Ryar

Re: 2022 pecking order speculation

_cerber1 wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 12:20
It's interesting that Mercedes got to know about this, if true! But how?
Hakuna Matata!

torpor

Maybe because AM shared their findings with Mercedes?

Without a doubt there's still a strong connection between these teams.

Jambier

_cerber1 wrote:
I’ve seen the same with Ferrari thinking Alpine and Mercedes.

Seems like a fake news

El Scorchio

I’m sure it’s all smoke and mirrors and deflection tactics from all corners. Everyone wants to hide the pace they think they’ve got. A couple of nice surprises earlier in the season would be great a la Brawn but recent history suggests MB and RBR will develop and adapt at a rate of knots and catch anyone else up sooner or later.

El Scorchio

_cerber1 wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 12:27
Liveries gallery
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -tombazis/
Well at least the don’t look like toy cars from the top down view, which is at least something. Shame it’s the angle we’ll be seeing least of.

Stu

Ryar wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 13:03
_cerber1 wrote:
It couldn’t possibly be due to them using the same wind tunnel….

This story of “two teams have found a magic bullet” has now been reported from several different teams; however if true it is unlikely to be Ferrari & Aston Martin, more likely to be be teams that share wind tunnel facilities (so Ferrari/Haas, Mercedes/Aston Martin & Red Bull/Alpa Tauri).

Will Williams be getting the 2022 Mercedes gearbox?
Which gearbox do McLaren use?
Which gearbox do Alfa Romeo/Sauber use?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Jolle

Stu wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 15:01
Ryar wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 13:03
_cerber1 wrote:
It couldn’t possibly be due to them using the same wind tunnel….

This story of “two teams have found a magic bullet” has now been reported from several different teams; however if true it is unlikely to be Ferrari & Aston Martin, more likely to be be teams that share wind tunnel facilities (so Ferrari/Haas, Mercedes/Aston Martin & Red Bull/Alpa Tauri).

Will Williams be getting the 2022 Mercedes gearbox?
Which gearbox do McLaren use?
Which gearbox do Alfa Romeo/Sauber use?
For the gearboxes:
Williams will be using the Mercedes gearbox. McLaren uses their own. Alfa has the Ferrari rear end.

McLaren is the only non-works team that doesn’t use the gearbox from the engine manufacturer.

LM10

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 14:21
I’m sure it’s all smoke and mirrors and deflection tactics from all corners. Everyone wants to hide the pace they think they’ve got. A couple of nice surprises earlier in the season would be great a la Brawn but recent history suggests MB and RBR will develop and adapt at a rate of knots and catch anyone else up sooner or later.
If history repeated itself, we would only see the same champions for decades.

El Scorchio

LM10 wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 15:31
El Scorchio wrote:
That’s why I said recent history. Where every single one of the last 12 WDC or WCC has been won by RBR or MB. There’s no doubt that if either of those teams doesn’t start as the benchmark that one or both will be right up there with the pace setters within a year.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 16:36
LM10 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
That’s why I said recent history. Where every single one of the last 12 WDC or WCC has been won by RBR or MB. There’s no doubt that if either of those teams doesn’t start as the benchmark that one or both will be right up there with the pace setters within a year.
Even in these year though, there were times when it was 2 drivers fighting, which was good, and times when there was never a contest, be it due to orders skill or chance which was not. If two teams allow both drivers to compete it could still be a good season
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

LM10

El Scorchio wrote:
LM10 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
Yea, because in the last 12 years we had two phases dominated by each of those teams one after another, not in a mixed fashion. With the totally new rules we will have a new phase again.

El Scorchio

LM10 wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 16:59
El Scorchio wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Yea, because in the last 12 years we had two phases dominated by each of those teams one after another, not in a mixed fashion. With the totally new rules we will have a new phase again.
And in that new phase, I’d logically back the two teams with by far the best recent track record to be right at the sharp end again sooner or later. They’ve been shown to be the class of the field at innovating, adapting and developing.

A magic bullet found by another team a la Brawn 2009 will undoubtedly give a head start, but they WILL be chased down by RBR and MB. I’m not really sure why anyone would think otherwise.

Ryar

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 17:32
A magic bullet found by another team a la Brawn 2009 will undoubtedly give a head start, but they WILL be chased down by RBR and MB. I’m not really sure why anyone would think otherwise.
The only funny thing would be if that, "brawn 2009" kind of stuff happens in a homologated part.
Hakuna Matata!

cooken

The ability to recover an initial performance gap will be severely hindered by the budget cap.

LM10

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 17:32
LM10 wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 16:59
El Scorchio wrote:

And in that new phase, I’d logically back the two teams with by far the best recent track record to be right at the sharp end again sooner or later. They’ve been shown to be the class of the field at innovating, adapting and developing.

The biggest factor which has made Mercedes and RedBull as competitive as they’ve been, is gone: unlimited amount of money.

The question is, if any of the big teams have found a way to kind of circumvent the budget cap to a certain extent. Of course, even if not, they’ll still have the advantage of better tools overall.

I’m excited!