2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1NAC

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

jumpingfish wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 10:03
F1NAC wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 09:22
jumpingfish wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 14:25

I think so too. When in some countries Ferrari was forced to remove the MW logos, I thought that their partnership with PMI would not last long. I wonder if white will return to cars? And what shade of red will be used?
Isn't that matte paint performance related, not sponsor? I expect that te red will be the same. Since Santander bacame their premium partner (Is that somekind of title sponsor, or little below that level? ) I expect white. Definitely on wings.
Yes, matte instead of gloss was for the sake of weight reduction, but I meant a shade of red (dark or bright red). And for Santander I'm not sure that premium = title, maybe lower as you said. :)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0035/ ... _Pista.JPG
Oooooh that Pista... that color reminded me on darker shade of red on F2007. The best livery ever... ohhh if only...

JPower

New info:
. As confirmed by the Italian side’s team principal Mattia Binotto during the end of the year press conference, in fact, the 2022 Formula 1 car will be presented between 16 and 18 February, about a week before the first pre-season testing session which takes place at Montmeló and will definitively mark the first moment of a campaign that for Ferrari has to be a real turning point. The name of the car has not yet been chosen.
The Italian side’s Team Principal explains that the 2022 Ferrari was born to dare, it reflects a new “open-minded” philosophy:
“In the wind tunnel we tried out hundreds of concepts before deciding on the final solutions. It‘s a completely innovative project.”

The 2022 Ferrari engine will be one of the strong points: rebuilt from scratch, the V6 will be integrated with the hybrid part introduced at the end of September in Sochi. The hybrid part will also be evolved to close the power gap with Mercedes and Honda.
“We have Charles with a long-term contract and with Carlos we will discuss the extension of the agreement during the winter. He did very well during his first season and I’m happy with how he integrated and behaved. We will certainly sit down and try to find a the right solution. Whether it will be a year or two will depend on the discussions. But it will be a simple discussion” – the Ferrari boss assured the fans and media.

jumpingfish

Another premium partner, but not title..

jumpingfish

FERRARI AND ITS PLANS
Posted on December 27, 2021 by Joe Saward
Ferrari has been announcing some premium partnership deals in recent days, with Santander being joined by the block chain company Velas.

But don’t think that this is replacing Philip Morris International, which used to use Marlboro but in recent years has used the rather vague Mission Winnow concept.

Look on the Ferrari website and you will see that there is a big white space under the title ‘Sponsor’ and then there are two levels of partners, with the premium getting bigger logos. So the main sponsorship of Ferrari is up for grabs, or perhaps it is already decided and yet to be announced. This is the most likely thing as it is an opportunity that is worth its weight in gold to companies that can afford it.

Thus we can expect a sponsorship announcement, rather than another partnership deal… but while this will gather headlines it is more likely that Ferrari will be in the spotlight when it announces that former FIA President Jean Todt will return to Maranello is some sort of super-consultant role, which will involve both the racing team and the car company. Expect to see Jean appearing at races in 2022

The FIA might have age limits but obviously Ferrari does not…
He writes about it with such confidence...

JPower

What name do you all think the new car is going with?

I’m thinking SF75.

Schippke

Honestly, this question should be part of the early betting options, as well as predicting who the next World Champion will be. :lol:

Just look at this (mess):

2010 - F10
2011 - 150°Italia (Saved from being the F150)
2012 - F2012
2013 - F138
2014 - F14 T (Fan vote; Basically read like FIAT)
2015 - SF15-T
2016 - SF16-H
2017 - SF70H
2018 - SF71H
2019 - SF90
2020 - SF1000
2021 - SF21

So for 2022... I'm sure there'll be some sort of commemoration of something, either the 75th in the sport (as JPower said), or in celebration of the new rules (something similar to what they did in 2014)... or just SF22.

Personally, I wish they just went back to their F2*** Designation from the first decade of the new millennium... so something like F2022 or F2022-H

Sidenote - I actually thought they might've done something interesting in 2019 to signify the passing of Sergio Marchionne - SF90-SM (like they did with F2003-GA for the passing of Gianni Agnelli - Chairman of Fiat).

aleks_ader

I dont like SF75. All celebrations should ne by factor 10 not 5. :D But name doesnt matter IMO SF22 would be simply enough.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

SmOgER

So lately we heard very measured things from Binotto regarding their progress. Are there any rumors at all suggesting they could be title contenders next year though? Surely that's gotta be their best chance for years with that reg change, right? Or are they gonna be fighting for 3rd in constructors forever now lol? I mean, it almost looks like this guy is happy with where they are currently to be completely honest. No talks about radical changes, instead he keeps mentioning minor things like fuel change (introduction of E10 fuels as per reg changes) where all teams are forced to develop and highlighting that as a supposed improvement from the current car. One could think he's representing Alpine or Alpha Tauri.
Last edited by SmOgER on 30 Dec 2021, 23:53, edited 2 times in total.

LM10

SmOgER wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 23:32
So lately we heard very measured things from Binotto regarding their progress. Are there any rumors at all suggesting they could be title contenders next year though? Surely that's gotta be their best chance for years with that reg change, right? Or are they gonna be fighting for 3rd in constructors forever now lol? I mean, it almost looks like this guy is happy with where they are currently to be completely honest. One could think he's representing Alpine or Alpha Tauri.
Binotto could have not said more often that their performance from last 2 seasons was unacceptable for Ferrari and that their clear goal is to fight for the title next year.

So to me it absolutely does not look like he’s happy with where they were in terms of pure performance in 2021 as he knows Ferrari does not belong there. However, he’s happy with the step forward they’ve made in every aspect compared to 2020 and it seems like he’s happy with their overall preparation for 2022.

SmOgER

LM10 wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 23:51
SmOgER wrote:
So lately we heard very measured things from Binotto regarding their progress. Are there any rumors at all suggesting they could be title contenders next year though? Surely that's gotta be their best chance for years with that reg change, right? Or are they gonna be fighting for 3rd in constructors forever now lol? I mean, it almost looks like this guy is happy with where they are currently to be completely honest. One could think he's representing Alpine or Alpha Tauri.
Binotto could have not said more often that their performance from last 2 seasons was unacceptable for Ferrari and that their clear goal is to fight for the title next year.

So to me it absolutely does not look like he’s happy with where they were in terms of pure performance in 2021 as he knows Ferrari does not belong there. However, he’s happy with the step forward they’ve made in every aspect compared to 2020 and it seems like he’s happy with their overall preparation for 2022.
But that just doesn't sound quite right. If 2020 was a flop due to 2019 EPU not being entirely legal (which is also weird for a team like Ferrari with veto rights to allow itself to be done and embarrased like that even if indeed there was something sketchy), then why should 2021 be compared to anything other than 2014-2018 years were Ferrari was quite clearly the 2nd best to Mercedes (most of the time) instead of scraping for 3-4th the whole season with McL, miles behind Red Bull?

JPower

SmOgER wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 00:00
LM10 wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 23:51
SmOgER wrote:

But that just doesn't sound quite right. If 2020 was a flop due to 2019 EPU not being entirely legal (which is also weird for a team like Ferrari with veto rights to allow itself to be done and embarrased like that even if indeed there was something sketchy), then why should 2021 be compared to anything other than 2014-2018 years were Ferrari was quite clearly the 2nd best to Mercedes (most of the time) instead of scraping for 3-4th the whole season with McL, miles behind Red Bull?
Mainly because the SF21 is still the SF1000 with minor modifications. Ferrari did not have the unlimited budget or development bandwidth to change the car as they might've done otherwise due to tokens and focus on the 2022 project.

ScottR267

https://www.ferrari.com/en-GB/formula1/partners

PMI (as expected) but also UPS both no longer sponsors

JPBD1990

SmOgER wrote:
So lately we heard very measured things from Binotto regarding their progress. Are there any rumors at all suggesting they could be title contenders next year though? Surely that's gotta be their best chance for years with that reg change, right? Or are they gonna be fighting for 3rd in constructors forever now lol? I mean, it almost looks like this guy is happy with where they are currently to be completely honest. No talks about radical changes, instead he keeps mentioning minor things like fuel change (introduction of E10 fuels as per reg changes) where all teams are forced to develop and highlighting that as a supposed improvement from the current car. One could think he's representing Alpine or Alpha Tauri.
Statements like this are exactly what Binotto’s philosophy is trying to differentiate from. The ‘heads will roll’ and ‘radical changes’ of the past have stopped in place of measured, focused, progression. He has said as much with respect to the 2022 project and how they approached it - and the culture ‘reset’ in general. Eg embracing open-mindedness, getting rid of blame culture, focusing on innovation, etc.

none of that happens if a) nobody wants to voice their idea for fear of retribution, and b) you need to make ‘radical changes’ (aka sack people and constantly restructure) every 6 months to please stakeholders, and least of all, us.

Jolle

The possible split between PMI and Ferrari is bigger then just a sponsor leaving. PMI has run the whole marketing for the team since 1996, when they switched from McLaren to Ferrari as their main focus (although they were on the car for a few decades before).

PMI is much more like RedBull in the way they managed their F1 exposure. Back in 1980 they funded Project Four in the takeover of McLaren and basically hired them to run their F1 team. Drivers ans sponsors all had deals with PMI in Lausanne and not with McLaren.

Before PMI switched this approach from McLaren to Ferrari, Ferrari was no match for the might of PMI and later Renault and were not in any position to fight for championships and for almost two decades had the occasional win.

The past few seasons we’ve seen some of the transition and friction of power between PMI and Ferrari. Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen were clear PMI choices. They, from the moment they entered F1 as more then a sponsor, believed that putting as many WC in the team as possible is the way to go. They lured Lauda back in F1, Rosberg next to Prost, Mansell in the weirdest deal for the last decades and when the focus shifted to Ferrari, Senna and after his death, Schumacher (and made Prost an offer to be his teammate). The only other years they didn’t have a WC under contract was 1995/6 (there just weren’t any… and it was the end if their time with McLaren) and 2007 (again, only Alonso was a WC at the time but they tried to keep Schumacher, who didn’t want an equal number one status).

PMI took firm control of Ferrari after Alonso left. Putting (after a few tries from Ferrari themselves) Ariverbenne in charge of the team, getting Vettel next to their favourite driver Kimi. My guess is that something broke down during those seasons between the two parties. Vettel got a very messy “goodby” after Ari got replaced by a real Ferrari guy. No more WC in the car. Good chance both Sainz and Leclerc are the first drivers not picked by PMI since Alesi and Berger.

So… what is the future going to be? Back to the day when the 27 and 28 car were good outsiders or a new found strength?

Looking at the past few seasons, so far it looks like the first.. with Mercedes and RedBull playing the historical part of McLaren and Williams.

JPBD1990

Very interesting and the historical significance of cigarette advertising, power, and money in F1 are important. However, Ferrari as a company in its own right was very different in that historical context than it is today. At many points in Ferrari’s history they were on the brink of going under. That is certainly not the case now.

I think Ferrari has the money, the technology, and the confidence to make this change. I look even at the road car division - I think the SF90 Stradale and the incoming SUV are statements of intent. This is a new, publicly traded, cashed up, technology-forward Ferrari. They have the facilities to go toe to toe with merc, redbull, and anyone else.

I think this is a further step towards political stability, going to my earlier post about Binotto (and those above him) new focus. I see it as a positive.

That’s not to say that I don’t see and acknowledge the undeniable importance of PMI in Ferrari’s and others historical success, onto to say that the world is very different now, and I think this is much less significant than it may have been a decade or two ago