Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2021 season?

Selective silent deleting going on again, I see. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 21:33
Selective silent deleting going on again, I see. :roll:
Probably for the best.

El Scorchio

Just to switch the subject- I see the Extreme E have cancelled their Brazil stage. Slightly different kettle of fish but do we think the Brazilian GP is in peril at all at this moment, three weeks out from the race? I’d imagine they’d have pulled the trigger already, but…

adrianjordan

El Scorchio wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 17:22
Just to switch the subject- I see the Extreme E have cancelled their Brazil stage. Slightly different kettle of fish but do we think the Brazilian GP is in peril at all at this moment, three weeks out from the race? I’d imagine they’d have pulled the trigger already, but…
I think the only threat to the GP would be if Brazil suddenly went back onto the red travel list or equivalent.

F1 seems to have it's globe-trotting bubble down to a well oiled process now.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

Have all the drivers been vaccinated by now?
And which drivers have had/not contracted Covid?

in comparison to UAE and Jeddah, Brazil has indeed very high COVID numbers right now, but it's NOTHING compared to the 80k+ covid numbers the USA had whilst racing in Austin, and afaik nothing ground braking happened, so i don't see how one should be worried at all more over Brazil than the USA.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 11:26

in comparison to UAE and Jeddah, Brazil has indeed very high COVID numbers right now, but it's NOTHING compared to the 80k+ covid numbers the USA had whilst racing in Austin, and afaik nothing ground braking happened, so i don't see how one should be worried at all more over Brazil than the USA.
I'm afraid the show must go on.

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 11:26

Numbers do not tell the whole story. For instance, UK has high numbers but the testing numbers are very high, so more cases are found and reported. Also in UK a high % is in kids 10-16 group (passed on in schools).

Yes they are cases, but if the high numbers were in 20-40 group who run entertainment and hotel or catering it would be a worse scenario as those are the people you would contact. If a country has low testing and a decentralised population the reported/discovered numbers are going to be low but 'actual' numbers could be much higher along with the chance of passing it on to visitors or event goers
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Scorpaguy

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

I realize we need to rename this particular forum...but has anyone begun hearing grumblings about the recent surge impacting 2022 schedules?

hollus

Scorpaguy wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 00:09
I realize we need to rename this particular forum...but has anyone begun hearing grumblings about the recent surge impacting 2022 schedules?
Let’s see if renaming from here works.
Rivals, not enemies.

nzjrs

I'd post my last link (again) about the base rate and what expected case numbers look like now we have a (very more) likely endemic variant... But it would get wrongly silently deleted again.

Lol, still it was prescient as I have tended to be on this topic ;-)

Tldr: Countries which have started to move their policy and messaging from case numbers to ICU beds or excess deaths are safer from Grand Prix cancellation. Those that stick to case numbers are stupid for not establishing a base rate for an endemic (now) virus.

El Scorchio

Australia and Canada are the two that leap out in the earlier part of the season in terms of local governments or advisory bodies cancelling a race.

However I wonder more with omicron whether we are likely to see more drivers, team personnel or F1 personnel having to isolate and miss races than before. Surely not to a point where a race is called off, but I expect more drivers in 2022 to have to miss time, unless the Omicron wave blows over pretty quickly.

PlatinumZealot

Guys I am recovering from Covid as I post this. I really want to say... One million bigups to the drivers who returned to perform at their best under their long covid. It definitely does a notch in the fitness and focus levels. And finally with Omicron i dont see full stadiums in the usually cautious places like Melbourne. Can't see it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

El Scorchio

On this- and with the Djokovic saga currently happening in Australia- do we know if any of the drivers are unvaccinated, and if so are they likely to be denied entry to any countries like Australia? If they are unvaccinated there's no way they'll meet exemption criteria.

mclaren111

PM shared - post deleted

Thanks CMSMJ1

LM10

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 12:46
On this- and with the Djokovic saga currently happening in Australia- do we know if any of the drivers are unvaccinated, and if so are they likely to be denied entry to any countries like Australia? If they are unvaccinated there's no way they'll meet exemption criteria.
I don’t think there are any drivers or team members who are not vaccinated. F1 consists of educated people who think along the lines of science.