Post rating system changes

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
SiLo

Re: Post rating system changes

west52keep64 wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 12:40
Wouter wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 11:04
The "General Honda F1 Topic" doesn't appear to be a technical topic, but quite a lot of technically valuable stuff has been posted there in recent years by Japanese members, but especially by Honda's @Wazari, who updated us on the situation/upgrades, etc of the Honda PU in both General and Technical Honda topics. This topic should be part of the technical section, because there are really a lot of technical posts in it. Is this possible to move this to a technical section?
I disagree, it's a general topic and if people posted in the wrong topic that's kind of part of the problem this change is hoping to solve. A lot of the upvotes in that thread on are on things like shared social media posts and pictures of Max and Sergio walking around in their overalls, which is not very technical if you ask me.
Steven wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 10:29
"General Chat" still needs some cleanup, which in some cases means moving threads to a technical section as well. When all this is done, voting will be disabled there too.
You probably should have kept this under your hat, now everyone is going to be lobbying you to move threads they voted in so their rating isn't reduced.

To paraphrase Toto Wolff in a recent radio communication with the F1 race director, expect plenty of this:
No Steven! No no Steven that was so not right!
If people care so much about their rating, maybe they can care a little bit about where they are posting technical content.
Felipe Baby!

jumpingfish

Is it possible to remove negative votes from the entire forum at all? Or to have there under nickname two counters, positive and negative votes. And the reasons for the negative assessment should be described in detail and constructively, and not just any nonsense to fill out that form.
Recently, there has been a situation with these votes when a person complained that someone negatively assessed his post and users began to massively raise his rating as a sign of solidarity. It's like a manipulation tool, when fans of driver A are coordinated against posters of fans of driver B and vice versa.
Votes for and against should be strongly limited per day, so that before pressing a button, a person wisely thinks whether it is worth spending or not. Then helpful posts will be really appreciated.

Wouter

SiLo wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 13:13
Wouter wrote:
The "General Honda F1 Topic" doesn't appear to be a technical topic, but quite a lot of technically valuable stuff has been posted there in recent years by Japanese members, but especially by Honda's @Wazari, who updated us on the situation/upgrades, etc of the Honda PU in both General and Technical Honda topics. This topic should be part of the technical section, because there are really a lot of technical posts in it. Is this possible to move this to a technical section?
If people care so much about their rating, maybe they can care a little bit about where they are posting technical content.
My point is that @Wazari has posted a lot of important technical stuff about the Honda PU in the General Honda topic, when people were asking him to do so. He got a lot of upvotes for that, so other members can see that he posted reliable technical information, because that's the intention of this new system, isn't it?
If that General topic is not placed in a technical section, a lot of his upvotes will expire and people will take his posts less seriously. It's not about MY votes btw, it's about @Wazari's votes.
The Power of Dreams!

SiLo

Wouter wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 14:49
SiLo wrote:
Wouter wrote:
My point is that @Wazari has posted a lot of important technical stuff about the Honda PU in the General Honda topic, when people were asking him to do so. He got a lot of upvotes for that, so other members can see that he posted reliable technical information, because that's the intention of this new system, isn't it?
If that General topic is not placed in a technical section, a lot of his upvotes will expire and people will take his posts less seriously. It's not about MY votes btw, it's about @Wazari's votes.
So he posted it in the wrong thread? Why is it so hard to post it in the right thread? The same people asking for it in the General one can just navigate to the correct thread and view it. You can even post a link in the general topic to the technical one.
Felipe Baby!

west52keep64

Wouter wrote:
Maybe that's true, but those posts are impossible to find right now because if I look for highly rated posts in that thread I just find pictures of Max standing infront of Piquet's FW11B, or pictures of Red Bull team members holding a birthday cake.

Perhaps the valuable posts could be moved to the correct thread with the ratings left intact, but I don't think moving the general thread in to the tech section is the answer, it sets the wrong example for the tech section.

Honestly I think Steven should stick to his guns on this one and keep the general stuff in general and remove all the ratings. People can post in the correct place going forwards and those posts will receive ratings if they are valuable.

EDIT: Looking at Wazari's votes, there are many across the tech threads, and not as many in the general topic as you suggest. Many of the posts in the general topic are probably just repeating what was posted in the correct threads.

siskue2005

This is great news
I have been pestering mods for a long time to take a look at all kinds of agreement up votes which happens in particular groups where they agree which each other and keep on upcoming to inflate their rating and then downvoting anyone who dares to have a different opinion...... and I too then started doing the same, but to not that extent.. but now this is great news... look at some of the ratings it's gone from 700, 800 to just 100 :P

Mine came down from 200 to low 100s which is about the right for me i would imagine.
Great work mods

siskue2005

Wouter wrote:
SiLo wrote:
Wouter wrote:
If that's the case then everyone's technical posts in general chat should be moved and rated up! Which is impossible..so that might not happen.. so he should from here on post on the right topic and increase his rating from here on.

The people who read anyone in the forum will take it seriously if the content is of great quality.. so I wouldn't mind

CMSMJ1

The rating is supposed to signpost high quality posts - not necessarily the poster. I am sure Wazari-san will not mind what the number is next to his name. He is surely less bothered about that than some may have been.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Marty_Y

I welcome the changes, but fear that this will inevitably lead to a counterproductive outcome. I think that the team threads will end up descending into the same trolling heaven that the race threads turn into because people won't be worried about being downvoted.

I agree that the general Honda thread should stay in the general chat section and have the rating disabled because it isn't technical, most of it is just social media stuff that normally has also been posted elsewhere. If the rating is disabled it might cut down the amount of spam that is duplicated across several threads.

Big Tea

I am not sure about the removal of of the downvote option, it may well become a quagmire for you mods as the report option would then become the default. The rest of it is a good move.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

The team threads (well two of them in particular) are already experiencing high volumes of trolling-style posts. Most team threads contain mostly positive contributions though.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Wouter

CMSMJ1 wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 15:44
The rating is supposed to signpost high quality posts - not necessarily the poster. I am sure Wazari-san will not mind what the number is next to his name. He is surely less bothered about that than some may have been.
From the FAQ on this site:

Post rating system

What is a post rating?
The rating of a post if displayed by a grey dot containing the total rating for that post. It is the result of members voting that post up or down. As such, a highly rated post reflects the belief of the community that this is a valuable and interesting contribution.

What is reputation?
Reputation is a rough measurement of how much the community trusts you; it is earned by convincing your peers
that you know what you’re talking about. It is earned when other members vote your posts up.
At any point in time that you have enough reputation yourself, you have the possibility to vote on other posts too, influencing their reputation as well.
Why is this on everybody's profile?

User statistics

I think that's for it so that everyone can see how many times and how many ups and downs you've gotten for a single post,
so you can judge the poster whether he is sharing reliable information.

Anyway, we're straying from the intent of this thread, so I'll leave it at that.
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

I'm actually kind of glad this has happened, as i think this will quash some of the antagonistic social media posting.
197 104 103 7

CMSMJ1

Wouter wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 16:39
CMSMJ1 wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 15:44
From the FAQ on this site:

Post rating system

What is a post rating?
The rating of a post if displayed by a grey dot containing the total rating for that post. It is the result of members voting that post up or down. As such, a highly rated post reflects the belief of the community that this is a valuable and interesting contribution.

What is reputation?
Reputation is a rough measurement of how much the community trusts you; it is earned by convincing your peers
that you know what you’re talking about. It is earned when other members vote your posts up.
At any point in time that you have enough reputation yourself, you have the possibility to vote on other posts too, influencing their reputation as well.
Why is this on everybody's profile?

User statistics

I think that's for it so that everyone can see how many times and how many ups and downs you've gotten for a single post,
so you can judge the poster whether he is sharing reliable information.

Anyway, we're straying from the intent of this thread, so I'll leave it at that.
That's a fair point, well made. 8) However it is not delivering that at present, hence the changes. I see, and am sure you do, too many reciprocal upvotes and similar downvotes that are not based upon any technical merit.

We should see the original intent come clearer when the techincal posts are the ones rated, and not the pesonal ones.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
west52keep64 wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 12:40
Wouter wrote:
I disagree, it's a general topic and if people posted in the wrong topic that's kind of part of the problem this change is hoping to solve. A lot of the upvotes in that thread on are on things like shared social media posts and pictures of Max and Sergio walking around in their overalls, which is not very technical if you ask me.
Steven wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 10:29
"General Chat" still needs some cleanup, which in some cases means moving threads to a technical section as well. When all this is done, voting will be disabled there too.
You probably should have kept this under your hat, now everyone is going to be lobbying you to move threads they voted in so their rating isn't reduced.

To paraphrase Toto Wolff in a recent radio communication with the F1 race director, expect plenty of this:
No Steven! No no Steven that was so not right!
Totally. If people are worried about the little number next to their name then they can just adjust their posting style accordingly. But I don't think one should be posting with an eye on achieving a high reputation number anyway. Also a lot of the time there doesn't seem to be a great deal of correlation between a high number and the quality of what is posted, especially in the general chat areas of the board, so this seems to be a really positive move.