F1TV Discounts out yet - 2022?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kptaylor

F1TV Discounts out yet - 2022?

Has anyone heard whether F1TV will have a discount code for the upcoming race year? I'm willing to give it another shot this year to see if things have improved but a discount would be nice!

MtthsMlw

Re: F1TV Discounts out yet - 2022?

Don't know about any discounts sorry but in the past season I had no issues.

cooken

I think the early bird discounts are usually early in the calendar year prior to pre-season testing.

But...I'm waiting to see what change are made by the FIA with their little commission before I give them another cent.

Zynerji

The app worked super well in 2021. If only it was available on FireTV without hax...

Cuky

App worked well last year, as well as watching on desktop through browser. But what irks me is that there is no official app for smart TVs. I know there is the possibility to cast screen from phone to TV, but that isn't the best option tbh

Mogster

Will FOM ever sort something out for UK Sky F1 subscribers?

Big Tea

Mogster wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 11:57
Yes, another price rise :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Cuky wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 11:47
App worked well last year, as well as watching on desktop through browser. But what irks me is that there is no official app for smart TVs. I know there is the possibility to cast screen from phone to TV, but that isn't the best option tbh
Since the last few races last season there is an Apple TV app, which works well!

Cuky

The thing is, I'm on Android TV (Sony Bravia to be exact). For now my workaround is to have my PC connected to one of HDMI ports, so I just move my browser window to that screen and watch it that way. Not perfect, but works for now

Big Tea

Cuky wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 19:58
The thing is, I'm on Android TV (Sony Bravia to be exact). For now my workaround is to have my PC connected to one of HDMI ports, so I just move my browser window to that screen and watch it that way. Not perfect, but works for now
Can you not use firefox or chrome directly on the android system?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

siskue2005

Mogster wrote:
The UK SKY f1 is very very very expensive
What I do is I use VPN to put USA as my location and have taken a F1 TV subscription.
I have a sony android tv, so I can run VPN on it and F1 TV app on it
There is no quality loss, its exactly the same. There is a 50 sec delay, but I dial back the live timings to match the TV.

All these only costs 1/3rd of the Sky F1 Uk subscription :lol:

Juzh

siskue2005 wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 22:39
Mogster wrote:
What I do is I use VPN to put USA as my location and have taken a F1 TV subscription.
There is no quality loss, its exactly the same. There is a 50 sec delay, but I dial back the live timings to match the TV.

Yes, but sky f1 broadcast is in 4k and will work 99.99% of time, something that can not be said about f1tv, though it did work almost flawlessly this year, even with viewer numbers on considerably up compared to last year, so maybe it's now a problem of the past.

Sky also has that red button thingy where you can watch onboard streams in crisp 1080p50 @ 15 mb/s (same ones used for world feed) instead of muddy 720p50 @ 3500 mb/s on f1tv. And then there's "onboard mix" channel with integrated speedo, throttle, brake, gear and rpm (another thing missing in f1tv, most likely on purpose).

Basically if you're a die hard f1 nutcase then sky is worth it, otherwise obviously not so much. Personally I'd probably have both sky and f1tv if were in UK :mrgreen:

AeroDynamic

I’d like to try it. Sky is expensive. I use NOWTV which allows me to only pay for sky sports and nothing else. But that isn’t that cheap either, although it works out only a little more than F1 tv + vpn I think.

Now tv offers some of the red button features. You can get onboard streams for the top 3-4 grid or front runners. You get the onboard mix channel etc.

I’ll give F1 tv ago to weigh up the pros and cons of the experience.

cooken

Juzh wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 18:37
siskue2005 wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 22:39
Mogster wrote:

Yes, but sky f1 broadcast is in 4k and will work 99.99% of time, something that can not be said about f1tv, though it did work almost flawlessly this year, even with viewer numbers on considerably up compared to last year, so maybe it's now a problem of the past.

Sky also has that red button thingy where you can watch onboard streams in crisp 1080p50 @ 15 mb/s (same ones used for world feed) instead of muddy 720p50 @ 3500 mb/s on f1tv. And then there's "onboard mix" channel with integrated speedo, throttle, brake, gear and rpm (another thing missing in f1tv, most likely on purpose).

Basically if you're a die hard f1 nutcase then sky is worth it, otherwise obviously not so much. Personally I'd probably have both sky and f1tv if were in UK :mrgreen:
The loss in quality is unfortunate, but for a for die hard F1 nutcase I would argue something like F1 viewer (https://github.com/SoMuchForSubtlety/f1viewer) is the way to go. Is that possible with the sky broadcast?

It's a bit of work but well worth it to have several concurrent streams all on one display.

Jolle

Cuky wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 19:58
Got a SONY Bravia as well, but because I use Apple stuff heavily, I also have an Apple TV hooked up :D (I actually never use any of the Sony's smart stuff)