2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jjn9128

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

lio007 wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 16:22
I don't know, but did anybody else spot the front Pull rod suspension in the AT-video, posted a few days ago on Twitter?
I know it's just a render, but could this be a new 2022-trend? Since 2014 I only think Ferrari and McLaren had front pull rod suspension.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIlW-MPWUAI ... me=900x900

The showcars obviously didn't have pull but push rod:
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/F ... 863451.jpg
It's just the short nose version of the FOM 2022 car
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

lio007

jjn9128 wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 17:22
lio007 wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 16:22
I don't know, but did anybody else spot the front Pull rod suspension in the AT-video, posted a few days ago on Twitter?
I know it's just a render, but could this be a new 2022-trend? Since 2014 I only think Ferrari and McLaren had front pull rod suspension.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIlW-MPWUAI ... me=900x900

The showcars obviously didn't have pull but push rod:
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/F ... 863451.jpg
It's just the short nose version of the FOM 2022 car
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... f=1&nofb=1
Oh my bad. Sorry.

godlameroso

Who's going to be slick and turn the beam wing into a ducktail with outwash outer edges?
Saishū kōnā

theVortexCreatorY250

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

godlameroso wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 05:57
theVortexCreatorY250 wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 01:45
godlameroso wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 01:22

By stopping the y250 from migrating inboard, but it also interfered with y250 formation if it was too far forward. The stagnation pressure at the cape inlet also steered the y250 as a high pressure trough steers hurricanes. But I'm drawing a blank as to what was meant by downwash from the y250. Help me out here. How would no y250 stop a cape from helping to channel front wing airflow to the floor a bit more effectively? Other than it being illegal per regulations ofc.
The downwashing side of the Y250 hits the cape edge at almost 90 degrees - most importantly the cape vortex can only exist if the Y250 provides the downwash. The goal here is to NOT make the cape provide clean air but rather lots of mixing. Notice that the cape is counter rotating to the Y250 BUT co-rotating to the barge board floor slots and the floor leading edge vortex generators. The whole aim of these cars is to spin the air one way under the floor to get more mixing. The cape is the first, then O-nose fences (where applicable) then barge board slots, then floor leading edge vortex generators and finally diffuser strakes.
So the y250 downwash raises the pressure on the top surface of the cape, creating the pressure differential between the upper and lower surface to make the CC cape vortex?

The nose on the new cars and the front wing connecting to it can create a CC vortex, the nose cone acting like an endplate for the inboard wing elements.
The direction would be the opposite way to the current cape as the air is upwashed onto the underside of the nose which wouldn't be beneficial for the floor. But the regs stipulate minimum radius' all around the nose to prevent sich an action. I'd image teams would be using the maxium sized fillets possible.
I create vortices

wogx

FIA is using those aggressive sidepod inlets in their renders, so I assume, that teams can use that space in their constructions. Would it be possible to recreate something like F2008 side wings there, or must it be a continuous surface, when viewed from above?
blue - side wing
yellow - more conservatively shaped sidepod
green - side impact structure
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

El Scorchio

Apologies if this has already been asked (and it may well have on the 108 pages of this thread....) but does the way these new cars supposedly- as far as I understand, which admittedly is limited- deal with getting dirty air/wake/turbulence out of the way mean that slipstream will be (much?) more powerful this season than before?

jjn9128

wogx wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 12:26
FIA is using those aggressive sidepod inlets in their renders, so I assume, that teams can use that space in their constructions. Would it be possible to recreate something like F2008 side wings there, or must it be a continuous surface, when viewed from above?
https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comme ... tmJgIW.jpg
blue - side wing
yellow - more conservatively shaped sidepod
green - side impact structure
No. The sidepod inlet box has to just be for sidepod inlet. However the box around the cockpit entry doesn’t have a minimum radius. So I expect some winglets or deltawings and some complex bits around the mirror join.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

El Scorchio wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 13:42
Apologies if this has already been asked (and it may well have on the 108 pages of this thread....) but does the way these new cars supposedly- as far as I understand, which admittedly is limited- deal with getting dirty air/wake/turbulence out of the way mean that slipstream will be (much?) more powerful this season than before?
No. Slipstream is the same process as dirty air so slipstream will be less next year. That’s why drs is staying.
#aerogandalf

El Scorchio

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 13:49
El Scorchio wrote:
No. Slipstream is the same process as dirty air so slipstream will be less next year. That’s why drs is staying.
Ah, got it- thanks! Hopefully less silly arse qualifying sessions then.

jjn9128

El Scorchio wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 13:57
jjn9128 wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 13:49
El Scorchio wrote:
Ah, got it- thanks! Hopefully less silly arse qualifying sessions then.
Never.
#aerogandalf

djos

El Scorchio wrote:
Aside from producing a cleaner wake behind them, cars should, in theory, be able to follow more closely and race harder as most of the downforce is being produced by the much more efficient under-body wing (Venturi tunnels) which isn't as sensitive to dirty air as regular wings.

I'm super hopeful that this will be the case as the basic Aero formula is going to be very similar to the Champ Cars of the '90s and early 2k's which had some of the best open-wheel racing ever IMO.
"In downforce we trust"

SiLo

Wasn't sure where to post this, but do we know how much more the new wheels are going to weigh vs the old ones?

Edit: I don't want to delete even though it's the wrong thread, just want to point people here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27487&hilit=2022&start=435
Last edited by SiLo on 11 Jan 2022, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Felipe Baby!

dave kumar

SiLo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 15:22
Wasn't sure where to post this, but do we know how much more the new wheels are going to weigh vs the old ones?
Check out the 2022 tyre thread, Blackout posted some info just the other day...
Blackout wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 16:07
Marty_Y wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 22:15
jjn9128 wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 15:46

Is that total corner weight or tyre weight? I imagine the former.
https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula ... es-expect/

Why Formula 1 Is Going to 18-Inch Tires, and What to Expect
Move to 18-inch tires is part of the wide-ranging technical changes being introduced for 2022.

BY PHILLIP HORTON
DEC 22, 2021
Drivers also had to get used to the slightly different view, with the new tires larger and thus making seeing the curbs harder, while overall there is an 11 kg weight gain from the four tires: 2.5 kg front, 3 kg rear. A few drivers tried out the new wheel covers, which may feature LEDs for potential sponsorship purposes, but knowing the effect of these so far is tricky due to the different aerodynamics and braking systems for 2022.
Isola says car mass increased by 14 kilograms due to heavier wheel/rim assemblies, split roughly 3kgs per front wheel and 4kg for rears.
https://racingnews365.com/how-pirellis- ... -f1-season
Formerly known as senna-toleman

FW17

dave kumar wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 16:40
SiLo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 15:22
Check out the 2022 tyre thread, Blackout posted some info just the other day...
Blackout wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 16:07
Marty_Y wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 22:15

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula ... es-expect/

Why Formula 1 Is Going to 18-Inch Tires, and What to Expect
Move to 18-inch tires is part of the wide-ranging technical changes being introduced for 2022.

BY PHILLIP HORTON
DEC 22, 2021

Isola says car mass increased by 14 kilograms due to heavier wheel/rim assemblies, split roughly 3kgs per front wheel and 4kg for rears.
https://racingnews365.com/how-pirellis- ... -f1-season
That is only the tyre weight, rims must be a lot more

wogx

heavier wheel/rim assemblies
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.