2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AeroDynamic

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Some posts smells with some kind of agenda to make Lewis look like one of the greatest =D>

Seriously speaking. Most drivers would like to race no matter what. They have no choice if they test positive for covid. But if they are Ill most will still try. For example, Max and Checo in USA, or Mark Webber when he was throwing up… or a lot of athletes really, maybe Gary Lineker when he had diarrhoea on the pitch :lol: I think Hamilton is no different and would’ve attempted to race that weekend and the one he tested positive for. But of course, if you’re coming from some other point of view about how great or not Hamilton is, what his agenda is etc.. then naturally you’ll read your own narrative into it.

Lenient treatment, sounds familiar with what we saw last season for one particular driver (hint it wasn’t Lewis) it’s fascinating that people want one driver to enjoy all the advantages and still claim them to be worthy of admiration.

The magical Mercedes engine can’t be that magical If it took grid penalties was fresh engines just to be fast enough. The Honda was pretty magical to push the RB which was one of the slowest cars on the straight and fastest around corners. Having a slower car at cornering as a trade off for faster on straights, is not down to engine specifically, but aero philosophy.

Lewis has to drive the car with less downforce / grip than a high rake philosophy in those regs of last year, with the sports most successful car designer overseeing its impeccable downforce. Call it magical? Mercedes had to engineer extreme no-rake squatting on straights and full downforce wings on the car to fight the red bull.

I think many of the field could potential go as fast or faster in a car they are as comfortable and suited to, with as much downforce by the best designer, to take corners like no other.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 11 Jan 2022, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

Ryar wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 18:26
proteus wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 16:58
El Scorchio wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 14:34

I can understand it hanging on the outcome of that. He likely wants an assurance that his (or any other driver’s) blood sweat and tears, and hard fought championship can’t be ripped away by a fool in race control at the last second ever again.
It is delusional to think he wont be returning. I remember how he also came running back when Russell performed fantastically with his car, even though he was allready a champion and still suffering from covid. He could have easily let George to drive for another race, but instead he came back and almost died after the race due to the physical strain. He wont let the chance for 8th championship go by. He might even be getting lenient treatment by stewards because of Masi....

I get some of the people here are diehard fans which will be triggered by my opinion - which is how i see it, but dont throw away your common sense because of it. He will be back. And there is a 90% chance he will get the title. The magical Mercedes engine alone is the game changer.
This subject is a good PR for media, forums, Lewis and Mercedes, especially when there is no racing.
The only thing that bothers me and which i dont get is why are we trying to fool ourself? It is completely normal that he returns, he has the speed and he has the team to win again. No need for this fasade of depresion and hurtness. He can come back and kick ass, why doing all of this fake show about quiting and retiring if there is no actual intention to do it? Is anybody really buying that?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

AeroDynamic

proteus wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 18:35
Ryar wrote:
proteus wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 16:58

It is delusional to think he wont be returning. I remember how he also came running back when Russell performed fantastically with his car, even though he was allready a champion and still suffering from covid. He could have easily let George to drive for another race, but instead he came back and almost died after the race due to the physical strain. He wont let the chance for 8th championship go by. He might even be getting lenient treatment by stewards because of Masi....

I get some of the people here are diehard fans which will be triggered by my opinion - which is how i see it, but dont throw away your common sense because of it. He will be back. And there is a 90% chance he will get the title. The magical Mercedes engine alone is the game changer.
This subject is a good PR for media, forums, Lewis and Mercedes, especially when there is no racing.
The only thing that bothers me and which i dont get is why are we trying to fool ourself? It is completely normal that he returns, he has the speed and he has the team to win again. No need for this fasade of depresion and hurtness. He can come back and kick ass, why doing all of this fake show about quiting and retiring if there is no actual intention to do it? Is anybody really buying that?
Maybe it buys influence and pressure? Kinda like when some were saying they were put in hospital (ahem, by F1 for a check up)

AeroDynamic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59951382

Some senior F1 insiders are concerned that the governing body has not fully grasped the threat to its credibility created by the final race of the season.

One senior source told BBC Sport that Mercedes had dropped their appeal against the results of the race after agreeing a quid pro quo with the FIA.

This deal was said to be that Masi and FIA head of single-seater technical matters Nikolas Tombazis would no longer be in their positions for the 2022 season.

Mercedes deny that any such deal was reached, and insist that they dropped their appeal after receiving assurances only that the issue would be treated seriously and appropriate action would be taken by the FIA.

Several senior figures have told BBC Sport that they do not see how Masi can retain his position as race director, but some have cautioned that the FIA is in a difficult position because there is no obvious replacement.
I didn’t catch if the quote in bold is specifically quotes from senior figures inside Mercedes’ or in formula 1 generally.

proteus

AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 18:37
proteus wrote:
Ryar wrote:
Maybe it buys influence and pressure? Kinda like when some were saying they were put in hospital (ahem, by F1 for a check up)
Exactly. These are more boys with toys, then men in racing cars.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ryar

AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 18:58
proteus wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 18:52
AeroDynamic wrote:

I don’t think it’s that bad these days. It was only the one driver last year that is taking us that direction. So there is hope. They say hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. We don’t need racers behaving liked they’re scorned after a trip into the wall of which they shared blame for. Those Instagram tweets he typed out from his bed while taking selfies with his Pappa were just a little OTT imo. But I think it’s the product of a culture problem inside Red Bull.
I smell so much senseless frustration in this one post. What is it adding to Mercedes team thread?
Hakuna Matata!

proteus

AeroDynamic wrote:
proteus wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

I don’t think it’s that bad these days. It was only the one driver last year that is taking us that direction. So there is hope. They say hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. We don’t need racers behaving liked they’re scorned after a trip into the wall of which they shared blame for. Those Instagram tweets he typed out from his bed while taking selfies with his Pappa were just a little OTT imo. But I think it’s the product of a culture problem inside Red Bull.
I would say Lewis was fine as long noone was threating him, but last year Max stepped on his nerves by being faster and less mistake prone. Monaco, Imola and Baku were the biggest indicators that Lewis was not with his head at the game, while British GP was his response with which he probably believed he will manage to get under Max skin, but he failed to do so.

There are allways two needed for a squabble, one way or the other and two they were both involved and willing. Both acting more like children then men. Hopefully they clean their act together for this season and let the best man win.

proteus

Modern race operation looks more like a launch of a rocket into space then a motorsport. Maybe this should have been limited, with drivers racing and tactics being decided at pitwall. Computing power must be quite big for all of this.

AeroDynamic

Ryar wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 19:50
AeroDynamic wrote:
proteus wrote:

I smell so much senseless frustration in this one post. What is it adding to Mercedes team thread?
I think the frustration is just in your imagination. But we should go back to discussing Mercedes!
proteus wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 19:51
AeroDynamic wrote:
proteus wrote:

I would say Lewis was fine as long noone was threating him, but last year Max stepped on his nerves by being faster and less mistake prone. Monaco, Imola and Baku were the biggest indicators that Lewis was not with his head at the game, while British GP was his response with which he probably believed he will manage to get under Max skin, but he failed to do so.

There are allways two needed for a squabble, one way or the other and two they were both involved and willing. Both acting more like children then men. Hopefully they clean their act together for this season and let the best man win.
That’s interesting point of view. From mine, I didn’t see Lewis reacting to Max that way. More so it was the wheel to wheel antics which he’s known for getting on peoples nerves since he started racing (understandably). I think Lewis did get very frustrated with the car, the team, and himself though. From his interviews pre season they knew they’d be hunting after max, starting with the slower car. I think Silverstone did get to Max and Jeddah as well. I think Lewis was visibly downbeat around France and you could tell his belief in fighting for the title was rocked by that stage. But all changed in the second half of the season. By the end, it seemed like the shoe was on the other foot, he looked pretty immaculate and Max was looking frustrated and more mistake prone. I guess not having the faster car anymore can do that to you.

I really think it’s unfair to look at these racers as children. I think other than Max’s post Silverstone reaction, they handled all the other incidents pretty well (well, maybe not Jeddah so much when Max walked away from the podium, but no big deal) he is still quite young, he never started off from the mature end of the spectrum either so when you look at it all it’s understandable.

Lewis just needs a dependable engine, a car that works as well as the RB did out the box every weekend, and he can do the rest.

Mercedes must iron out those weaknesses I referred to earlier. It’s going to be a tough job managing Lewis and Russel, for both Mercedes’ and Max.

adrianjordan

AeroDynamic wrote:
proteus wrote:
Ryar wrote:
I think the only ones building this story up are the media. They have nothing better to do.

Mercedes have been business as usual on their social media channels and Lewis has taken breaks from Social Media many times in the past.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

PlatinumZealot

I would rather be in a position where Lewis and Russell have to be managed as a pair (dominant car), than to manage them against rival cars.
I really had enough of the FIA interteam politics and unsporting decisions by officials in 2021. Outside of Masi in Brazil, Jeddah and Abudhabi the biggest shock for me was the gross slackening of the overtaking rules. Seems once you hug the inside line you cannot be overtaken no matter what.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AeroDynamic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 22:18
I would rather be in a position where Lewis and Russell have to be managed as a pair (dominant car), than to manage them against rival cars.
I really had enough of the FIA interteam politics and unsporting decisions by officials in 2021. Outside of Masi in Brazil, Jeddah and Abudhabi the biggest shock for me was the gross slackening of the overtaking rules. Seems once you hug the inside line you cannot be overtaken no matter what.
It goes back to 2019. Before Massi, Charlie was wiser and knew better than to listen to the verstappens and co whinging. When he passed, Massi has been doing things at the behest of anyone that puts pressure on him. ‘Let them race’ has been a farce from day 1. Max wouldn’t survive F1 in the 2000s - would’ve loved to see him race Fernando ‘have to leave a space’ Alonso those years under Charlie :lol:

hollus

On topic, please! Max does not drive for Mercedes, Charlie played no part this season...
Rivals, not enemies.

Marty_Y

This article has already been posted but I think a key thing in it is what has been said about Masi, I don't understand how he can keep his job.

What he did practically amounts to match fixing because he deliberately didn't follow established procedures and threw the rule book out of the window to influence the outcome of the race.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59951382
Masi then failed to apply the rules correctly in two different ways.

Normal protocol is to allow either all the lapped cars dotted through the field to un-lap themselves so they do not interfere with racing on the restart, or leave all in place.

But Masi allowed only some of the lapped cars in between the leaders to un-lap themselves - sending the five cars between Hamilton and Verstappen through so they were not in the way, but leaving all the others in place, including the two cars between Verstappen and third-placed Carlos Sainz's Ferrari.

In addition, Masi ignored a rule that dictates that the race restarts at the end of the following lap after the lapped cars have been removed, and restarted it a lap early