FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wogx

FIA Thread

It's quite weird, but i didn't found a thread that's focused on FIA, so...

A Polish journalist found out, that:
The names of Masi and Tombazis are no longer present in the updated FIA governance structure files.

Big, if true.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

SiLo

Re: FIA Thread

I was literally just reading this:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/motorsp ... entnewsntp

Daily Express so its a terrible source, but I always wondered if this was the only real play Mercedes could make after dropping their case.
Felipe Baby!

rscsr

imho that is the only right decision. But they have to make some changes still. It can't be good, when the teams are able to talk to the Race Director directly.

SiLo

rscsr wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 11:44
imho that is the only right decision. But they have to make some changes still. It can't be good, when the teams are able to talk to the Race Director directly.
They have already agreed to stop this from happening.
Ross Brawn, Formula 1's managing director of motorsports, has revealed they will stop team principals from being able to speak to the race director during Grands Prix next season.
Felipe Baby!

AeroDynamic

wogx wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 11:00
It's quite weird, but i didn't found a thread that's focused on FIA, so...

A Polish journalist found out, that:
The names of Masi and Tombazis are no longer present in the updated FIA governance structure files.

Big, if true.
Where? I don’t believe any of is true. It isn’t consistent with the reports of Massi having a bigger role with more power, a few weeks back. I also don’t think FIA have the spine to do the right thing, let alone a replacement. They proved this in 2019.

If they robbed a Ferrari driver of a title in these controversial circumstances, I’d entertain the idea of these things happening. I’d even go as far as saying if it went the other way around, they would’ve not needed a protest to do anything. Because a race director would’ve screwed up their agenda to see a new face with the trophy and that wouldn’t go down well.

Wouter

This was still on on Jan 2 2022 See Single Seater. Masi and Tombazis.

This was on Jan 10 2022. Single seater Bayer.

The Power of Dreams!

Martin Keene

I was just about to post that. Looks fairly concrete to me

El Scorchio

I believe part of the deal of Mercedes not pursuing the events of the GP further was their insistence that both men were removed from their roles, so it's possibly in the works and rightly so, especially with the clown Masi. The FIA need to get their act together and they have a lot of trust and confidence in them to rebuild.

AeroDynamic

Wouter wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 12:45
This was still on on Jan 2 2022 See Single Seater. Masi and Tombazis.

https://teddit.net/pics/w:2048_yt1u29ksv5b81.jpg

This was on Jan 10 2022. Single seater Bayer.

https://teddit.net/pics/w:1134_550w39ksv5b81.jpg
Thanks for providing this Wouter.
Here’s a link for anyone who wants to visit the official and original source:

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... y_2022.pdf

Interesting development. I’m intrigued and I’m open minded that there may be more to this than I originally thought. We shall see.

El Scorchio

Just out of interest, what is Mercedes' beef with Tombazis? It's obvious what it is with Masi, but I'm less clear on the other.

_cerber1

El Scorchio wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 13:18
Just out of interest, what is Mercedes' beef with Tombazis? It's obvious what it is with Masi, but I'm less clear on the other.
Was Tombazis in charge of technical regulations? If so, then perhaps because of the 2021 regulation that hit hard on the MB concept.

Jolle

_cerber1 wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 13:29
El Scorchio wrote:
Was Tombazis in charge of technical regulations? If so, then perhaps because of the 2021 regulation that hit hard on the MB concept.
More a case like, the new regulations are set, job done, move on. Bit like how Brawn is stepping aside at Liberty.

AeroDynamic

_cerber1 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
Correct. Another ex -Ferrari guy from the famed dream team era who ended up controlling the sport along with Brawn, Todt, and now Domenicali.

I think as individuals several of these people deserved to be where they were, but too many ex-Ferrari people running in senior roles in the sport was a conflict of interest for the sport imo. I find it hard to imagine Max would’ve handled the Ferrari debacle the way Jean did. 😂

Was Tombazis responsible for the engine mode rule changes? That was a pivotal part of dismantling Mercedes dominance. We understand Ferrari have been working closely with the FIA since 2019 to basically tell them how to stop other teams breaking the rules (that’s the good part) but probably also how to disarm Mercedes most potent engine weapon; the party mode, in the guise of warning the FIA of other grey areas teams are taking advantage of. I just wonder if Tombazis was a critical player in the change of that rule?

Come to think of it, having the new FIA president with no strong previous ties to a team can only be a good thing.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 12 Jan 2022, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

_cerber1 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
Possibly. That would make some sense, particularly if (IF) they have any sort of actual evidence it was done specifically to hinder them vs their competitors in 2021. That, added to Masi's antics would make for some quite unsavoury thoughts about the underlying integrity of the sport.

KeiKo403

Until the roles are displayed again on the website with different names and a confirmation from the FIA that the 2 men are either far removed from F1 related roles or from the FIA altogether I can’t help but not read too much into it. The FIA are far too underhand for me to believe anything just yet.

Signs are looking good though…
Replacement wise though, who?