2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Team: McLaren F1 Team
Base: McLaren Technology Centre Woking, Surrey, United Kingdom
Team principal(s): Zak Brown (CEO), Andreas Seidl (TP)
Technical director(s): James Key (TD), Andrea Stella (RD)

Race drivers:
3 Daniel Ricciardo

2021 Results:

4 Lando Norris

2021 Results:

Chassis: MCL36
Engine: Mercedes V6 Turbo

This thread is to discuss the 2022 Mclaren F1 TEAM
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 12 Jan 2022, 00:15, edited 5 times in total.

SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

We have been discussing the 2022 season and expectations in last year’s team thread… Let’s get the McLaren 2022 season discussion started.

With such a massive change in regulations, it’s hard to have a good idea of what to expect in 2022. Nevertheless I believe that there are several factors that could have a positive impact in 2022:

A) Team Stability: The Team hasn’t gone through meaningful changes going into 2022, therefore we could expect that the different functions will mesh well together, from design, production, track performance, drivers and of course leadership should be at a very high level this season.
B) The Drivers: Both Norris and Ricciardo are great drivers. Norris proved himself in 2021 and if he continues to develop in 2022 as he did for his first 3 seasons in Formula 1, he will be one to watch for this season. Daniel didn’t had the start that we wanted with the team last year, but his skill and experience isn’t under question, hopefully he will deliver what we know and expect from him this season.
C) The Car: Still a big unknown how good the car will be, but the people behind it’s design are more than capable, the MCL35M was an improvement over the MCL35 and James Key and his team did a very good job considering the limitations of not only the token system, but the fact that they couldn’t really change the concept from the previous year. With a blank canvas, he will have his chance to show what he can do when he has the resources at his disposal.
D) The Power Unit: The Mercedes PU has been a reference all through the hybrid era, the one that all measure themselves against. The Team now has had in the back of the car for a year and should be fairly familiar with it, allowing potential gains from that knowledge in terms of packaging and cooling. More critically, it is regarded as a very reliable unit, with the new regulations, the amount of laps that the teams put in during testing and the beginning of the season will be key for the development of the car.
E) The Leadership: Zak has done a fantastic job assembling a high performing team and more importantly to bring back needed sponsorship to the car and help stabilized the team from a financial perspective. On track, Andreas calm demeanor and experience with championship winning teams have also provided stability to the on track operations.

I’m excited about the 2022 season and can’t wait to see what the Team is creating for it… Who knows, they might be a challenger sooner than expected!

SmallSoldier

Interesting colors… Will we see all of them on the car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

Also, it seems that there will be a new numbering font for 2022:

wogx

SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 17:16

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202201 ... a7fb43.jpg

Teams aren't wrapping F1 cars with plastic foil... Probably those are vacuum bags
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

SmallSoldier

wogx wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 19:22
SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 17:16

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202201 ... a7fb43.jpg

Teams aren't wrapping F1 cars with plastic foil... Probably those are vacuum bags
I honestly thought it was the vynil used to wrap them (which were wrapped in plastic for protection)

adrianjordan

I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I actually find the idea of VW Group buying the entire McLaren company and entering F1 as McLaren Audi very appealing.

Though as an Audi driving McLaren fan, maybe I'm a little bit biased 😂
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

SmallSoldier

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:41
I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I actually find the idea of VW Group buying the entire McLaren company and entering F1 as McLaren Audi very appealing.

I don’t like the idea that much, I’m afraid that it may make them lose their individuality and their essence as a privateer team and their individuality as a car manufacturer… But it won’t be surprising if the offer is good enough for Mumtakalat.

My biggest concern is mainly with the future of the team in F1 if they are bought, in the past the VW Group hasn’t hesitated to withdraw from competitions, such as both Audi and Porsche leaving WEC, Audi just left Formula E… While for someone such as a Private Equity Group, the Formula 1 Team is an essential part of McLaren, for someone such as VW Group, it may not be as important… It could also be the end of McLaren in F1 if they would decide to simply rename the team “Audi F1” if some accountant thinks that it brings more value to the group.

bauc

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 17:04
adrianjordan wrote:

I don’t like the idea that much, I’m afraid that it may make them lose their individuality and their essence as a privateer team and their individuality as a car manufacturer… But it won’t be surprising if the offer is good enough for Mumtakalat.

My biggest concern is mainly with the future of the team in F1 if they are bought, in the past the VW Group hasn’t hesitated to withdraw from competitions, such as both Audi and Porsche leaving WEC, Audi just left Formula E… While for someone such as a Private Equity Group, the Formula 1 Team is an essential part of McLaren, for someone such as VW Group, it may not be as important… It could also be the end of McLaren in F1 if they would decide to simply rename the team “Audi F1” if some accountant thinks that it brings more value to the group.
I don't like it as well, to me Mclaren must remain independed constructor or it will use itself in the corporate handovers from one ownership to another ect....
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

I'd prefer they prop up a weaker team like HAAS or Alfa. Aside from Financials, McLaren don't look to need Audi. Even Finaicals might just be a short time thing.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 21:45
SmallSoldier wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

I'd prefer they prop up a weaker team like HAAS or Alfa. Aside from Financials, McLaren don't look to need Audi. Even Finaicals might just be a short time thing.
Agreed… Unluckily it is just a numbers game, if VW Group makes a good enough offer, it will be sold…

It would be better if they would go after someone like Alfa or Haas, but McLaren does bring the automotive side of the business which may be also of interest for the Group… It would certainly make the VW Group lead the luxury / sport market space (Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley and McLaren? That’s a very strong line up… But, do they need so many brands fighting in a similar space?)

djos

adrianjordan wrote:

I don’t, the Volkswagen group is rotten to the core (Porsche excepted), they blatantly cheated their emissions compliance likely resulting in millions of premature deaths from diesel particulates, just to make a few extra dollars per car.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz

I don't care either way as long as we are able to build a rocketship and we can start taking it to the guys at the front. We have a great team in place at the moment so hoping we surprise everyone this season! Can't wait.

Jolle

If VW’s interest is real, it could be a good thing. VW/Audi has a pretty decent track record with high performance brands and supporting them (look at Ducati for instance).
The two last periods that McLaren was successful, they were under an other companies umbrella. First PMI basically ran McLaren as their motorsport marketing department, with unlimited financial support and after that Mercedes bought a majority stake in the company.
In F1, since the eighties you either need a blank check from someone like PMI (or RedBull) or the backing of a force like Daimler.
As for the company as a whole, Covid struck them at a time that refinancing the investments that payed for setup for automotive and buy back shares from Daimler/Dennis became increasingly difficult and sometimes even impossible. A big company with a longer view then when the next payment is due, might be very liberating