FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SiLo

Re: FIA Thread

jjn9128 wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 15:41
Again in brazil - Mercedes wing was measured and found to be outside tolerance. Whereas the Red Bull wing was repaired under parc ferme, as many teams take advantage of at every race, but was never found to be in an illegal state.

IMO it's just Toto being Toto, a blowhard who will whine and complain about every perceived injustice whether he has a leg to stand on or not. I'd expect the same from any team principal, only difference is Toto seems to have too much influence over the sport for my liking.

Expect Tombazis to be announced as Brawn's replacement at FOM.
I don't think it's anything to do with Brazil, they were just unlucky that some screws came loose. Technical regs do now allow for intention, so even though they weren't trying to cheat, they got disqualified anyway.
Felipe Baby!

KeiKo403

Big Tea wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 17:11
Something came up in a link from that article that I had not considered. I was reasonably confident Hamilton would not 'walk' without another title, just to set the record, but I had not considered him 'taking a sabbatical' as they put it. The more I consider this, the better option from his point and Merc point I see it being.

There would not be a direct conflict of new Russell v established Hamilton.
Hamilton would not have to break in a new car, He could consider his feelings on not driving but without having burned his bridge back next year if he reconsiders.
Merc would be looking for a single year replacement so drivers like Vettel become a viable option. They could even run the sim driver for a year, or part of a year to better establish the setup comparison. They need not consider long term.

After the year, there may be other options on the driver market, or Hamilton could come back.
Possibly helping to maintain his win in every season he’s competed in stat?

SiLo

KeiKo403 wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 17:43
Big Tea wrote:
Something came up in a link from that article that I had not considered. I was reasonably confident Hamilton would not 'walk' without another title, just to set the record, but I had not considered him 'taking a sabbatical' as they put it. The more I consider this, the better option from his point and Merc point I see it being.

There would not be a direct conflict of new Russell v established Hamilton.
Hamilton would not have to break in a new car, He could consider his feelings on not driving but without having burned his bridge back next year if he reconsiders.
Merc would be looking for a single year replacement so drivers like Vettel become a viable option. They could even run the sim driver for a year, or part of a year to better establish the setup comparison. They need not consider long term.

After the year, there may be other options on the driver market, or Hamilton could come back.
Possibly helping to maintain his win in every season he’s competed in stat?
I really don't think he cares about that stat as much as people on the internet do.
Felipe Baby!

Ryar

Big Tea wrote:
Merc would be looking for a single year replacement so drivers like Vettel become a viable option.
Imagine Vettel jumping in and finds his mojo with the ground effect car giving a strong rear end like that of his red bull years and goes on to win the title again. :)
Hakuna Matata!

AeroDynamic

Ryar wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 18:17
Big Tea wrote:
Merc would be looking for a single year replacement so drivers like Vettel become a viable option.
Imagine Vettel jumping in and finds his mojo with the ground effect car giving a strong rear end like that of his red bull years and goes on to win the title again. :)
I’ve no doubt Vettel would shine with what he needs for confidence, but the problem is, drivers like Leclerc and George can probably match it or beat it in the same team. Vettel is still kinda unproven outside of that Red Bull. We know he can beat Mark Webber but that’s it. The Italians were reportedly not as Impressed with the times he set when he took over from Alonso. I would love to see Vettel fighting for a title and winning again, he is possibly my favourite driver on a personal level.

El Scorchio

We seem to be veering wildly off topic here

fritticaldi

Prior to sacking Masi, the new FIA president has to remember that the Australian Federation has an important role in the FIA and is worth 24 points in the governing body.

El Scorchio

fritticaldi wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 19:23
Prior to sacking Masi, the new FIA president has to remember that the Australian Federation has an important role in the FIA and is worth 24 points in the governing body.
As in voting points? This is something I'm not really familiar with. How many points are there in total? Would be interested to learn a little bit more. Although I wouldn't think that alone is enough to get rid of or retain Masi.

fritticaldi

El Scorchio wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 20:33
fritticaldi wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 19:23
As in voting points? This is something I'm not really familiar with. How many points are there in total? Would be interested to learn a little bit more. Although I wouldn't think that alone is enough to get rid of or retain Masi.
[/q
I wasnt familiar myself. I am trying to look for an answer but this seems to be hard to obtain on the FIA page . The delegate for Australia is Garry Connolly.

fritticaldi

Who will replace Michael Masi ? I think Eduardo Freitas WEC race control director could be a serious candidate.

AeroDynamic

Toto can be cited saying “[we cannot be] held ransom by ad-hoc decisions in every field, be it technical or sport” it must be something about Brazil wing, if the rumour about Tombazis has credibility.

jjn9128

fritticaldi wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 21:34
Who will replace Michael Masi ? I think Eduardo Freitas WEC race control director could be a serious candidate.
Scott Elkins I think is the only other qualified candidate they considered when Whiting died.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Stu

AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 21:35
Toto can be cited saying “[we cannot be] held ransom by ad-hoc decisions in every field, be it technical or sport” it must be something about Brazil wing, if the rumour about Tombazis has credibility.
Items either pass the tests, or they don’t. Apparently the wing didn’t. That isn’t “ad-hoc”.
Team principals/personnel badgering the race director during a race is, and is not acceptable.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

El Scorchio

I'd like to know exactly how much that happened in races this last season. Presumably a hell of a lot more than we heard as we know they are selective about what they broadcast. It felt like Jonathan Wheatley never even took his finger off the 'Masi' button and to a lesser extent you heard Ron Meadows as well, but did they even play any comms from any other teams?

Jolle

I don’t expect the net FIA president wants to start with a random thingy. I don’t buy that. About Masi, I think it’s very obvious that he was at the basis of many controversies the past few seasons. As for the rest, maybe he disliked the Ferrari deal and is eradicating the ex-Ferrari people that made that deal, now Todt is gone?
Clean ship, fresh start. Get all the skeletons out of the closet.